Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

List control with expandable sub-query detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

List control with expandable sub-query detail

I apologize as I am a complete noob with AA. I've looked for several days now combing the forum and the video library and haven't found a scenario that fits into what I am trying to do. Maybe it is a nested list, but here's the basic gist of it using northwind data.

I would like to create a list of customers. If you click on a customer, I would like it to expand to show the orders for that customer. I don't want it to go to a separate screen, but to be able to expand for the current customer to show this sub-data. Kind of a list within a list.

It's kind of like a group that can expand/contract, but I couldn't get that to work. It's not showing the details of the individual record, so I couldn't get the hidden <div> to work either. I thought about a tree, but gave up on that as I want it to be flexible in formatting that the list provides.

My actual need is more complex, but at least with that simple basis, I believe I can expand on it from there. I've seen this type of interface in mobile applications, so I know it can be done. I just can't figure out how to do it with AA.

Any comments are extremely welcome at this point.

Re: List control with expandable sub-query detail

One VERY simple way would be to build another list and set it as a child list set to pre-load (or not) based on the linking method that might apply for you, for instance, linked on a "customer_id"
    Once the list exists, you then add a button or some other triggering event to show that list already filtered.

Another method would involve a view - create a view containing just the customer info and the related product info, then display the data in a way of your choosing. I do beleive a view would be MUCH faster than a linked sql query but you can test it out as an alternate method. Provided you only need a few fields it might be irrelevant. One thing I have learned is that the more you can break down your application into smaller parts the faster and more "native" the application seems to feel to the end user, and certainly a web app can be sped up by limiting not just the number of fields but the overall number of controls.

The great thing about AS is we can build it out in so many ways! Sometimes it takes a bit of planning especially when you as teh developer KNOW as you stated that your needs may even be more complex. So in short, always try to reduce the number of controls to minimal - and break up your application into smaller embedded UX's that way the initial UX will load faster and not load things until you actually need them!

~Good luck and happy coding!
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

While Alpha is open, click on Help, Videos and filter the List for "Displaying Hierarchical Data". You'll find 2 videos which may help. UXL_V12--71 utilizes SQL data.

Comment

Thank you!!! I wasn't even aware of the videos available within the software. That will definitely help in finding examples.

Comment

OK, so I know I can do it by creating 2 lists and then touch the customer and have it go to a separate list that displays the orders (with a back button to go back to the customers). I'd like it to be more "mobile" than that though and if possible, touch the customer and it expand to display the order details for that customer without leaving the existing list. It saves having to click a back button to get to the customer list and then click another one. Ideally, it would be able to expand/contract so that only one sub-detail is ever visible. I've seen applications do this and it seems like an intuitive interface, so I was hoping it might be possible with alpha.

My other option is to just use the group header method and keep the detail on the screen. It's busier and they don't always need the orders, but it would work. Then I could make use of the summary numbers as well for displaying counts and totals in the group header. That's probably the way I will approach it for now, but will continue to search for that "elegant" solution as well.

Comment

Working...
          X