Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

UX with Map Stopped Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UX with Map Stopped Working

I have a mess and can use some help.

I have a UX Component that I designed in 2016 and did some minor revisions in 2017. The customer used it hundreds of times, over the past 2+ years, without any incident. The customer is a "seasonal" business and had been using the component, without issue, for the past 3 weeks.

Two days ago, he started getting an "Oops! Something Went Wrong!" error message on the map (see attached image) that makes it impossible to use the component:

I've been trying to figure out what could have gone wrong for the past two days. The component does NOT work in my development version either. It's been frustrating! So, I decided to start with a new, blank, UX and rebuild the component. I started by adding a plain "map" control (using all of the defaults). When I clicked "Live Preview," the map displayed correctly. So I saved the component. When I tried to display it again, I got the same error (as the attached file) and the error displays even if I close and reopen the component. Obviously, I can rebuild the component. If a simple map control won't display in Live Preview, there's no point in going further.

Two things to note:
    1. Before I saved the component, the Live Preview did display the map. As soon as the component is saved, the map does not display in Live Preview.
    2. The map DOES display properly in "Working Preview"... BUT the original component (that has all of the controls and code) DOES NOT work properly in Working Preview

I don't even know where to go or what to do. I'm stumped and would really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. I'm thinking that is has something to do with the IIS Server and the Development Server that's part of my Developer Version, but I have no other issues and I've been creating/editing other components, every day, without issue.

I hope someone can help.

Phil

and the component and functions stopped working (the rest of the application works, without issue). Here's the error message (but you'll want to read beyond it):
    Attached Files

Re: UX with Map Stopped Working

Have you verified your API key https://developers.google.com/maps/d...pt/get-api-key and the javascript console for errors ?
    https://appsbydesign.co.uk/

Comment

Going back to 2016 to present and remembering some of the issues I had I recall one where the map markers were the issue. If you are using the numbered markers with an older version of AS, Google stopped hosting the markers causing an error. Mumfie is right also in that if your keys are not right, working preview might appear to work but live will not although I do not know the specific reason as to why that can happen but again, it is probably something that you host when testing that when live Google does.
      It would be super helpful if you said what version of AS (including the server version) that you are running - but again, it is probably somethign to do with the google maps API changing over time and older versions of AS may not work with maps. Are you serving the UX on an SSL secured server?
      NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Your Alpha Development Version and Build are ??? And your Alpha Server IIS version and build are the same as your development version?

What does the browser console report when this error occurs?

Comment

THANK YOU so much for writing back. The Alpha community is so generous to give its time to help a frustrated programmer.

You're absolutely amazing. I've been working on this for 4 days and spent more than 15 hours trying everything. I'm happy to say that the component(s) are working perfectly NOW, thanks to you.

In case it will help others, here's what I found and here's what fixed it:
          1. Per Mumfie's suggestion, I checked my API key. The API key I was using was a couple of years old. Because I didn't know how to verify it, I signed up for and requested a new API key. As soon as I added the new API key to the UX (and saved it), the component worked perfectly, in "Live Preview," for the first time in 4 days. I published the component(s) (there were other components embedded in the UX) and IT WORKED (see before and after images attached)!
          2. I'm delighted that it's fixed (I'll finally be able to sleep, again, tonight), but I'm confused about why it suddenly stopped working on or about 5/19. I'm not using any paid Google services, so there weren't any unpaid bills... and I didn't think there was an expiration date for the key.
          3. Charlie, I appreciate your suggestion about the older markers. In this case, it didn't apply, because, for this Application, I used custom markers (png images that are on the server). You can see the design on the attached file (maperror3.jpg). The different colors represent the different types of loads on the trucks. It's very cool!
          4. Finally, David, I apologize. I should have included the AA versions with my original post. FYI, when the problem occurred, I had been the latest release/build for BOTH the IIS Server and the developer build (5028_5088). Out of my frustration, yesterday, I decided to try the latest pre-release build (5098-511), in case there were bug fixes. Even though it's not a fully supported build, I'm going to keep that version installed, until the next official release (Here's a question: Is it possible to go back to a precious version after I've updated with a newer patch? Just curious).

Going into this holiday weekend, I can't thank you enough. This one was causing lots of stress and I can't tell you how pleased I am that it's behind me.

Have a great holiday. I appreciate your help and hope I can return the favor, sometime in the future.

Phil
          Attached Files

Comment

It'd be interesting to know if there were errors in the browser console.

With Alpha... many times it's just a question of trying the latest pre-release. I wish it was not the case but Alpha won't follow a patching path for the "official" release. The Audit feature was added to 5028 and it was either broken at that time... or broken for at least the 2nd time in 506x somewhere. It was fixed in a pre-release sometime this week. But it's all frustration and guessing to figure it out. Sometimes fixed bugs are reports... most of the time not. I like Alpha Anywhere, but it's beta software at best most of the time and we're the beta testers.

I can't confirm IIS, but with Developer and WAS it's usually possible to re-install a prior version patch... as long as any newer features had not been used in component.

Glad to hear you got your stuff working again.

Comment

Thanks... that's good information.

I agree about the patching, etc. Even worse, I've found that when I update my WAS or IIS Server with a new, major update, many of the older components stop working, until I:
              1. go into the component;
              2. make some insignificant change (usually I find a "textbox" and change it to "textarea" and then back again) and re-save the component; and
              3. Republish to the server

It becomes embarrassing because I don't know which components aren't working, until I'm notified by a customer. I love that they're constantly updating the platform and creating new features, but I wish there were an easy way to update all of the components in an Application to the new version (the application, that uses this "map" control, is an older application, before I became experienced with Lists/Viewboxes, that has more than 175 components... I don't update them, until the customer tells me something isn't working)

Anyway, I really appreciate your help. I was so lost on this one... I've been programming with Alpha for a long time (2009), but I was losing my confidence with this problem.

Have a great weekend.
              Phil

Comment

There is an option to update all components. Knowing Alpha... you'd best take an extremely thorough and secure backup before using it.

In the Web Projects Control Panel menu, under Edit, there is a selection for Bulk Operations... and then a selection for Update UX Components. This will show all your UX Components and let you select operation options... one of which is Recalculate.

Comment

Concerning the IIS server updates affecting old components, I now install new versions of the server in a separate folder (something like: A5V12 Application Server for IIS_5028).
                  Then when I want to publish an app, new or updated with a new version of the IDE, in the publishing profile I change "Location of Alpha Anywhere Application Server" from Default to Custom.
                  Choosing "Custom" then adds the "Path..." property to fill in with something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\A5V12 Application Server for IIS_5028

That way, all my old apps continue to run off the older versions without the need to make any modifications to them.

Comment

David and Jeff, those are excellent suggestions. I didn't know about the "Update UX Components" in the control panel. Can't wait to experiment with that (AND I certainly appreciated your words of "caution"... I always do backups, before doing anything major, so I'm glad you added that caveat). Jeff. that's an interesting suggestion about IIS server. I have to study how to use that practically when Alpha does a major update., and I really appreciate your advice.

Comment

Here is some Alpha documentation that probably explains it better than I do:

https://www.alphasoftware.com/docume...20Versions.xml

Comment

Working...
                      X