Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Is Mobile the Correct Solution for Our Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Mobile the Correct Solution for Our Shop

Hello. We are a small furniture repair shop. We have employed Alpha software for many years to help manage our job shop. I am not a technical user.

All our employees have smartphones and we would like to use AA to provide their devices with more timely information.

Our current situation:
    - Alpha Anywhere v4.0 (12.4.0)
    - Our alpha system has been kludged together over the years
    - 3 terminals running Windows 10 desktop version over a wireless network

- We use Alpha to do the production administration our business. Keep track of customers and their jobs in our shop.

- Twice weekly, using AA, we print a hard copy priority report showing our craftsman what to work on.

- Size.
    - 6 employees with +- smartphones (Apple and Android).
    - Generally we have around 100-125 active jobs
    - 11,000 customer records and 32,000 historical job records.

We wish to:
    - Push information to the shop and become more proactive
    - Put the Priority Report information on craftsman’s smartphones
    - Use their smartphones as terminals to replace the printed priority reports
    - Provide pictures of work for identification
    - Data lookups

- Minimal input from shop floor users.
    -Check job done,
    -Capture information for time reporting
    -Comments

- All mobile interaction would be over our wireless intranet

In my ignorance, I assumed the mobile functions of AA would tie into our current A5 databases in .adb format. I’ve been reading the forums and working through the tutorials and I did not realize the need to involve using a SQL backend database when using a web project. This is another level of complexity that we do not wish to get into

Any recommendations for a course of action to take. Is there an “smart” way to deploy the information to smartphones over our Intranet? Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by stevenw; 06-04-2018, 01:00 PM. Reason: text cut off

Re: Is Mobile the Correct Solution for Our Shop

If for you the use of SQL backend is complex, then I suggest you create a web app instead of a mobile app. You say that all communication is over the intranet, so you don't need disconnected, and you don't indicate that you will use the phone app outside the shop, so I'd stick to the easiest way.
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Looks fine to me, I agree with Pat - I would use a device independent design, that will run in a browser on mobile devices and the desktop, that takes advantage of panel cards, Viewbox and List controls in a UX, they will deliver what you want, no so sure dumping the .adb format your files and users are only small. You should be able to preserve you table investment removing disruption to current work flows if you design it right. I think it will go well for you. It's not hard.
      Peter
      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
      Albert Einstein, (attributed)
      US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses. Pat is correct, 1)I do not anticipate needing disconnect and 2)all work will be on location, at our shop. I am investigating developing our solution via a web app.

My first dumb question. What is the difference between a 'web app' and a 'mobile app'?

Comment

Steven, a web app runs in the browser, like Chrome or Firefox. (I'd stay away from Edge or Internet Explorer) That means you can use it on any device that can run a browser which means now days all of them. It will look and run the same on all the devices. A mobile app runs on a mobile phone using the phone's resources. It must be built using phonegap and would typically be phone or tablet only. That means you need other programs on your desktop machines. That is, more work to do. But it is terrific if you are out in the field or up on a rooftop.
          Pat Bremkamp
          MindKicks Consulting

Comment

I would agree with everyone else, do a web app, and design it to fit on a mobile phone when viewed in the browser of choice.

Mobile apps are only really needed if you want
            Complex offline capabilities
            To reach an App Stores user base.

We have done a web shop for our customers in Alpha, we have only been working on the platform for 18 months. This took us < 3 months and works on mobile, tablet and desktop. Its way more complex that what you describe above, and we were/are still learning alpha.

Comment

While smart phones are handy and available, tablets have much bigger screens and easier to read.

Are you sure you want to restrict your screen real estate to a 5 inch screen?

If you have a screen large enough, you can use a terminal emulator to bring the desktop system screen to the smart device.
              Al Buchholz
              Bookwood Systems, LTD
              Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
              Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
              "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
              Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Just use the panels and list control and it will work in anything.
                Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your input. I have been busy the last day and a half rebuilding our computer system after Microsoft's latest Windows 10 upgrade. Thanks Mr. Nadella. Networking and printer issues.

I plan to attack the web app solution. It sounds like it will do what we need. Provide timely information and communication to/from the craftsman at our repair shop.

I may also investigate a tablet solution. My quick inquiry shows that AA only runs on windows based tablets, Correct?

The power and flexibility of AA can be overwhelming. Your professionalism, generosity and sharing of time and knowledge on this forum is amazing. I really appreciate your help and directions.

Comment

My quick inquiry shows that AA only runs on windows based tablets, Correct?
                    No. Once you deploy your web app it will run on any device or browser. The only limitation as alluded to above, if you build it for the web, it may not "fit" on your phone. But otherwise you can run your app on an Ipad or Safari, etc.
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
                    X