Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Playing Video Causes Mobile App To Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playing Video Causes Mobile App To Crash

The way you're using CloudFront there is, essential, no difference to S3. You're not actually streaming from S3, rather downloading and playing.

CloudFront will stream, but you must set it up that way. Streaming is delivering content in chunks.

Comment

I set up CloudFront with rmtp pointing to my S3 bucket. I see the cloudfront domain name but cant figure out exactly what url I am suppose to use to stream to the Alpha video player. I have tried:

rmtp://xxx.cloudfront.net/cfx/st/s3bucketname/video.mp4

and

rmtp://xxx.cloudfront.net/cfx/st/s3bucketname/mp4:video.mp4

Do you know the correct format of the rmtp url I use to stream to the Alpha video player?

Comment

Have you included cfx/st/s3bucketname in your Origin Path? I'm just guessing.

I can't get Streaming to work with S3 and CloudFront. When I upload my videos they are split into chunks... but I can't get access to them.

Comment

There is this site to test your cloudfront rtmp video:

http://d1k5ny0m6d4zlj.cloudfront.net...amingDiag.html

I tested mine and it plays fine. So I assume the url is suppose to be rtmp://xxxx.cloudfront.net:1935/cfx/st/mp4:videofile.mp4. However, I still cant get it to play in Alpha Video Player. Any ideas?

Comment

This involves adobe flash which I won't have anything to do with because it's old and full of holes and no one with any sense still uses it. I don't think this is the way CloudFront currently streams video. If it is, I've made a mistake looking into it. I'm still looking for the correct URL to use.

Comment

I got the http using Cloudfront working using the Cloudfront http URL but my app is still crashing sometimes when trying to play the video. Sometimes it works fine, I wonder if it has something to do with it not playing the first time an item is clicked from the list control to bring up the video player and set the URL and it isnt a internet connection issue? Maybe I should submit it as a possible bug? I am on version 12.4.4.5 Build 4491

Comment

If you set up an rtmp service and you're accessing your S3 video using http then I don't think you're streaming. What is the URL you are using to access your videos?

Comment

I set one up for http and one for rtmp in CloudFront. I dont know if the http is streaming but thought CloudFront could help either way but it doesnt seem to if the problem that is crashing my app is because the video cant be downloaded to be played.

Comment

What is the CloudFront http URL you are using?

Comment

Here is one URL I am using, http://d1wkn3rzw69ygb.cloudfront.net/Winnieexample.mp4

Comment

Thanks... that confirms that you're not streaming. When using AWS CloudFront, CloudFormation, MediaConvert, and S3 you're working with DASH format for Web and Android... and HLS format for iOS.

You're loading mp4 format directly, so it's no different than going directly to S3... except that CloudFront distributes the videos throughout the world (if set up that way) for better access. However, since you're testing in one spot, you would always be accessing your videos from the same source anyway... so no benefit while testing. Your videos are being downloaded in full to your device. The way you're using CloudFront you'd get exactly the same results as referencing S3 directly.
                        Last edited by Davidk; 10-28-2018, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Ok, what is the best way to try to set up streaming in CloudFront to see if that would keep my app from crashing?

Comment

It's really hard to say what might be wrong with your app without reviewing it, seeing how you're loading the videos, etc. It's possible that streaming may help, but what else is going on in your app?

Comment

I think it’s possible it is a bug or something that causes the video url not be assigned correctly on the first click. I think I will submit it to Alpha

Comment

Working...
                              X