Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

List Controls Not Working After Updating Alpha Software Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: List Controls Not Working After Updating Alpha Software Version

No the text box is in the embedded UX (child UX)

Comment

Another thing I noticed, in the List Control when I am in the SQL Genie and do an Execute Query it prompts me for that argument value and when I put in that value it runs correctly. However, when I am in the main screen of the same List Control and click Preview, it doesnt ask me for that argument value and just shows a blank screen.

Comment

I am not sure I understand exactly - if you're trying to set the value of a textbox in the child component from the parent so you can filter the list control - why not just do as I am suggesting in the first place and skip the textbox? The list in the child can be easily filtered from the variable then.
        NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

It just sets the text box control to the value of the state variable. The text box is in the child UX and the state variable is getting set in parent (login component), hence it passes per se. I don’t think the state variable is the problem because it is getting set to the correct value. I think it is something with the argument getting set and the list control using that argument to filter
          What login value is being set to the State variable?

How and where (event) is the child textbox being set with the parent state variable?

It just sets the text box control to the value of the state variable.
          This doesn't say anything. What is "it"? Be specific.

Comment

Steven, in the main dev screen, when you click preview it shouldn't ask you since it's supposed to be as if it were running...in the builder, it's asking so you can supply it as the developer.
            NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Ok in my Parent UX Component (Login UX) in the onLoadComplete Javascript for the Embedded UX (Main app) I have this code that is setting the textbox value in the Embedded UX. The state variable has already been set when the user logins through code in the onLogin event. Below is the code:

var pObj = {dialog.Object}.getParentObject('HoldLoginValue');
              var HoldLoginValue = pObj.stateInfo['HoldLoginValue'];
              {dialog.Object}.setValue('HoldLoginValue',HoldLoginValue);

Ok, this code is working fine because the textbox in the Embedded UX holds the correct value when the user logins in. In one of the List Controls that is having trouble in the Arguments section I have an argument called argHoldLoginValue that sets at runtime to {HoldLoginValue} which is the value in the textbox. Then in the SQL statement in the List Control one of the items it is filtering on is argHoldLoginValue. Does this make sense now? If not I guess I will have to trim down the UX Component and Database and post it. I think the problem is argHoldLoginValue is not getting set correctly before the List Control runs or something. Like I said, all this was working before I upgraded the software and I didn’t do anything but upgrade the software so it is frustrating that all of sudden it is broke now.

Comment

Ok... thanks... now there's some good information to go on.

Here's the funny thing. This post is almost an identical post to one you created exactly 1 year ago...
                https://forum.alphasoftware.com/show...HoldLoginValue

The code you've post in this year's thread could not have worked in 4491. The Child UX onLoadComplete only ever runs once. This may be an issue depending on what you need to do. However, aside from that, pObj will always returns false because the Parent Object is not available inside onLoadComplete.

So... what else is going on to set the Child Textbox control to the State Var value?

Follow last year's solution.

However, you don't really need to use a State Var. You can pass the Child UX Argument a value via the Embedded Component property... Argument Bindings. This does mean you need to set a Textbox control on the Parent to the value needed... but you can use e.control.

If you want to use a State Var... then you can still use the Argument Bindings with the Javascript function option.

Comment

It was working with 4491 with filtering my List Controls how I have it set up now, one thing I remember I had to check the Delay render to visible for the List to show. I probably could go back to Build 4491 and it will probably will work without changing anything so not sure why it is broken now? I looked at my Login UX (Parent UX) more and I do have a HoldLoginValue textbox and then in the Embedded Component property Argument Bindings the HoldLoginValue is binded to argHoldLoginValue. I read through the thread a year ago and the answer how to fix this is not clear to me. So not sure what the remedy is here. Like I said my List Controls were working, I was/am having an issue getting a video to play without crashing my app from this List Control but I assume that has nothing to do with this?

Comment

Steven,
                    1) I have not read all your posts here and I probably won't directly address the problem you are describing. But I am wondering, when you say "state" variable are you perhaps referring to "Session" variable? They are different things.

Both have their caveats. If you indeed are working with "state variables" on the client side then you must be careful and validate their existence before referencing them in client-side code. I do not believe Alpha has addressed the reported issue that state variables do not get a high enough priority of being initialized soon enough in some client-side events. Sometimes alpha will run through your JavaScript code without having initialize the "state" variables. Luckily, in the case I found, Alpha calls your code one more time later on in the initialization process and things work out okay, as long as you have coded your javascript not to crash when the expected "state" variable does not exist.

2) If you are using session variables then make sure their data type is always initialized to a string. You can no longer use other data types with session variables. To initialize session variables in xbasic, some people recommend doing something like this to init them as strings.
                    session.myvar = "" + what_ever.

I prefer seeing it spelled out:
                    session.myvar = convert_type( what_ever, "C")

Also make sure you never DIM a session variable. Wrong way:
                    DIM session.myvar AS C

There were versions of alpha where that type of DIM would create another local variable called 'session' that was different than the global 'session' variable that should already be there.

Just initialize session variables without "DIM"ming them.

session.my_var = convert_type(some_expression, "C")

Comment

So one answer might be to make sure the HoldLoginValue variable is a session variable, the HoldLoginValue variable is an INT now so I would have to convert it to a string? I have another session variable that is holding the user's email address and that seems to be working fine. I thought I heard that everything was moving away from session variables to state variables especially in the mobile app development side?

Comment

The "Session.what_ever" fields must always be initialized as strings now. I am not promoting their use, just saying they have to be set to string and converted back to native types when needed as such.

I do not know if State variables work very smoothly for passing data from one component to the next. I have only used them in situations where I have ensured grid/ux caching is off when calling a component and I let that component check if state variables have already been setup for that component or not. If it detects state variables then it uses them by copy what it needs into the e.rtc variable. If the state variables have not been setup, it creates them such that alpha will preserve them with that component and then I copy those values to the e.rtc variables to use during the current server call.

UX's are nice in that they have good support for "Arguments" - I use them extensively, and not just for piping into the SQL query.

Grid's are lacking in good support for Arguments, I've exhausted myself arguing for more support for Arguments in Grids.

Comment

Thanks, but still looking for the answer what is happening with my List Controls not filtering based on an argument value. Is there a good way to debug List Controls to see what is happening as the code is ran? I know Alpha is low code for the developer but it seems to me the developer still needs access to line by line debugging in situations just like this!

Comment

Originally posted by swest View Post
                            It was working with 4491 with filtering my List Controls how I have it set up now, one thing I remember I had to check the Delay render to visible for the List to show. I probably could go back to Build 4491 and it will probably will work without changing anything so not sure why it is broken now? I looked at my Login UX (Parent UX) more and I do have a HoldLoginValue textbox and then in the Embedded Component property Argument Bindings the HoldLoginValue is binded to argHoldLoginValue. I read through the thread a year ago and the answer how to fix this is not clear to me. So not sure what the remedy is here. Like I said my List Controls were working, I was/am having an issue getting a video to play without crashing my app from this List Control but I assume that has nothing to do with this?
                            You need to provide a sample UX at this point.

Comment

So what is best to post regarding the UX, just a trimmed down version of Child UX (main mobile app) or include the Login UX (parent) too?

Comment

Parent UX with Login... all set up the way you want with arguments or onLoadComplete... and a Child UX with a filtered List.... and a sample SQL table dump with just a few records.

If you don't have it set up exactly the way it's failing for you... with all the pieces... then there's no point.

Comment

Working...
                                X