Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A5 inside nice looking web pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A5 inside nice looking web pages

Hi all,

I'm not sure how to even search for this or where to search so I'm hoping it's okay to post it here.

I've seen some really great looking A5 sites that are clearly not designed in A5 but must be using some kind of other software or template to make the professional looking site and then somehow inserting grids/UX etc into it.

Does anyone have information on how I can try something like that and what drawbacks there were (if any).

Thanks

-John

Re: A5 inside nice looking web pages

John

Can you give some examples of websites you are referring to? Alpha does allow great CSS flexibility if the user has some basic knowledge and patience in exploring options.
    Last edited by gregincolumbus; 10-23-2019, 07:08 PM.

Comment

You can theoretically use any html page or template with Alpha.

Remember that an A5W page is an html page that can access the Alpha web server. If you take the raw html from a third party web template, or a page you design yourself, you can paste that html into an A5w page, and then leverage Alpha's capabilities.

You can drop components into these augmented A5W pages and have the best of both Alpha and the third party page.

Hope this helps.
      Jay
      Jay Talbott
      Lexington, KY

Comment

I'd like to see the A5 website referred to as well. I know that Greg has created one of the best I've seen and all with Alpha. Tracy from MySchoolAnywhere was also gifted at getting an Alpha site to look great.

I've integrated Alpha into some WrapBootStrap templates... but it is not a drop in process. You must pick through the template removing bits and pieces you don't need... a very tedious and often dangerous process as it's extremely easy to break a WrapBootStrap page.

Overall, I think that html and css talent is a requirement.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I was in one of the Wednesday (I think) webinars that Dave and Dion do (or used to do) weekly and Dion showed an application he was working on that used a web template with A5 grids "dropped" in. I think also on one of Steve Wood's webinars on Friday's someone showed an application that looked, to me at least, like it was a web template with A5 girds and UX's. I think I remember a demo of MySchoolAnywhere at one of Steve's webinars too. My memory isn't what it was.

Jay, I bought a video by you on integrating Xara andA5 several years ago. I was using Xara 7 back then and have never upgraded. Do you know if the newer versions of Xara still works with A5 and if it's worth upgrading? or do you recommend finding a website I like copy-paste the HTML and go from there?

-John

Comment

I have not kept up with Xara, so your research would yield the same as mine would.
            You could certainly try the the copy-paste technique your suggested.
            Jay
            Jay Talbott
            Lexington, KY

Comment

Here is a brief screencast of one page in my website that uses some custom CSS but is 100% Alpha.

https://www.screencast.com/t/CipFYpaKf6

I created a stylesheet and use the linked css file option the properties area of the UX so that I can access the stylesheet easily throughout my website. I am still experimenting (latter part of the video) in using W3 Css stylesheet in addition to the one I created.

I would consider my CSS skills to be novice but with some persistence I was able to make a site built in Alpha not look like the typical Alpha website. Always room for improvement but it is definitely not cookie-cutter.

Comment

regarding Xara, I've built a number of sites using their tool with imbedded Alpha components (grids and UX). I'm currently using Xara 11 Premium. I've found two things to be careful with when using Xara and Alpha
                1) Page height doesn't adjust automatically. Result is Xara footers don't move up/down automatically based on the number of rows being displayed. I either set it up for the grid/list to have a max number to display, or I simply render the footer from the Alpha component instead of setting it up in Xara. Either way, this becomes a design and behavior decision
                2) Responsive behavior isn't as smooth as it should be on mobile phones. The responsiveness is great when the pages are run outside of the Alpha WAS. But when the page is run from the Alpha WAS, the sizing can get off kilter a little bit when switching between landscape and portrait modes.
                Here's a couple of sites I built using the Alpha/Xara combo
                https://cornellshuron.com
                https://www.axlesurgeons.com

Comment

Oh wow, thanks for the responses. Jay, thanks, I might try to see what happens in their new versions. Greg, that looks nice and clean, I like it. David, great stuff. These are the things I was asking about, my pages look like crap and this has given me a shot in the arm to try both the CSS and try again with Xara.

Thanks a lot.

-John

Comment

I used to build all of my websites using a builder like many people, also WordPress - now I find it pretty simple to build a responsive site in AS. The biggest hurdle was placement of parts and the structure and that is where the CSS and the Style are most important, especially since designing for web apps that are also used by those on mobile devices.
                    Here are a couple of screenshots from a racing app I am working on for fun.
                    Red4424_Login2.JPG
                    Login
                    profilesetings.JPG
                    Expanded-Menu: Settings
                    weightset.JPG
                    ipad-horizontal
                    weightset-ipad.JPG
                    vertical-ipad
                    weightset-iphone.JPG
                    and finally an iphone vertical

the last 3 images are all the same panel-card with minimal usage of auto-collapse. The point is, while visual builders make it easy to "place" items in todays world those visual builders just dont seem to have the same abilities that AS has in terms of cross-platform builds. You can place things about anywhere with the proper layout and the chrome debugger will help you "see" it to make those adjustments you might more easily do in a visual builder.
                    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the advice. Looks good too!

-John

Comment

You can use any tool to create HTML/CSS for AA. First, you have to find a page designer that will export a site to clean HTML/CSS files. You'll want to pick a tool that will define a common <header> and <footer> section. This way you can use that code to create a common "template" as a wrapper for your a5w pages. One of the tools we have used is called "nicepage". It has a free trial and you would use the HTML version of the tool (they also have Wordpress, Joomla, etc.). Image shows our AlphaCORE site (haven't been able to finish yet due to other projects) and it uses this process. I can detail it out for you if you want. You can also populate sections of a page by using database content. Anyway, it's all possible and you can create really nice looking AA apps. If you want more details just contact me directly and I can assist you. I'm showing this image because AlphaCORE has a content management system (when available) built in which allows you to easily incorporate any html design. But, I don't have a solid release date on it, so you are on your own for now. But I can help you with the basic setup if you want.

Please note other pages aren't ready on that site - do not register and all that - please.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by WebDesignShop; 11-02-2019, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the reply. I'll go take a look at Nicepage and try it out.

-John

Comment

Working...
                          X