Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Automatic instance restart, but with no current sessions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic instance restart, but with no current sessions

I have a web app with two servers, each with 4 instances of Classic Alpha Anywhere. The app is in use 24 hours a day with worldwide customers.

Right now, I use AlwaysUp to restart all instances on Friday night, 6:30 PM EST. We notify all our users of this standing policy so this is an expected maintenance period that I often use for other things as well.

I think in the past it's been recommended that instances be restarted once a day but that would just kick off too many uses throughout the week - I can't do that.

We've generally been getting by with the once-a-week maintenance. But now our user base has grown enough and the instances are used heavily enough that I believe the instances need restarting more than once a week. Memory usage on all of them is climbing past 1500 MB. This is a good indication that problems are about to develop, and sure enough I start to get a few complaints for the day or so before the maintenance period.

So, I have a couple options:

1) Simply schedule a 2nd maintenance period during the week, or
    2) Set AlwaysUp to restart instances when memory passes a certain point.

#2 would be best, but I'm still not satisfied. I'd like to find some way to allow or cause an automatic restart, but only if there are no active sessions on the instance.

And that's the kicker - I don't know if this can be managed.

So, I'm looking for a graceful way to automate instance restarts, without randomly kicking off logged-in users.

Any thoughts on how to manage this?
    -Steve
    sigpic

Re: Automatic instance restart, but with no current sessions

I think the safest thing to do is declare a maintenance schedule to all users: At 12am a restart will occur lasting 7 minutes (or less). I think if becomes a known timeframe users will accept it without concern. If the need is only once a day set a preferred time, and notify your user base.
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Alpha has had a long standing memory usage/leak problem (my opinion only). As evidence of this many of us use AlwaysUp to manage this issue.

Not sure what version you're running but in today's pre-release notes Alpha mentions (in the bugs section) about another memory leak that was fixed. Not sure if this is your issue or not.

Ashampoo_Snap_Friday, January 31, 2020_12h39m26s_001_.png
      Mike Brown - Contact Me
      Programmatic Technologies, LLC
      Programmatic-Technologies.com
      Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

Steve, with the Classic Application Server there is no way for you to restart only when there are no active sessions.

This another case where the Application Server for IIS excels and will solve issues for you. IIS Application Pools have a number of conditions you can use to trigger a restart, restarts are automatically overlapping so there is no interruption in service, and session state is maintained through the restart so there is no need at all to wait until there are no active sessions. I know you have a lot on your plate like most developers do, but this is one of several concerns that it would take off of that full plate for you.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
        Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
        Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

If you are (mostly) getting by with once a week, then going to 7 times a week is way overkill. One more maintenance period on Tuesday should be enough. How do you allocate users to server instances? Some kind of load balancer? If you can assign your users by time zone, then your maintenance could be midnightish by hemisphere. Or if server 1 would have a Tuesday maintenance and server 2 a wednesday maintenance, users could connect to the other server on that day if they can choose.

Quickest and easiest solution, if you are going to throw money at the problem, would be to convert one of the 4 server licenses to an 8 server license and add instances.
          Pat Bremkamp
          MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Steve, take a look at the Monitor tab of Always up. You can try the using the following options:

1. Every Day at XXX time (but stagger each of your 8 instances by, say 15 minutes)
            2. But only if the following conditions are met:
            a. It has been idle for at least XX minutes (we used to use 10 minutes)
            b. Keep trying for 60 minutes

This worked well for us, even during our busy period spikes. However, we were primarily US based so could stagger this from midnight west coast time on.

I know you're more global so it may not work as well for you but I'd start here and see if it helps.

Comment

Thanks for the good discussion. I think we'll try Jay's approach first.
              -Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X