Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Launching Mobile Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Launching Mobile Apps

No... not quite absolutely. You can use Windows... it's not pretty... but you can. Have a look at the PhoneGap Build doc... in the section... Signing.

To use a Mac you don't have to own a Mac... you could use something like macincloud.com. I've not tried this, but have heard of others having success.

However... I knew that I'd always have a need to renew keys, get new keys, etc... so I picked up a Mac Mini. There's always an extra keyboard and mouse around... and usually a monitor... or you can pick up an inexpensive one. Doing this... you've got more control over your life... and way more fun.

You can get the least expensive Mac Mini and it will be more than enough for what you need.

Comment

I just got this
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/152429528132

I think it will work, certainly cheaper than renting a mac...after reading a bunch of articles about the VM machine it seems that would be amajor waste of time and effort. I see no other reason than profits to require a mac to make apps for an iOS - especially when there is nothing machine dependant other than the required files to say what? To say I used a mac to generate them, it says nothing about security. I thought the DUNNS number was a bit much but at least trying to determine if someone is a legit business makes sense.

Anyway, like you said buy it cheap have some fun, etc.
      NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

I picked up one of the last Core-i7 Quad-Core, 1TB HDD, 16GB Ram Mac Mini from Apple. They changed to a Duo-Core machine after that. I swapped out the 1TB HDD for an SSD and have the 1TB running as an external drive. It runs 2 monitors and Parallels (for Alpha when I need it). Quite a little machine.

Comment

WOW - 16gb of ram in a mini I have been looking for a replacement for my desktop and thought about those. Currently, I am running an IBM server as a desktop, it was given to me as a gift from a friend when a (big chain) computer store closed. Its only got 5 gb of ram but two 3.2gb physical processors and dual power supplies and it has been running for years non-stop and no trouble. Due to the limitations of the older processors it cannot run windows 10 so I am stuck at win 8 pro. heres a link to the machines PDF
          https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/re...NUS105-073.PDF

I keep everything (files) in external drives outside of the OS whenever possible, so I don't think I would mind changing to a MAC

Anyone have any recommendations on an iOS machine that would work great as an AS development machine? So far I have not had need of more than 5gb of ram but it seems like all the newer stuff has a lot more.
          I do run two monitors, two external drives and almost always have 3 USB drives connected so USB ports are a must for me!

I am not very familiar with iOS machines, I do not want to spend more than 800, of course I do what I have to - I just want to stay under that if possible. I would say max price 1200. Again, the goal here is to turn my current PG app into an app for iphones, not replace my desktop NOW that said if the machine is more robust than the server I am currently running, I'll retire the dinosaur even though it works like a champ daily.
          So it looks like the best way to create an iOS native application is to at least own a mac - I want one.
          Do you think the 60 dollar one I purchased will do the trick?
          Will I need to install AS on it?
          Can I develop and upload to PG build using my current windows machine?
          And finally - do I just need the MAC to create the two necessary files for PG to then generate the file I send to apple?
          NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

I used the Mac mini as an Alpha dev machine for 3 months... as an experiment. I didn't mind it, but it wasn't for me. One enormous advantage is that because you're running Parallels you can back up your entire Windows install, apps and all, with just a simple file copy. I loved that part.

Your Mac mini has the processor to run Parallels, but I doubt the RAM will do it. You have to allocate processor and ram to Parallels.... which needs 4Gb ram minimum.

I think you're confusing your OS... iOS will not run Alpha Dev. You need a Mac OS... and Parallels.

There's a bit more to the Mac side than just creating 2 files for PGB (and it's PhoneGap Build... not PhoneGap... the 2 are just different enough to matter). The Apple app testing and submission process is far easier with a Mac. You'll want to use TestFlight and iTunes Connect... which make the whole process much simpler.

Comment

Your right - I am confused...and please forgive me if I should know this from reading the directions. I usually read directions as a last resort, lol.
              So to build an iOS application I have to develop it on a mac using AS and create cert files and a provisioning file to upload to phonegap build?

I thought I just need to create the cert files on the MAC then upload them to PG build which would in turn generate the file I send to APPLE. I am also under the impression I can develop on my current windows machine and upload it to PG build.

At this point I just want to develop and test on my ipad air2 then once done offer it to my customers.
              What do I really need?

Comment

Develop your app under Windows. Whether that's on a Windows PC or on a Mac running Parallels (which is running Windows and Alpha) doesn't matter.
                Use the Mac to generate your .p12 file. Upload the .p12 file and Provisioning Profile to PGB. PhoneGap Build has full Doc on this. Alpha (Bob Moore) also put together a guide.

PhoneGap Build : http://docs.phonegap.com/phonegap-build/signing/ios/
                Alpha Doc : http://documentation.alphasoftware.c...ap.xml#group_1

You can't wing this stuff... you must read it, understand it, and apply it. Doing anything else will end up in a world of hurt.

Comment

I read it...still feel like I am winging it. My first and most important question is - will I be able to generate the necessary files on the mini mac I purchased? I have a developer account with apple, and my android app is well under way.
                  I have to say - I cannot beleive how easy AS has made this - looks like they did all the hard work making the process a seamless transition from desktop web application to full on disconnected app and I haven't even began to dive into the actual fun stuff of being a native phone application...
                  Cheers!

Comment

I believe your Mac mini will do the job for what's required by PhoneGap Build and iOS app submission.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesParker View Post
                      I read it...still feel like I am winging it. My first and most important question is - will I be able to generate the necessary files on the mini mac I purchased? I have a developer account with apple, and my android app is well under way.
                      I have to say - I cannot beleive how easy AS has made this - looks like they did all the hard work making the process a seamless transition from desktop web application to full on disconnected app and I haven't even began to dive into the actual fun stuff of being a native phone application...
                      Cheers!
                      Almost all Macs are quite old models at the moment. At the end of year situation may be different. Check here.

You can not build native apps using Phonegap. You build native applications using objective c and swift (iphone) and java (android).

Comment

Your right, I gotta watch my words!

Comment

Finally got it together with my 65 dollar MacMini2! Had a few hurdles to jump, number one the OS on it only goes to OsX 10.7.5 and the safari web browser that is supported (comes with) is version 5.1 or something and the apple developer website will not generate the certificate because the browser errors stating that the file reader API isn't supported - you'll need to update safari to at least version 6 which you cannot update the safari browser independantly as it is part of OsX and of course this discontinued Mac cannot be upgraded due to hardware issues I imagine.
                          Soooo,
                          Next step was to download Chrome - it supported the file reader API and played nice with the apple developer website. I found it hard to believe Apple wouldn't support it but I guess they're on to better things and figure developers shouldn't be using such old stuff anyways, lol.

So anyways, the certificate request - creating the keys, exporting the private key with a password as a P12 and the provisioning file, then uploading all that to PGbuild - and finally downloading the app to my approved device, had a helluva time finding the UDID for that - finally it worked. Got the UDID btw from connecting my ipad to the mac and looking in the info for the mac and it's connected devices. I thought that should be eaiser to do but again, whatever.

With all of the preliminary things out of the way, I can now upload my project to PG and install the app on my iPad. Looking back I guess it isn't too hard but criminy - I still cannot see why all the hub-bub, android is so much easier to deal with.

So I guess now I can offer some advice for someone trying to do it from the stand point of complete NOOB - btw I haven't read either of the docs in David's post, lol I winged it! I cannot say I recommend that route but that's just my style I learn from doing it wrong I guess. Call it a personality flaw.

Really cool though to finally have an icon on my iPad knowing I did it - thanks to AS and all the great folks on here - now on to the fun stuff of trying to incorporate bar code and or qrcode scanning and all the coolness that goes with. I might even go ahead and read the documentation now!

Comment

"I cannot say I recommend that route but that's just my style I learn from doing it wrong I guess. Call it a personality flaw."

That's called wisdom.
                            Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Hi Terry
                              Is this what is called progressive web development.

Peter G
                              Last edited by gagsoft; 09-19-2017, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Hi Dave
                                I basically have the same setup only mine is an i5.
                                I am experiencing issues with launching the "Sample And tutorial workspace" demo mobile app.
                                Alpha says it "could not create folder for new workspace.
                                I am trying to establish if it is a Parallels issue or a Windows thing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
                                Peter G
                                Last edited by gagsoft; 09-19-2017, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X