Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Using AppLauncher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using AppLauncher

Did you try to use "client.ismobile" as a condition rather then trying to identify specific types of devices ? There will always be devices that will not yet be supported/recognized and with the pace mobile devices come to market it will ask a close follow up with Alpha I suspect.
    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

There is some documentation located in the pre-release version notes located here. Scroll down the page a bit or search for "AppLauncher Component" in the page. It is a fairly detailed description.
      Jim Coltz
      Alpha Custom Database Solutions, LLC
      A5CustomSolutions.com
      [email protected]

Comment

Yeah, I had 3:

1) Ios
        2) Galaxy
        3) IsMobile

to no avail for a Samsung Google S.

But don't worry, I halted the work. I want some proper documentation first, I don't like running blindfolded. Too much obstacles around....

Comment

I think -not sure- that Alpha may need to setup some webpage that you can browse to, identify your device (brand, model, os version, browser version etc) with a device so that they can grab whatever is in the header so that they can update their database for the applauncher. This is going to be an ongoing something because every device will have it's specific behavior & anomalies and I don't think Alpha will buy each & every mobile product that is around worldwide.
          Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

the expressions that you define in the applauncher to select the startup component has full access to the browser's user agent string.

in other words, when you define the expression to select the startup component in the applauncher, in addition to system fields like 'client.isIpad' and 'client.isMobile' there is also a field called 'client.userAgent'

this is the full user agent string returned by the browser, and your expression can look for 'flags' in this string.

basically when we set the value in the client.isPhone field we are just looking for certain flags in the userAgent string.

by analyzing the useragent string yourself in your appLauncher expressions you can make a much more 'fine grained' decision about that component or page to launch.

Comment

Hi David,

Thanks for the Video.

Regards,

Doron
              The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.

Web site: http://www.dFarber.com
              Blog: http://www.dfarber.com/computer-consulting-blog.aspx
              Alpha Five Developer
              Convert MS Access to Web
              Remote DBA Services

Comment

It appears that the App Launcher ignores some of the settings in the security settings. For example, I have a setting to go to a log in processing page to perform some session setting before redirecting to the post-login page. My list controls that are filtered by one of those session variables are not working. Has anybody else had trouble with this?

Comment

I take it that you are using the login feature of the applauncher ?
                  Frank

Comment

This site contains a list of all useragent strings http://www.useragentstring.com/pages...gentstring.php

Comes in handy when using 'client.userAgent' in the Applauncher
                    Frank

Comment

Yes, I should have stated that. I am trying the login feature of the app launcher. My old login scheme works fine with the session variables and post-login processing page. I might try using the app launcher page POST login and see how that goes.

Comment

I can confirm that if you use the sequence: Login then redirect to a login processing page (as defined in the security properties for your project) and THEN redirect to the AppLauncher page...that session variables are honored and the app redirects the user to the proper component as defined in the app launcher.

Comment

Originally posted by gregincolumbus View Post
                          It appears that the App Launcher ignores some of the settings in the security settings. For example, I have a setting to go to a log in processing page to perform some session setting before redirecting to the post-login page. My list controls that are filtered by one of those session variables are not working. Has anybody else had trouble with this?
                          The login in the app launcher (as well as the login in the tabbedUI) does igniore some properties that are not applicable in that environment. The App launcher is intended to specify the next target component or page, and the TabbedUI should normally stay on the TAbbedUI after login. Therefore the property "Redirect page after login" has no meaning in those contexts and is ignored.

There are a couple other properties that really only apply when using the login component. The context help in the Security Settings genie has been changed in the latest V12 pre-release to specify which properties apply to the login component only.

If you want to set session variables after login when using the App Launcher, you can use the "onLogin" server-side event and set the session variables there after a successful login
                          Code:
                          if e.loginSucceeded = .T. 
                          	'set session vars 
                          end if

Comment

Thanks Jerry....very helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper87 View Post
                              I'd be interested to know how to navigate to other a5w pages using the applauncher
                              I am curious as to how to do this as well because i have a TabbedUI sitting on an a5w page and wasn't sure if just loading the tabbedUI alone would allow it to work in the same way? (There is some free form text at the top of the a5w page).

Thanks

Comment

Josh,

I built a basic login component and placed it into a5w page.

I have a login processing page as my landing page after successfully logging in. This was setup in the security settings for the appl.This page handles setting many session variables, etc that are used by the web app.

The last item on that processing page is a response.redirect. This redirects to the a5w page where I placed my app launcher component. That then handles the variables I setup regarding where to go based upon device, etc.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X