Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Problem with list refresh, anyone experience this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with list refresh, anyone experience this?

I have an ajax callback which updates a sql database record

If the callback is successful I then do the following....

{dialog.object}._listRefreshRecordsByKey('Entered',recid);

The refresh sort of works, instead of the field data I get the field names for the record that was refreshed, I get field data for all the others as they were not refreshed.

If I go from panel 1 to panel 2 and back I then get the data. It's as if it does not complete the rendering and replace the field names with the data.

I have tried adding a refresh commands to redraw the screen but it does not work.

attached is the screen with the error.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tom

update_error.png

Re: Problem with list refresh, anyone experience this?

Tom,

Could you walk through a process for re-creating what you have, or post a test case so that we can re-create what you're getting?

Comment

Hi David,

This is a complicated UX so recreating a test set is time consuming and I am also looking at a redesign as a workaround. But functionally, what is happening is there is a list control, the user clicks on the control and navigates to a new panel where they can edit two fields of data for that list item. They click an update button and an AJAX callback to update the mYSql table is made. If the callback is successful a javascript function is called to refresh the list control record with the updated data. I know the callback is working, but when the list refreshes I get field placeholders instead of data. See the image in the first post.

Below is the javascript that is used to refresh the list.

It gets the primary key value and passes it to the list refresh function. I later added the last two lines in an attempt to force a refresh, but I get the same result with or without the last two lines. If I navigate away from the panel and return to the panel I get the data. It's as if it fails to complete the rendering process.

Code:
      //This will refersh the list after update
      function updatesaved() {

{dialog.object}.panelSetActive('PANELCARD_3','true');
      var recid = {dialog.Object}.getValue('recid');

{dialog.object}._listRefreshRecordsByKey('Entered',recid);

var listObj = {dialog.object}.getControl('Entered');
      listObj.refresh();
      }
      Thanks,
      tom

Comment

I createe a UX component that contains a List Control. When you click on an Item, a Panel slides into view containing a couple of fields from the List control.

I edit a field and click Submit. My Edit panel slides out of view and my List is visible with the changes.

This component is data bound, uses Action Javascript for filling in the UX controls with data from a table and uses the Server-side event afterDialogValidate.

(The afterDialogValidate also sets e.javascript to set the active panel back to my List Panel. Edit: This isn't required... afterDialogValidate has an option to take care of this.)

Do you have to do your own Ajax Callback to update your two fields?
        Last edited by Davidk; 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Hi Dave,

I'm using the Ajax callback for the update as the CRUD operation was add a new record instead of updating the existing record. When you say you used the fields from the list control did you directly reference those fields or did you create new fields that matched those in the control. In my UX when the user clicks on the row the panel sides to an edit panel which has defined fields that are populated through javascrpt. When the user clicks the Update button the callback is made and the data from those fields are used to update the record. My approach should not matter since i don't refresh the list control until the update is completed. I don't think this is a simple failure of the control but rather a compounding of everything else I have going on with this. My list is data bound to a Data Series and maybe that is part of the problem. I'm going to look at that a little more closely.

Thanks for looking at this.

Tom

Comment

Correction, it's not bound to a data series but rather to a SQL query statement.

Comment

Ok, I found a workaround. After the update I amended the javascript so that it completely re-filters the list.

Instead of using the row refresh I am using the following which is used to generate the list at the start.

Code:
              {dialog.object}._filterList('Entered','actiondate=:a_date','',params);
              This seems to work fine and allows me to MOVE ON !

Thanks

tom

Comment

I tried to match what you described. On Panel1 I have my List. On Panel2 I have two textbox controls.

This List control is populated with a SQL statement.
                The textbox controls are data bound to the same table as the List control.
                Textbox data population is Action Javascript
                Textbox update is Server-side afterDialogValidate

As long as you got it working.

Comment

Here's a really simply UX illustrating the process discussed in this thread, bound to the Northwind.mdb with a connection named "northwinds". I think this is a pretty good example because it primarily uses the tools with little coding. It's pretty much just like one of the examples in the video list except that here we're moving between panels.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X