Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Is the mobile design anywhere near efficient?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the mobile design anywhere near efficient?

The emphasis on the word 'mobile' is the issue here, if people are prepared to open their minds to new and better opportunities as they are presented and then present those opportunities to clients, then the phone will start ringing again for those needing new work from existing customers and generate new.

I find the ability to be able to merge the new tools into existing knowledge and generate applications that have a broader reach very positive.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

I suppose everybody in this thread are talking about browser based mobile not native applications. Big difference.

Comment

I'm strictly talking about browser based tools - BIG - can be as BIG as you want it to be. It's your call.. - but right now BIG is big enough.
        Pete.
        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
        Albert Einstein, (attributed)
        US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
          I'm strictly talking about browser based tools - BIG - can be as BIG as you want it to be. It's your call.. - but right now BIG is big enough.
          Pete.
          The big difference comes that you can build browser based mobile with any tool that produces html5.

So Alpha version 11 is 100% suitable for mobile. All you need is suitable framework to use with Alpha for example KendoUI Mobile. If you need to have grid then KendoUI Complete. The bonus is you will get manual and you can bring your skills again to the next Alpha version.

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
            I suppose everybody in this thread are talking about browser based mobile not native applications. Big difference.
            There may be some differences now, but those are disappearing. Javascript, HTML5, Alpha are blurring the lines, quite successfully. And I don't really draw a line between them anyway. My Alpha mobile app looks and acts native. If it didn't, I wouldn't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
              My Alpha mobile app looks and acts native.
              So I suppose your mobile applications made with Alpha do not need internet connection to work.

Comment

re pure html5 and hybrid (wrapped html5 applications to turn them into native applications,) this blog post (with videos about wrapping alpha anywhere (v12) using PhoneGap) is worth taking a look at http://alphasoftware.net/alpha-anywh...-of-the-world/
                Richard Rabins
                Co Chairman
                Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
                  So I suppose your mobile applications made with Alpha do not need internet connection to work.
                  If you don't want to use an internet connection then, for now, find something else to work with. Find the tools that let you do what you need to get done.

Comment

Working without phone coverage is something we are actively working on.
                    In the meantime Robin Bennett from http://www.start-software.com/ has found some tools that when used in conjunction with Alpha allow you to build applications when there is no signal

Robin's email is [email protected]
                    Richard Rabins
                    Co Chairman
                    Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
                      Working without phone coverage is something we are actively working on.
                      In the meantime Robin Bennett from http://www.start-software.com/ has found some tools that when used in conjunction with Alpha allow you to build applications when there is no signal

Robin's email is [email protected]
                      That's so funny... I was playing with Pocket PC when it first came out to use an Access database on my first smartphone... a decade ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
                        If you don't want to use an internet connection then, for now, find something else to work with. Find the tools that let you do what you need to get done.
                        You can read from my post (#19) what tools I use.

I was more interested your native Alpha Mobile Applications you described in your post (#20). How you do it work like native.

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                          The emphasis on the word 'mobile' is the issue here, if people are prepared to open their minds to new and better opportunities as they are presented and then present those opportunities to clients, then the phone will start ringing again for those needing new work from existing customers and generate new.

I find the ability to be able to merge the new tools into existing knowledge and generate applications that have a broader reach very positive.
                          Pete, since I am to assume you read the initial post correctly, I myself must have failed to explain the original post clearly. That happened before. So let me have another shot at it.

The question was NOT whether or not "people are prepared to open their minds" (as if many of us would be dumb baboons not prepared to, or even capable of doing that).
                          The question was, whether "mobile design" is anywhere near efficient, to ever become a full business application.

My stance is, that this not the case. Not only because of the LIMITATIONS of mobile devices themselves like raw processor power and screen width (lack thereof - those will doubtlessly improve over time) but also by THE WAY you use them (be my guest and CAD/CAM on your phone if you like, most professionals won't, and in Holland we are pretty well known worldwide for our design capabilities if you did not know that yet) and the circumstances most of the mobile users are in WHEN they use them. My position is, that certain jobs are best done with certain tools. And of course, it may look great for a developer to have a new feature to show to his client. But the client is not going to instantly draw his wallet when you show him your new gadget, he is going to want to know what it exactly brings him in terms of benefits to his business. It's not the tool that conquers the client, as you seem to think, but the result you created with that tool. Hence, we need to properly select the best tool for any given job regardless of it being "old" or "just out there" or "hyping".
                          And at this point in time, I don't see the mobile device turning out to be a carrier for a business wide application, more do I see the mobile device being a good companion to that business line application, serving it with small, well designed companion-applications for functionality that require/calls for mobile connectivity.

Oh, and Pete: phones do ring sometimes, but it occurs that nothing happens afterwards anyway. I wonder why. "Work" is often not the problem. The reasonable pay often is, since more and more people are trying to hunt freebees instead of being willing to pay proper money for a proper job. And some are quite cunning at that.

Comment

As to Marcel's original question:

Originally posted by mronck View Post
                            What good would it do to be able to swipe through 20 grids instead of picking exactly the one you need?
                            The question being: is the native design with mobile devices efficient enough for daily use, or is it just a hype thing that is time consuming and in-efficient in nature?
                            T this point in time, there is much more 'hype' for the use of the smartphone. Smartphones have a place in the market and I think we will see it settling down to what can be done efficiently on the smartphone. I have a Galaxy Note but even that size screen is not suited for anything but reading email and that has to be swiped and moved back and forth. I will not use it for anything interned (other than email) There are a lot of apps designed to run on the smartphone but they are NOT designed for the smartphone. Only the tasks which are 'short and sweet' will survive on the smartphone. For companies with employees in the field, that's another animal but there to, a tablet with an air-card is a much better option.
                            TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I think this says it all stealing from Ken's Signature " Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore"

Saying all of this if "hype" (I really am sick of that word) is going against what that statement says. It is all about the customer. What the customer want and delivering an efficient way of doing it. I have people who use their smartphones daily for key things to there job. It does'nt really matter what I think, it is key to them, therefore essential and important to THEM. And that is what it is all about. By thinking this is "Hype" (last time I use that word) you are going in with a negative attitude. By not offering these possibilities to your customers you are doing yourself and your customers a disservice. I remember when the Browser based stuff came out the negative and downright close mindedness of most "Desktop for life" guys amazed me. Now many of them are web(browser) guys only and would not even think about doing a desktop application. Same thing is happening for Mobile (touch enabled) (touch screens for certain desktop applications are great).

So in My opinion (for what it is worth) open your mind to some NEW possibilities and NEW revenue streams. Maybe, just maybe it might work for you.
                              Bill Griffin
                              Parkell, Inc

Comment

Hello Bill,

Yes, you most certainly have an arguable point. Every time 'anything' new comes along, there is a certain amount of hype. That's just the way it is. You also made the point that there is at least some hype with the mobile and used browser based stuff an example which is precisely my point, which is, there will also be a certain amount of hype. The hype with the smartphones is that everyone or every business needs to have a smartphone app or your missing out. IMHO, by the time the phones, development time and fees are totaled up, it will be a no go. A cell phone app is an expensive investment and it's value is determined by the need, 'must have' vs 'like to have'.

I also agree, but only to a point, with your theory about giving a customer what he wants. If you know it won't work, ethically, the customer should be told it won't work or that is doing a much bigger disservice to the customer first and to you second. After all, is that not a reason why you are hired in the first place, to be honest and up front with the customer? Now, if your customer wants to try a new approach, I see nothing wrong with that as long as he knows he is spending money on something which might not work all that well.
                                TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Working...
                                X