Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Mobile speed on Android Jelly Bean 4.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile speed on Android Jelly Bean 4.3

I have a new Nexus 7 running on my home wifi and testing my semi deployed mobile app being hosted by Zebrahost

This thing CRAWLS on Jelly Bean. I fire up my iPhone 5 or iPad 3 and it is very fast. This is using the same wifi network (a pretty fast home connection - see attached)
    Screen Shot 2013-08-01 at 1.53.30 PM.png

I would venture to say that the app is almost NOT usable at the speeds I am experiencing. I click a button and wait 3-5 seconds for anything to happen.

The Nexus 7 is fine on other mobile websites...so I don't think its the tablet.

Has anyone else tried a Jelly Bean 4.3 device and if so...how was your performance?

Thanks
    Greg

Re: Mobile speed on Android Jelly Bean 4.3

I'm running 4.2.2 on a Nexus 7 and not seeing horrible performance, a little slower than my apple devices, but not bad. I'm updating to 4.3 now.
    Bill Griffin
    Parkell, Inc

Comment

I just updated to 4.3 and managed to slow things down a bit. I tried 3 different browser and the maxathon seems to work the best, but nothing like apple...
      Bill Griffin
      Parkell, Inc

Comment

Bill

Thanks for letting me know your findings. I agree 4.3 slows it down. When I opened my Nexus 7 it was 4.2. I tested my mobile site and while slower than iOS, it was tolerable. When I updated to 4.3 it was a very noticeable difference in speed. Hopefully Alpha can tweak things a bit on an update. The speed is almost unusable for me now on my Nexus.

What is interesting is the fastest response is on my iPhone 5 running on ATT LTE. It seems to pop faster than my iPad 3 running on my wifi.

Comment

Just a few more observations on this. The worst browser for AlphaAnywhere mobile on my Google Nexus 7 is Google Chrome. It is unusable with regards to speed.

Maxathon seemed fast but my main menu slides in and immediately slides back out. Almost makes a video game out of the web app trying to hit the menu choice before it disappears. Same thing happens with Dolphin Browser.

Firefox is faster, but has rendering issues and sometimes "hangs" a bit but the delay is not as bad as Google Chrome.

Hands down fastest and most reliable for me is UC Browser. Buttons work as expected and speed is excellent.....so for what it is worth....that seems to be the best choice for my setup. Curious to see if others have difference experiences on Jelly Bean 4.3.

Comment

Greg,

Ill give UC a shot tomorrow and let you know what I think
            Bill Griffin
            Parkell, Inc

Comment

Just an FYI - the UC Browser renders on a remote server and downloads the results to the client (like Opera Mini).

Comment

Thanks Jacob

Interesting that it performs so well compared to the others. I anticipate some headaches with end users on Android if they have similar experiences like mine. I was hoping for better results from the main browsers....it will be a bit tougher sell to have them run UC since it is not as well known.

Comment

Originally posted by gregincolumbus View Post
                  Just a few more observations on this. The worst browser for AlphaAnywhere mobile on my Google Nexus 7 is Google Chrome. It is unusable with regards to speed.

Maxathon seemed fast but my main menu slides in and immediately slides back out. Almost makes a video game out of the web app trying to hit the menu choice before it disappears. Same thing happens with Dolphin Browser.

Firefox is faster, but has rendering issues and sometimes "hangs" a bit but the delay is not as bad as Google Chrome.

Hands down fastest and most reliable for me is UC Browser. Buttons work as expected and speed is excellent.....so for what it is worth....that seems to be the best choice for my setup. Curious to see if others have difference experiences on Jelly Bean 4.3.
                  UC Browser is better, but still funky. I am finding (in general, not just alpha) slow response to touch. In alpha it is almost unusable. I would think having a dedicated android theme (CSS) would help.

Fortunately, Apple is our mobile device of choice. I was looking for less expensive alternatives, but for now it is apple all the way.
                  Bill Griffin
                  Parkell, Inc

Comment

Bill,

Thanks for the followup information. I appreciate you taking you the time to test the UC browser with your app. I agree iOS is the best experience compared to Android. You may be on to something regarding the CSS theme and hopefully Alpha will come up with a solution. Maybe the AppLauncher? It does allow some if then logic. A dedicated Android CSS may be a good addition.

Comment

The problem with Android is also in essence, it's strength. It's free and anyone building a mobile device can get it and "enhance it".

Listen to what John Carmack said at QuakeCon yesterday about the "tidal wave of Android devices."
                      See : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1sjRD7NSec and skip forward to around the 6:00 minute mark.

So we are presented with a situation where every vendor can do whatever they want and every browser implementation is different. I know one would think that Google would do a really good job of making sure that Chrome and the native implementation of the browser on the Nexus devices would be really good but that simply isn't the case.

The best Android device I've worked with to date is the Samsung Galaxy Note 8. It's not bad but it's also interesting to note that the Chrome browser performance on this device is much worse than Firefox. I haven't tried the UC browser but I will (even though it's a scary thought to think that it's origins are in China and that it is really using remote servers to process your browser payload ... that doesn't sound too secure to me!).

See this info on the UC Browser: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UC_Browser

When we look at iOS devices, the fact of the matter is that Apple controls everything related to it's hardware and software and has done an excellent job of making sure that the development tools/frameworks and the mobile safari browser leverage the underlying hardware .. and that makes all the difference in the world when it comes to performance.

I do think that the Android situation will get better over time (things are changing at a very rapid pace), especially with devices from Samsung and Google/Nexus/Motorola.
                      Bob Moore

Comment

I actually removed the UC browser right after I tried it. Had that same "insecure" feeling about it...You would think that chrome on a nexus 7 would be great, but not the case...

Bob would tweaking the css in the ios theme have any effect on the performance?
                        Bill Griffin
                        Parkell, Inc

Comment

Bob,

Thank you for your input. We all value your tremendous knowledge of the subject matter and I appreciate you jumping in to with some detailed background on the Android world. I knew the UC browser had some potentially troubling issues with regards to security. My web app at the moment does not have a need for robust security although I see that evolving in the future. It is mostly used for searching lists and providing download links for PDFs, etc.

Do you have any recommendations for a browser of choice? (knowing that none of them work anywhere close to the level of an iOS device).

Comment

Hi Bob,

Do you know if this variability with Android goes away if you make a website into a PhoneGap hybrid app?

Thanks,

Phil

Comment

Would tweaking the css in the iOS theme have any effect on the performance?

Possibly. You may see some improvement but I'm not sure exactly how much. It will also be dependent on the browser used. There are a lot of tricks to make the graphics and fixed position scrolling fast on a mobile device. In general we try to use accelerated graphics as much as possible. If the browser/device support for using 2D and 3D CSS transforms is not well implemented that's going to cause problems. Make sure you do not use drop shadows within any mobile app. That will bring even an iOS device to it's knees with CSS 3D transforms. Most of the Android devices/browsers I've tested have some issues CSS3 3D transforms. The Nexus 7 is horrible. The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is pretty good.

Memory is another concern with mobile HTML5 apps. We have little control over browser memory management/garbage collection. It's up to the browser to do this and they are all different. This is an area that needs improvement across all mobile browsers. Loading up a bunch of high res images is going to slow things down or cause the app to simply stop working. I'm not aware of ANY mobile browser that supports memory management or generates memory management events (like a low memory event). So be careful with loading up the DOM! The Image Gallery Component uses every trick in the book to trip browser garbage collection and remove previously loaded image objects so you should be able to use it to display an infinite amount of images on a mobile device.

Do you have any recommendations for a browser of choice? (knowing that none of them work anywhere close to the level of an iOS device).

Not really. They all seem to behave differently on the numerous Android devices. As mentioned above, there are a lot of reasons for this.

Do you know if this variability with Android goes away if you make a website into a PhoneGap hybrid app?

A hybrid PhoneGap app is going to use the devices default (or vendor supplied) browser within it's WebView (which is where the HTML5 content runs). The developer has no control over this. So yes .. this situation persists as well in an Android PhoneGap application. Of course, when you are using PhoneGap, you can write whatever you want in native code and pass info back and forth from the WebView to the Native side which can help, but to pull this off you need to write native code (Java or ObjectiveC).
                              Bob Moore

Comment

Working...
                              X