Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Mixing MySQL and MSSQL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixing MySQL and MSSQL

Ok, this is more of a general solicitation of opinions and in the world of SQL, programmers generally support and like what they use. I'm not as interested in responses around which is better.

I am looking for feedback (read, talk me out of it) on mixing MS SQL and MY SQL in a single application.

Background: we're cheap, we have an ERP/accounting system that runs MS SQL server express as its back end, the accounting system costs alot of money and has and will always use MS as its back end. The accounting data and web app data are pretty integrated. All that background to say, 2 gigs of accounting data and a business operating around it, so moving everything to MYSQL just isn't possible.

My situation: At the current pace, I am fine on the accounting functionality part of our system and won't bump into the express 10 gig limit. The problem? We're now adding more and more functionality into the web app. Functionality that is driving content. That rate of data growth is picking up speed. Alpha Anywhere will push it hard... I'll have some 10 field based service techs using tablets and iPhones for service reports and all kinds of field support of our equipment.

I started getting the feeling I was making code decisions based on my worry about the backend DB size.

So, that brings me to a decision. Regardless, by next year or at the latest the year after, I'll smack into the 10 gig limit on express.

My crazy notion has been: what about mixing MySql with my current DB? Where certain data is never shared with the accounting system (tables that aren't used in any way by the accounting system), put those tables in MySql?

Am I just asking for problems and have lost my senses or is this reasonable?

Is there Merit to this thinking or is it better to start mentally preparing that in the next year or so my wallet is going to get molested by Microsoft for 7k in server costs and sail past the 10 gigs?
    Last edited by WayneH; 08-29-2013, 03:11 AM.

Re: Mixing MySQL and MSSQL

wayne, it is absolutely no problem to mixed.
    i once have my own data in ms sql full version
    my security in express, while the accounting data are in two separate pervasive sql
    (two different companies's accounting data) and lastly the inventory file for look up
    built on my sql.

you will notice a slight change of select statements.
    and the pervasive was connected via ODBC etc.

while MS-SQl and My-SQL get connected directly.
    I did notice delay from time to time, imagine three grids
    show up on one page with data from different sources.
    Those ODBC's seem much slower.

Comment

Where are you hosting your A5 site? Most ISPs have a license for the Web edition of MS SQL, and you can share the cost of that license for a small price -- usually around $25/month. A nice benefit of this is that the Web edition doesn't limit the use of RAM like SQL Express, so you may get a nice performance improvement as well.
      -Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Workings View Post
        Where are you hosting your A5 site? Most ISPs have a license for the Web edition of MS SQL, and you can share the cost of that license for a small price -- usually around $25/month. A nice benefit of this is that the Web edition doesn't limit the use of RAM like SQL Express, so you may get a nice performance improvement as well.
        We host the application internally on our intranet and require mobile users to establish a VPN connection for security. We also assumed we need to host it internally due to the accounting system using the same back end.
        Never really thought about hosting it outside to solve my issue .... That may really have some merit. As long as I can gain the comfort on the security end (general ledger on the Internet) and do a test that the accounting system runs fast enough, it may work well. I know my office has a fiber optic connection... I assume zebra is sitting on a good backbone.

Comment

Zebrahost co-locates with Softlayer, which was just purchased by IBM. Big, fast, secure, redundant, terrific customer service.
          -Steve
          sigpic

Comment

I too cannot say enough good about ZebraHost. Truly outstanding in every respect: quality, availability, and GREAT support!!
            Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

My answer refer to our own internal server
              now i realize the limitation when you app hosted by an outsider

having said that, migrate to one sql is the way to go
              considering the routine of backup and trouble shooting.

Comment

Just to close the loop for any who might search and review this thread later (knowledge sharing is the goal here in the forum :) )
                Clive at ZebraHost was extremely responsive. I dropped Steve's name as the referral, but with how quick he emailed back and the level of detail he provided, you could tell this is his mode of business.

They can host a VPS for approx $130 per month at high bandwidth.
                SQL web is $25 per month. Mere mortals can't buy that version, its for hosters to resell to guys like me. Financially, seems like a very logical choice. If I amortize the $130 over the useful life of on of my web machines, it is a break even deal, not counting the fact I don't have to store it, maintain it and it comes with support and backup.

I'll end up running a test and seeing if the speeds are acceptable going this cloud or hosting direction. I have no doubt my alpha app will be fine, its whether or not our accounting system runs fast enough with the sql server being over VPN.

Thanks for the ideas and direction.

Comment

We worked with Zebrahost and Softlayer to model and demonstrate a web app (happens to be A5 - could be anything of course) through a VPN. We didn't get real deep into it as this part of the project is a bit speculative but our evaluations were that it worked really well -- as good as a typical https connection. I'm hoping this part of our project comes to fruition because I view this as a very good arrangement.
                  -Steve
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X