Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Pubnub Api

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pubnub Api

Hi Guys.
    I have come across as api www.pubnub.com which allows push notifications among other things via javascript.

Does anyone have any experience with it or is anyone able to provide some insight on how we would implement such an api within alpha.

Thanks
    Roland

Re: Pubnub Api

Very interesting! It seems javascript is the way most users go & that is indeed simple with Alpha; their example is just loading a js lib & some minor code.

Code:
    <script src=http://cdn.pubnub.com/pubnub-3.5.4.min.js ></script>
    <script>(function(){

// Init
        var pubnub = PUBNUB.init({
            publish_key   : 'demo',
            subscribe_key : 'demo'
        })

// LISTEN
        pubnub.subscribe({
            channel : "hello_world",
            connect : publish
        })

// SEND
        function publish() {
            pubnub.publish({
                channel : "hello_world",
            })
        }

})();</script>
    Still wonder what has to be done on the client side; install some app or what; have to dig in this deeper but sure is exciting!
    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

I think it does open up a lot of functionality into alpha that would be very handy. I really Have no clue when it comes to js but I think I need to know more about how to use this API.

Comment

Alpha & Javascript are very well integrated so this is pretty straight forward, the only thing as I mentioned is what you have to do / install on the mobile client in order to get these push notifications
        Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Frank as far as I can see there is nothing else needed to be installed.
          Again ive just spent he last 6 hours playing with the supplied code and js scripts but to no avail.

Im sure this is simple stuff but im missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by Dspguards View Post
            Frank as far as I can see there is nothing else needed to be installed.
            Again ive just spent he last 6 hours playing with the supplied code and js scripts but to no avail.

Im sure this is simple stuff but im missing something.
            Hi Roland and Frank,

i'm a developer with pubnub and i can definitely help you out. Frank is correct that you simply need to import our library and then you can use our api to init and begin sending/receiving messages, as well as the other features we provide such as storage and playback.

the javascript api is our most widely used api, and we have over 50 others including java, python, perl, ruby, etc. the idea is for it to be as frictionless and easy as possible to begin using our real-time network, so let's get you going.

if you'd like to take this offline, you can contact me directly by phone/email and then we can nail this down and report back on this thread with progress. otherwise, please share the client-side code and describe the clients you are testing on and i'll take a look. i'm also curious to hear about the server side components you plan to use and your software stack.

thanks,
            randy kang
            650-260-5264
            [email protected]

Comment

Hi Randy,
              Thanks for your post and welcome to the Alpha Message board. I think you will in time find a lot of interest in Pubnub here. I know I was excited to find it.
              I have sent you an email explaining what im trying to do. but please be aware im very new to javascript in alpha let alone using third party javascript in it.

Roland

Comment

Hi Randy,
                I am totally new to the idea of adding any library to alpha5 could you (or someone else) maybe walk me/us through the process of setting up alpha to use your api and some functionality example? I don't even know what I am asking for specifically - maybe just a short tutorial or something would be fine, however if you reply that this is above my head and it would require me to know more in the first place I am ok with that and take no offense. If you can though - great.
                NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Seems that the site is down .... http://www.pubnub.com/ .... getting "Error 503 backend read error"

-Mike
                  Mike Brown - Contact Me
                  Programmatic Technologies, LLC
                  Programmatic-Technologies.com
                  Independent Developer & Consultant

My Alpha Components​​​

Comment

Just tried it... all ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
                      Just tried it... all ok.
                      Thanks!

-Mike
                      Mike Brown - Contact Me
                      Programmatic Technologies, LLC
                      Programmatic-Technologies.com
                      Independent Developer & Consultant

My Alpha Components​​​

Comment

hi Roland,

thanks for the offline email that you have it sorted out and are good to go.

hi Charles,

here's a simple tutorial to publish and subscribe messages on a sample channel using the demo account on PubNub:
                        https://github.com/pubnub/javascript#simple-example

You can run this simple javascript to send and receive messages, and you can test to see if the messages are flowing by going to the PubNub Dev Console here:
                        http://www.pubnub.com/console

In the dev console, you can use channel="hello_world", publish_key="demo", and subscribe_key="demo". then you can see publish and receive messages in both the dev console and in your javascript code to witness real-time communication across the internet.

we also have other demos and tutorials for various other languages here:
                        http://www.pubnub.com/developers#tutorials

and video tutorials here:
                        https://vimeo.com/pubnub/videos

thanks,
                        randy

Comment

The Javascript and RESTful APIs are unbelievably easy to use. I was able to create a simple real-time chat application in about an hour using Alpha Anywhere and Pubnub's free Sandbox-Tier.

Comment

Working...
                          X