Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Phonegap request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Phonegap request

David K. would probably know more about your options, but I think you can use the Cordova API directly or a 3rd party plugin and save this information to local storage or the SQLite database. You would probably want to unbind your UX component because you would not be able to use the UX component's data binding or IO functions to write data to the mobile device.

Comment

Hi Dave,

I would build the uX with an initialize routine that would download updated data from the server, store it locally, initialize some arrays and start the timer process which triggers the alerts and questions. I'm just not sure it's worth my time to be on a bleeding edge on this one. I'm also looking at the MIT App Inventor which is an interesting way to program. I have a basic diary working on that system and will now see if I can get it to connect to the Alpha server.

Comment

Hi David,

Well I finally got my app built in PhoneGap and installed it on my iPhone. I barely understand what I am doing. All I did was create a config.xml file and an index.html with “window.location=” to redirect to my index page. My app feels just like a web app launched from the home screen except for the fact that I have a little more screen space at the top and bottom which is nice. I am not using the Cordova API at this point.

Do you know if there is any advantage to using an Xcode project on a Mac as opposed to just maintaining a few text files on a Windows machine? I have a Cordova project created on my Mac, but I’m not sure exactly what I would use it for at this point.

Have you learned what Alpha Anywhere CSS or Javascript assets can be stored in the PhoneGap project in order to speed up the initialization time? Does the PhoneGap native app load every Javascript and CSS file from the web site every time it is launched or does it cache them somehow like a web browser does?

Thanks

Comment

Congrats Dave... nice when it finally downloads, installs, opens, and works... isn't it?

Well... it's adding yet another layer to the mix... Xcode... plus using a Mac. I know lots of people who develop in Alpha on a Mac under Parallels, but I don't do that.
          I don't know enough about XCode. I know you can build full apps (if you have the chops), but can you build the shells and submit to PhoneGap Build? If so... what's the difference? (which is what you're asking).

Web App vs PhoneGap installed app: It depends on what your use is...

Within your company... people know how, or can learn to,install Home Screen apps... iOS only... use a Home Screen Web app.
          Selling a service... either.
          Selling an app for iOS or Android (or anyone else)? PhoneGap Build. Chrome doesn't currently support Home Screen Apps (it's in the current Beta)

I don't know if CSS stored within the compiled app is available to your Alpha pages... good question. However, unless you're a CSS monster (not me) there's very little custom CSS code and even if there is a bit it's so small you'd never feel the transfer. I'll bet Javascript is about the same.

Comment

Thanks David. You don't need to convince me as to why a native app is a good thing. ;) We sometimes don't make the cut when a prospective customer learns they cannot download our app from the AppStore. I was confused and still am confused after watching Bob Moore's 52 minute video as to why you would set up an Xcode project. I don't understand the distinction between using an Xcode project vs. maintaining a couple of text files and submitting them to PhoneGap. Perhaps Xcode is a requirement for debugging a PhoneGap app if your app starts to become unwieldy due to the amount of Cordova functions it uses.

I tried to create a very simple test app using Cordova's navigator.notification.alert(). I ran a remote test and was going to use Garden Web with the Cordova/PhoneGap option set. I got an error message before I could even scan in the QR code. I was really excited about the possibility of testing the Cordova API this way. Not sure why it did not work. I know Garden Web uses version 2.5 and my version of Alpha was configured with 2.9, so maybe that has something to do with it. Or, maybe you cannot run remote tests with Garden Web and Cordova. I have not tested it using PhoneGap build yet. It sure would save a lot of time if you could test like this without having to generate a native app. I still do not see AlphaWeb in the AppStore. It's been about 4-5 months since Bob Moore did that Cordova/PhoneGap presentation.

Comment

My two bits on the subject:
              • Using an entirely pre-built application (like PhoneGap web-build) is convenient... but it hides knowledge
              • Forcing yourself to download PhoneGap locally and adjust it in tiny bits makes you familiar to some small degree with what "native coders" face
              • A native coder in iOS would use XCODE to write in "Objective C" code.
              • PhoneGap gives you a shell... written in Objective-C. You use XCODE to open it, make a couple of modifications, apply the security keys from Apple that will eventually let you post it to the AppStore, and finally get it all into a single file for deployment on your device.
              • You don't use XCODE to compile for Android. Instead you use the "Eclipse" coding environment (or something similar) that provides a nice coding and compilation environment for Java. This results in a single file that would be sent to the device (directly or via one of the stores) for execution.

Then you can do several things:
              • deploy to your device via a cable (real app, on your device)
              • deploy to a "test" environment on Google Play or Apple Appstore
              • Eventually, release/deploy for public download and use

And finally...
              • Consumers/users can in fact download your app. When you get to the point where everything is tested and you have a webserver/database combo set up, and you are ready to sell your app... you then have it on Play or Appstore.

Comment

question ... in apple apps store, i downloaded the phonegap-browser
                where we can test our webpages... this seems to give me a great idea how my .a5w behave.

my question :

is this truly as good as what you are doing in term of accessing all the phonegap API ?

for example, i hard coded a java action in a button to perform

cordova-Send SMS message
                hard coded the message and phone number

i ran this on my working iphone4s , hmm did not see any sms message being sent

is this java action only worked when it is truly developed like what you did
                i have the cordova library activated as suggested.

appreciate a comment, thanks
                ken

Comment

Hi Ken - Did you download CordovaBrowser? According to Bob Moore, you can use any of these native shells to test your Alpha Anywhere components and access the Cordova API. The purpose is so you can test the native functionalities you would expect in your PhoneGap app.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveF View Post
                    Hi Ken - Did you download CordovaBrowser? According to Bob Moore, you can use any of these native shells to test your Alpha Anywhere components and access the Cordova API. The purpose is so you can test the native functionalities you would expect in your PhoneGap app.
                    Yes I did and love it for quick test
                    However , would love to see if anyone get the SMS send function working
                    Quite simple , I have done my , not sure what I missed
                    The phone number format ???

Please someone help

Comment

David - Have you installed your PhoneGap Build app on a device running on iOS 7.x? The device I initially installed my build on is running iOS 6. The installer fails when I try to install on other devices. All of these devices are running iOS 7. I added these additional device ID's to my provisioning profile. I downloaded the provisioning profile and created a new PhoneGap Build key. I can still install the build using my new key on my iPhone running iOS 6, but not on any other devices.

Thanks

Comment

Dave... yes... installing on iOS 7. And was installing on iOS 6.x before the 7 update. My provisioning file and certificate hasn't changed since 6.x.

So PGB completes with your new iOS key? You're able to install on devices before your provisioning file change? But not on devices you added... and these devices are iOS7?

Just trying to determine if it iOS7 or provisioning file or the process of PGB and the key.

Comment

What does the installer say?

Comment

David - Yes, PGB completes with my new key. I've added two additional keys since I originally got it working with the first key. I found a post from someone who said they had the same issue after adding additional ID's to their provisioning profile. They were not able to get the PGB build to install on the additional devices until they uploaded the new provisioning profile and certificate to PGB.

I was able to install on my own iPhone before I changed my provisioning profile and it still installs on my iPhone after making changes to my provisioning profile? It just will not install on any of the new devices that I added to my provisioning profile. They all happen to be running iOS 7. That's why I was asking.

Thanks

Comment

David - The installer on my iPad acts as if it is installing the app, but never it never completes.

Comment

You know... I think I might have run into this as well. I think I remember now... it's been many months. I had a the PGB key set... with just 2 UUIDs set in the provisioning file. I had created the certificate and provisioning file on my son's iMac and uploaded to PGB and all was good. I then added a couple of other UUIDs to my existing provisioning file... but I did this online... on my PC. I downloaded the files to my PC and uploaded them to PGB. But I think it was my build that wouldn't work. I don't remember getting past that. I figured out it was my download/upload on my PC because I didn't use OpenSSL (still haven't tried that). I got back on my boy's iMac, online to Apple... downloaded my files, then uploaded them to PGB as a new set of keys. Now I have two keys in PGB. But... the 2nd set worked and all was good so I immediately put it completely out of my mind... 'cause it's all horrible.

So, try uploading to a new PGB Key name and see it that works.

Comment

Working...
                                X