Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Version 1749_4210

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Version 1749_4210

I installed build 1749_4210 on my staging server and everything looks good with the exception of a horizontal RadioButton control which I have set to "Render as Button List". The check mark was changed in build 1749 to appear before the text rather than after. There were some other minor changes made to the generated HTML for the RadioButton control. These changes increased the overall length of the radio button and caused the last button to overflow to the next line.

Comment

Just tried the full release version 1749_4210 with an April 2014 date and got the same message Peter saw...Important patches are required. Visit alpha downloads etc. and then it shuts down so it does look like Alpha is embedding a time expiration in their versions now to keep you from continuous use of the software without updating regularly (which you need a subscription for).
      Brad Weaver, President
      ComputerAid International
      Ottawa ON Canada
      Versailles KY USA
      www.compuaid.com

Comment

I think that would be the last straw for me.....I have been waiting to see if there was any reason to resubscribe and this would be contrary to what I was told on the phone....

Comment

I just tried the new version and all grids and most UX's are fine, but my mission critical UX fails.
          When I open the UX on a record with the primary key set to a session variable, no fields load. When I try navigating it complains that primary keys are not loaded but the same UX works fine in old version. I tried making the UX dirty and re-publishing, all to no avail. Both developer and AppServer are same version. It fails in IE and Firefox.
          I have moved back to previous release and all is ok.

Comment

If anyone is having a problem with the new build, try the bulk update options from the Web Control Panel Menu to recompile the grids (if a grid problem) or recalculate the UX (if a UX problem). But sure tio be running the new build in both the development program and the application server

Edit -> Bulk Operation -> Update Compiled Files for AJAX grids -> Create New compiled Files for All grids
            Edit -> Bulk Operation -> Recalculate UX components

There were a couple changes in UX to fix bugs that require the controls to be recalculated. Then republish.

If your system is working without errors (most likely), you don't have to fix or republish anything.

If a problem still persists after that, please sent a bug report immediately so we can address the problem. Do not post the problem on the message board instead of sending a bug report as the messages rarely have enough information to troubleshoot a problem.

As indicated in the release notes, This update is a required update. It must be installed before November 1.

Comment

I had to do the 'Recalculate UX Components' stuff and got rid of a script error that said: object doesn't support property or method 'setDisabled' after installing this update.

Jerry, my question is: Do we have to update the Alpha server on our application server by November 1st if we are NOT ready to deploy our development version?
              Carol King
              Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
              http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

Often times people want to stay with a certain patch because it works for them. Now we'll be forced to "upgrade" regardless?
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I just got word from Jerry (in response to email I just sent them) that YES, the application server will not run after Nov 1 unless the update is done. This seems like VERY short notice and I wonder how many developers will be aware of this. Is Alpha sending an email out to everyone? I am pretty troubled by this because I am in the middle of developing a whole bunch of grids and UX components that have to do with check printing and they will not be ready by Nov 1. But my development stuff has links to open those components in lots of places in my app. I am going to have to go through my whole project and disable a bunch of stuff just so I can deploy it. Sorry, Alpha, but I feel very irritated by this.
                  Carol King

Comment

Does this mean that every Alpha developer who has deployed a web app that has been working fine for awhile will be hit by the fact that their web apps quit working on November 1st? What if that developer has not needed to do any development for awhile and has not opened their Alpha development program so that they have not noticed the message about not having the latest update? What if I was on vacation for the next 2 weeks and could not do update and development until I returned? Would my users just be out of luck?
                    Carol King

Comment

I agree Carol. Now if this is a one time scenario in order to bring the whole system up to .Net Framework 4.5 then it is inconvenient at best but somewhat forgivable. However, if this is going to be standard practice going forward it would be a deal breaker for me. I do not want to be forced to install updates at all client sites simply to comply with Alpha's update policies. I have many clients who, once I have completed their software and it is working well, I never really have to support again on that particular project. Set it and forget it. If this policy comes into affect then it will mean that I have to support every project for every client every few months and be prepared to apply updates and even possibly recalculate and redeploy my source code on an on-going basis. That is not acceptable and not even feasible for our company. We want to create a project and then once it is finalized and working well we want to move on to new projects and not have to worry about keeping the older projects updated.

I'm hoping that this expiration and required update is a one and done for Alpha. If it is to be their standard practice then unfortunately I'll be forced to look elsewhere.

I still have projects written in .Net 1.1 that have been running untouched since 2001. I'd hate to think that I'd be forced to recompile and redeploy and install the new .Net version every time Microsoft decided to update the .Net framework! My largest four accounts are running under Visual Foxpro 6 ... yes 6 ... and working perfectly. What would have happened if Microsoft required updates and had timeouts and then decided to drop Visual Foxpro support altogether. Scary policy!

Anyway, I'm probably getting all riled up for nothing as I can't imagine that this particular case is anything but an anomaly and that we will not be facing a future of forced updates and upgrades.
                      Brad Weaver, President
                      Ottawa ON Canada
                      Versailles KY USA
                      www.compuaid.com

Comment

Just to note it looks like the new patch kills version 12 on January 16th, 2014 after playing with the computer calender. So, it would be nice to know why they are doing this.

Comment

Islip, if that's the case then it sounds like we'll be facing another forced update in just over two months! WOW! This is getting serious. I was planning a three week holiday this winter. Guess I may have to put plans on hold to make sure that I'm around to update my Alpha software for all my clients if the servers and/or runtimes are going to stop working.

Another scenario that would be a nightmare for any client who purchased a solution based on a product with a built-in expiration: What happens if the solution developer retires or goes out of business. Their working application would suddenly stop and unless they had source code and could find another Alpha developer they would lose their ability to work as of that date. If I were a client I wouldn't buy a solution based on any software that I could suddenly find myself unable to continue with based on an arbitrary timeout in the software.
                          Brad Weaver, President
                          Ottawa ON Canada
                          Versailles KY USA
                          www.compuaid.com

Comment

What is the email for sending a bug report?
                            Richard Urban

Grocery Delivery Software for Stores and Entrepreneurs: http://www.urbangrocery.com

Comment

Originally posted by compuaid View Post
                              Islip, if that's the case then it sounds like we'll be facing another forced update in just over two months! WOW! This is getting serious. I was planning a three week holiday this winter. Guess I may have to put plans on hold to make sure that I'm around to update my Alpha software for all my clients if the servers and/or runtimes are going to stop working.

Another scenario that would be a nightmare for any client who purchased a solution based on a product with a built-in expiration: What happens if the solution developer retires or goes out of business. Their working application would suddenly stop and unless they had source code and could find another Alpha developer they would lose their ability to work as of that date. If I were a client I wouldn't buy a solution based on any software that I could suddenly find myself unable to continue with based on an arbitrary timeout in the software.
                              I have it in writing that my v12 license is a perpetual license so it certainly better not stop working!

In the future there should be way more notice than a week for mandatory updates. That is just ridiculous. Alpha should be sending out personal email notices for something so important.
                              Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Originally posted by richardurban View Post
                                What is the email for sending a bug report?
                                [email protected]
                                Mike Brown - Contact Me
                                Programmatic Technologies, LLC
                                Programmatic-Technologies.com
                                Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

Working...
                                X