Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Linked Grids Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linked Grids Question

I have developed a very extensive database for my company (as a total noob). I am very happy with the results so far. However, I cannot figure out the randomness of the grid linking I face on a regular basis. Sometimes the "Has Linked Content" works without a hitch, and sometimes it will not work no matter what I do. This is on separate components, not intermittent on the same component. Once it works it is set and forget, but about half the time, I cannot get it to link. I seem to have the same trouble with a couple of my dynamic filters on the look-up function.

I know I am just doing something wrong, but I cannot figure it out. When it works it is awesome.

Is there a a set of don'ts when linking grids that I just don't get? Or is there a set of linking keys or something?

I am using SQL for the backend.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Linked Grids Question

Hey John, Im sure you will find lots of help here as I have done.
    I think the best thing to do in your situation is to post up some screen shots from the setting of the component that is not working and we can then go through it and see if anything stands out. Its normally something simple enough that you just don't see after staring at it for hours on end. "I know the feeling very well"

Roland

Comment

John

Do as Roland suggests and post an example.
      Grid linking works well, it has been around a long time.
      I link onsite and off site databases through grids seamlessly.
      You can link MySQL to MS SQL to excel the data source is not important.

When you link the grids are you failing to find records?
      Or is it that the whole process is confusing?

Michael

Comment

John, yes post of screen shot or explain more of what is not working and especially include what build of Alpha you are on. I spent all of last week trying to isolate why one grid with two linked content sections would display nothing for the linked content, but after making changes somewhere then it would display correctly. I tried to figure out if the problem was because of pre-release builds 1950, 1958, 1966, and 1970. I went back-and-forth several times between the builds, starting over with empty webroot project folders. Yet, I could not find the pattern. Although, if the problem is that you just cannot select the child linking field then the reason for that is because of the use of Arguments in the child grid's SQL. I temporarily remove the Argument(s) from the child grid, setup the link from the parent to child then put the argument(s) back into the child. Other than that, I'm wondering if the failure to work in the running app has something to do with what version the components were last saved in. I am wondering if publishing to an empty folder is just not the same as saving a fresh copy of the component and then publishing. I will send you more info in a private message.

Comment

John, the private message didn't go through. If what I said above doesn't address your issue then I guess you can just post back here or maybe send ME a private message.

Comment

To clarify what I said in post #4:

1) If Arguments are used in the "WHERE" portion of the sql in the child grid then you are mostly okay when Linking to the grid or when Opening the Grid from Javascript Action. If your child grid is based on the "single record form template" (or is configured similar to that template) AND you have a date field on your child grid's Detail View AND you have an argument set to "prompt if missing" then your linked grid might not render at all.

2) If you use an argument in the "SELECT" portion of the sql in the child grid, like one might do for setting a calculated field when implementing row - column level security, then you will have a problem setting up the linking field(s), as I mentioned in post # 4. An example calculated field in the grid's SQL that can cause a problem when setting up the linking fields is:
            SELECT db.field1, db.field2, if( db.ownerid <> :gUserId, '-private comment-', db.cmnt) as dbCmnt FROM myTable

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, here is the screenshots of the linking and the sql behind the grids.

First the definition screens
              Link1.png
              Link2.png

Then the Parent Table
              Link3.png

And the Child
              Link4.png

There are no WHERE or SELECT arguments in either grid.

The funny thing is, when I create a UX and have the UX create these identical tables, the linking works just fine, but when I do it, the linking does not work everytime. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Very frustrating.

Comment

Hi
                I think the space in the primary key for your parent table ( Estimate ID ) might be the problem.

Jaime

Comment

Seriously? It couldn't be that simple, but then again it probably is. The thing is though, I can get these tables to link through a UX in a UX->Embeded Grid fashion, or UX->Repeating Content fashion. So weird. I am going to try that and let you know if that is the problem. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

YES. That was the problem, and now going back through the whole thing I can see that every time I have this issue, random as it seems, it is because of spaces in the field names. Thanks Jamie, you saved the day, week and maybe my sanity.

Comment

LOL..no problem glad to help
                      Coming from VFP i use very strict naming convention for fields, really can save one's sanity :-)

Comment

Jaimee, that was good - spotting the spaces.
                        I don't know if it still true or not but another "gotcha" that I found is using a table name in MS-SQL that begins with the letters "sys". As I recall, Alpha 10.5 couldn't properly work with any table I had defined that began with those letters.

John, you can use "CamelCase" type in field names (like I just did) or underscores to separate words in field names. The Alpha grid designer (and I assume ux designer) is really great at converting camel case and/or underscores to field labels. It saves a lot of time from having to go in and adjust every field label.

Comment

+1 for CamelCase in field names. Alpha really does a great job at creating the labels ( for UX as well of course ) exactly as meant...

Comment

Review this guide: http://help.iadn.com/bestpractices/

Edit - others found the obvious problem.
                            Steve Wood
                            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thank for all the great advice and kind words. I had to teach myself SQL in two weeks to get this project going. This was after I convinced the boss that I could use AlphaAnywhere as intended, then found out I needed SQl to make it work as intended. I am still learning. Like I said, thanks for the great advice. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X