Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Problem with C Drive Partition filling from temp PDF file from App Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with C Drive Partition filling from temp PDF file from App Server

Hi There,

We have a problem with C Drive Partition filling from a temp PDF file. This is an intermittent issue but have identified this is being created by the Application server.

Apart from turning off/restarting the application server every night, does anyone have any idea why this is being created or how to stop it in the future.

We are running Always UP but this doesn't seem to clear the problem. We have version 12 developer and app server with the latest build, we also tried restoring to an earlier version but it still seemed to create the file.

Thanks for anyone who you can provide help with this.

Kind Regards
    Nathan
    Attached Files

Re: Problem with C Drive Partition filling from temp PDF file from App Server

If anyone does come accross this similiar issue i have resolved by doing the following:

Move the temp files to you data drive. You can do this by right clicking my computer, then properties, then advanced system settings. Under advanced tab, click environmental variables button at the bottom. You will see 2 variables: TEMP and TMP. Highlight them and click edit and choose a path on your data drive. Basically just make a folder called temp and with 2 sub directories TMP and TEMP and put them in there.

Hope this helps someone

Regards,Nathan

Comment

Aren't you then just moving the problem to the D: drive ? Why would the WAS create those tmp PDF files ? Must be something in your application I'd say ? Reports ? Report server ?
      Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Agree, I don't have any PDF's growing in the temp folder.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Frank - That was the point of posting on here as we cannot identify why it is creating these temp PDF files. I cannot replicate the issue at all from my end even when creating large reports from our server, it seems to create them in the early hours of the morning, I have made Always UP restart the WAS everyday now but it still creates them.

I moved the TEMP folder to the D drive because this large PDF would fill up my entire C drive partition and cause a 414 entity too large error and none of the web applications worked. Hence why i have moved this to the D to at least minimise disruption until I can identify a cause. It is too intermittent also and the PDF file is not being created everyday.

Yesterday I had 3 files of around 5GB each.

Comment

what actually is in those PDF documents? Have you opened one?
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

I'm interested in this too. My server seems to store a egregious amount of temp pdf files as well and I'm not sure why.

In the past I've sent them all a folder and then wrote a batch file to delete the contents of that folder which is scheduled by the task scheduler to run every so many minutes. Doesn't fix WHY this is happening in the first place though.

Comment

You could try & find out what process is creating these files with processexplorer or unlockit
                Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Those files are created by was and they are the actual pdf files from reports, I have to clear mine out manually all the time once my server was down for almost a day because the temp file folder got to big and wouldn't allow was to even run. I have about 10gb a week in those files. Restarting was does nothing to clear this out.
                  Chad Brown

Comment

Ok so I too am now having the issue as mentioned here.

I have a report that works great once I run it locally (i.e. Developer App server).
                    However once I publish it to my remote server, the report process icon just sits there and no report is generated.
                    However, When I check my c:\Windows\temp folder I see the temp PDF file just growing and growing to about 5GB. These temp PDF files have completely filled my C drive in the past and crashed my app so much that I had to reassign it to another drive and folder D:\windows_temp.

Did anyone make any headway in how to resolve this problem ? This problem is now a show stopper in my project and I really need it resolved asap.

Thanks in advance

Comment

We do a lot of reports so I manually clean them out every week. Added this to my weekly cleanup routine. Cleaned them out last Sunday, and today, Wednesday, there are already over 7000 of these temp files.

As far as I can tell, they are of no use after the pdf is printed. I usually shut down the WAS and clean them out because the temp aex files are also in this directory.
                      Pat Bremkamp
                      MindKicks Consulting

Comment

My problem is not even the creation or cleanup of these files.
                        My reports still show the wait icon after http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...&noquote=1many minutes while in the background I see these large temp files getting larger.

Comment

Hi Everyone

Did anybody work out why this was happening as we seem to have a vast amount of PDF and Txt files in our appdata\temp folder

thanks in advance

Comment

They have this in the pre release notes
                            Temp File Folder - Temporary Files - Code has been added to more aggressively clean up any temporary files that Alpha Anywhere created in the temp file folder. To turn on this feature for the development version go to the View/Settings/Preferences menu and set the value for the 'TEMP files' property.

To specify the setting in the Application Server (or the Development Server), go to the 'Advanced' tab in the server control panel.
                            No idea if that solves the problem though.

Comment

Working...
                            X