Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

New Release Alpha Anywhere 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Release Alpha Anywhere 2.0

Hi
    Just came across this. I assume this is a pre-release?

http://appdevelopermagazine.com/1294...d-Hybrid-Apps/

http://alphasoftware.com/alpha-anywhere-2.asp

Re: New Release Alpha Anywhere 2.0

My reading from the press is that this is a new build for production.

A customer downloaded a free trail 12 hours ago and that was the old build.

Michael

Comment

Doesn't matter how you call it, all the great stuff is there already for many pre-releases. I guess they added so many features since last official release this deserves a 2.0, which i completely agree with ( if you have a free half hour go read the pre-release notes, then tell me if you don't feel like a kid in a candy store )

Comment

Hi

Jamie I agree but Alpha always warn against using these releases in a production system and one of the great features I really need. So candy and being authourised to eat it is the best.

Michael

Comment

Alpha Anywhere 2.0 is an official release, not a prerelease. It was released just this morning, so a customer downloading a trial last night would have in fact gotten and older release.

Please be aware that this release requires that you have a valid Alpha Anywhere subscription. You can check on your subscription status by going to the Help, About screen in Alpha Anywhere, or by clicking here and entering your license number.

If your subscription is not current and you install this release, you will need to uninstall it before you will be able to work with Alpha Anywhere. If you check your subscription status using a method above and the information appears to be correct, please contact Alpha Customer Service at 781-229-4500 or [email protected]
          Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 04-10-2014, 10:50 AM.

Lenny Forziati
          Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
          Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

UX & lists is where things are happening for Alpha right now so there's a lot of changes, improvements & new features; I'm sure that if you submit a sample project that allows to replicate the issue it will be solved probably the next day.
            Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

And the question inquiring minds want to know ... given the huge amount of changes ... has anyone tried it out yet? Any issues?
              Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

There's many users working with the pre-releases and reporting issues on a daily basis while those pre-releases are being worked on; if Alpha decided to release this version you may very well be sure that it is a stable version and another milestone. That does not exclude any potential issues obviously but then again; issues only get resolved if properly reported and that is what many fail to do for one reason or another which I think is a shame.
                Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper87 View Post
                  UX & lists is where things are happening for Alpha right now so there's a lot of changes, improvements & new features; I'm sure that if you submit a sample project that allows to replicate the issue it will be solved probably the next day.
                  Looks like I was "moderated". First time for everything I guess. Anyway, yeah that's fine and I did send in a report. The problem is that these changes that can break stuff don't show up in any release notes anywhere. Not only that, but I was running the pre-release (the latest or second to latest) before I installed the official release. So, my problem with the "/n" instead of comma delimiters was changed in the last couple of days before the official release. That's assuming that the pre-release actually turns into the production build. If that's the case, they shouldn't be changing anything on the one that is to become official in the last two days before they release it. It should have been vetted for longer than 2 days is what I'm saying.

Back to the release notes. In V11, when I sent in a bug, 7 times out of 10 the fix for it was LISTED in the pre-release notes the next day. I haven't seen that in V12. It seems the release notes are being neglected.

This is all why I'm sure I'll be running a pre-release again in the next few days. I get forced into it by other issues and at least the pre-release get's fixed pretty much daily. Waiting for another major release to fix a problem just isn't an option when that problem is messing up your mojo. Furthermore, if my assumption about the pre-release getting turned into the production release in 2 days is correct; I might as well just keep running pre-releases. I can't see a point to sticking with the production release if that's the case.

BTW, I was able to work around the new "/n" delimiter and the report problems I had in the production release but it took me hours to do that this morning. Hours that I feel could have been used better on other things.

I'm sure most people won't have any issues at all. It's those of us that use a lot of custom code that this kind of stuff catches.
                  Last edited by -Jinx-; 04-10-2014, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Not every bug that is fixed is being listed in the release notes, sometimes it would take more time to describe the bugfix then to fix the bug in the end serving nobody. As far as workarounds for bugs goes I hate them; in the end they serve nobody especially not with a product like Alpha where you 99% of the time get a fix within a day or less. Workarounds for limitations or missing features in a product are something different but again with a company like Alpha chances are that a feature suggestion gets implemented more rapidly then you may need to actually create the workaround and that feature may in turn serve others and so on. Bugs will always be around but let's focus on the power we have as a developer with Alpha!
                    Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper87 View Post
                      Not every bug that is fixed is being listed in the release notes, sometimes it would take more time to describe the bugfix then to fix the bug in the end serving nobody. As far as workarounds for bugs goes I hate them; in the end they serve nobody especially not with a product like Alpha where you 99% of the time get a fix within a day or less. Workarounds for limitations or missing features in a product are something different but again with a company like Alpha chances are that a feature suggestion gets implemented more rapidly then you may need to actually create the workaround and that feature may in turn serve others and so on. Bugs will always be around but let's focus on the power we have as a developer with Alpha!
                      I adamantly disagree that the bugs that are fixed (especially important ones) shouldn't be in the release notes or in the very least documented somewhere. Not only bugs, but changes also, even fairly small ones that may affect users. It's important information chronicling what's going on and allows users an informed decision on whether or not to go to that build.

I hate work-arounds too. But you don't have a choice when you are running live.

I always turn in bug reports when I find one and the guys at Alpha are excellent at getting them fixed in a timely manner. Case in point, the bug I was talking about will be fixed in tomorrow's build. That's fast!

The problem is that usually these bugs are fixed only in the pre-release and you have to wait for a long time if you want to stick with the production release; hence, I'm usually running the pre-release.

I'm not trying to be negative. I am trying to offer some constructive criticism. Also, this morning I was pretty frustrated at having to do what I had to do.
                      Last edited by -Jinx-; 04-10-2014, 07:49 PM.

Comment

I pretty much agree with Jinx as well as Frank, even though quality control is very important when releasing formal upgrades/updates. My experience with all these updates is that sometimes a feature that was working will stop working causing huge issues with end users, and as expressed here by others, Alpha's Team excellent support comes to the rescue and when the issue is reproduced a fix is made available very fast which is great.

I would assume all the issues I have found are due to adding new functionality that at some point will cause a bug to be introduced, but on the other hand considering the amount of new functionality being added to the same product in such a short period of time, we are very lucky just a few bugs are introduced, so now whenever I decide to use a new version of Alpha pre-release or production, I simply try to set aside enough days for me to test major core functionality of my application before going into production.
                        Edhy Rijo
                        Progytech
                        (Computer Consultants)
                        The makers of CardTracking.Net
                        www.progytech.com

Comment

Fast, like a Cheetah....

Build 2091-4284 11-Apr-2014 - Alpha Anywhere Version 2

Bugs

UX Component - List Control - Multi-Select -
                          If the List control was configured to allow multiple rows to be selected, when the UX was submitted, the selections in the List were not being returned as an array, as they should have been. Instead, they were being returned as a '\n' delimited string. This bug was introduced in the last update.
                          Thanks Alpha! I get to run the production release still!

And thanks for adding it to the notes.

Now I'll get busy un-work-arounding my work-around.

Comment

Working...
                          X