Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Delete from list control using button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delete from list control using button

I have looked for this in the videos and documentation, but I can't find what I need. I want to have a button in a list control that deletes the selected record. I have used:

{dialog.object}._listRemoveSelectedRows('Contact');

And that temporarily removes the row from the list, but it does not actually delete the record. Do I have to use a popup UX component and delete it from that or is there a method that allows a delete by clicking a button in the list? I am using MySQL as my backend.

Thanks
    Greg

Re: Delete from list control using button

The List control is more of a Read-only control... than an editing control. I believe more is coming for the List control that will allow a detail view of the record selected without going to a separate UX. I don't think it's all wired up yet.

You could open the record selected in a UX and delete it there... or fire off an ajax callback which would delete the record at the sql level.

Comment

Thanks David

I thought that was the case, but figured I would ask just to make sure.

Comment

In theory you can do this.

You can great an action that deletes a records. And put a button on the list control to delete it. You will need to do it all behind the scenes and then refresh the list.

One way would be to pass a SQL statement which would just fire a delete action. Or you can put a dialog that will not be navigated to and fire a delete action via predefined control. When it's done it can bring up a popup dialog box and then refresh list. Sorry I generalised it all but there are ways of doing it.

Comment

Yes what DavidK and Dan said (fire off an ajax callback)

Create a Button control

Javascript Click event >>

choose Server-side XBasic

and it will make some SuperLongServerSideRandomFunctionName for you

add some code along the lines of this (I just tweaked some of my code as an example, this is not strictly tested code, and I am using SQL Server not MySQL, so the MySQL call to execute your Stored Procedure might be slightly different... post back your code here if you go down this path!)

Code:
          function serverside_25e008027bbc4499a84542214401afb2 as c (e as p)

dim cn as sql::connection
          	cn.Open("::name::MyNamedDatabaseConnection")

dim strSP as c
                  dim strID2delete as c

strID2delete = e.dataSubmitted.buttonList1      

' NOTE: the right side of strID2delete  will be different for you
          ' because you have to get your row ID data some other way from the e.dataSubmitted object
          ' use FireBug in Firefox to inspect the  e.dataSubmitted  that is passed from the browser to the server
          ' when you click your delete Button 
          ' (see Selwyns videos on using Firebug, there are several examples in his v12 UX videos)

' I was just using a bound buttonList control to get the ID variable to pass to the Stored Procedure, 
          ' in my particular example

' create our string which is the Stored Procedure we want to execute on the server, 
          ' followed by ID2delete parameter

strSP = "spDeleteRecordFromXYZtable '" + strID2delete + "'"

' or maybe just

strSP = "spDeleteRecordFromXYZtable " + strID2delete

' then run your stored procedure on the server, 

cn.Execute(strSP)

' now you have to make sure you have written a 
          ' Stored Procedure in the SQLServer (or MySQL) back end database
          ' that will delete a row from your table when the ID is passed in as a parameter

' and if your stored procedure outputs anything back, then add this bit:

rs=cn.ResultSet

dim strAnswer as c
          	strAnswer=rs.ToString()

' do whatever you want with strAnswer, display to user in a DIV, or whatever...
          ' see below in next section of code

' create a character variable e.g. named jsToRunIntheBrowser  which is used to 
          ' output a javascript string created in this function 
          ' and sends it back to the browser to be run as the output from this Ajax callback function

dim jsToRunIntheBrowser as c

'write all your javascript code that refreshes your UX, and add it to this string variable

jsToRunIntheBrowser = "{dialog.object}.whatever;"
                  jsToRunIntheBrowser = jsToRunIntheBrowser + "{dialog.object}.somemorestuff;"
                  jsToRunIntheBrowser = jsToRunIntheBrowser + "etc..."

' Return Javascript code to be run in the client, whatever is in the string variable

serverside_25e008027bbc4499a84542214401afb2 = jsToRunIntheBrowser

end function
          Last edited by mixter; 05-05-2014, 11:21 AM.

Comment

If you don't want to write a stored procedure that is run via server side xbasic ajax callback,

then an easier way might be deleting your record as shown in this video:

http://www.viddler.com/v/c6e39bf7

Comment

Working...
            X