Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help with Open a Grid Component - Link vs Filter - and how to pass link or filter parameter from a Textbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Open a Grid Component - Link vs Filter - and how to pass link or filter parameter from a Textbox

Hi,

This problem has eaten up more than half my day and I really could use some guidance please...

I have a UX, that is unbound (has no Data Binding)

there are 2 sets of a Textbox next to a Button
    that look like this
    20_FrontEnd_OpenByFields.png

The idea is to open a Grid, and link or filter on the value shown in the Textbox next to the button.

The first Textbox field properties Type is Character, and the second Textbox Type is Numeric

I have also set Default Values in each of the Textboxes, as shown in the picture attachment above.

The click event for each button is set to Action Javascript: Open a Grid component

I have tried using both Link and Base Filter method for opening the grid component.

And it only works... with default values

So if I do NOT type in any value into the related Textbox, then the grid opens (filtering on default value)

As soon as I try typing in a value into either textbox (even if I type the same default value) then the Open a Grid component returns "No Records in query"

So I tried it again using Base Filter (instead of Link) and the exact same behaviour....

Default values work fine, the grid opens and returns rows

But if I type in a value into a textbox then the grid fails to return any rows.

The weirdest behaviour was when I used Base Filter as the method of opening the grid, set up like this
    BaseFilterVehicleID.png

Default value works fine, but if I try and type a value into the Textbox and then click the button, the grid totally fails, and the SQL shows that the Textbox parameter was not even passed across... as you can see in this SQL error message

41_iVehicleNull_OpenUsingFilter.png

Another weird behaviour...

If I click in a Textbox and type the exact same default value again
    then click the button, the linked grid fails

If if I click in a Textbox and type the exact same default value again, but I only over-type one single character of the default value
    then click the button, the linked grid works fine.

I even tried using a Javascript function for each of the Link but that failed also, the grid doesn't render and returns no message

30_LinkUsingFunction.png

31_LinkFunction.png

What am I doing wrong here?

Re: Help with Open a Grid Component - Link vs Filter - and how to pass link or filter parameter from a Textbox

take a look:

http://screencast.com/t/rC5V1Dey
    is this you are looking for?

edit: I noticed you wanted to find out when you set up a default value,
    so here is that part.

http://screencast.com/t/v4tDBUl2
    Last edited by GGandhi; 04-30-2014, 08:20 AM.
    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
    mysql backend
    http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
    [email protected]
    1 914 924 5171

Comment

Re: Help with Open a Grid Component - Link vs Filter - and how to pass link or filter parameter from a Textbox

Thank you for that Gandhi, most appreciated!

You confirmed I am doing the right thing

Your videos are exactly what I've done.

Somehow I think my UX has gone haywire. I am going to scrap it and start fresh again with a new UX

To give you an idea of the frustration I've had today,

your second video with the default values...

I have that situation exactly.

and my linked/filtered grid does open correctly, with nicely filtered data when I click the button,
      BUT only if I accept the default value (and don't touch it with my keyboard)

If I type anything in the Textbox (i.e. type over the default value)
      then I get zero result set.

Even if I type in the exact same default value.

I will scrap this UX and start again fresh... I have made a lot of changes to this UX along the way and something is not right.

I will post back here with my results!

P.S. There was only one very minor difference in your video

The only thing different I noticed was one minor thing

Your builder (Alpha V11) put double quotes around your numeric parameter, and mine (Alpha V12) did not put any quotes around my numeric parameter

my Base Filter was being entered by the builder as

iVehicle ={idvehicle}

when I change it to

iVehicle ="{idvehicle}"

it works *slightly* better, for the fact that I no longer get the SQL Server error

However I still get zero results filtered in the grid (unless I accept the default value in the Textbox, and then it works fine)

Comment

just want to remind you that I mentioned this is taken from alphasports and the id is character field.
        if you do not succeed post back I will redo with numeric data.
        (I did not want to mess with my tables so I did not work with my tables.)
        thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
        mysql backend
        http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
        [email protected]
        1 914 924 5171

Comment

Ah, OK thank you for clarifying that, about the ID in alphasports being Character data type.

So that clarifies the builder is working the way it should, with quotes (or not) around parameters, based on their data type.

I am thankful you confirmed I am doing the right thing.

I have this same linked grid technique working fine on several other UX.

It's just bizarre that on this particular UX, the Link/Filtered grid pops up perfectly when I click the button, using the default value in the Textbox,

but as soon as I type in anything, even the exact same default value, into the Textbox and click the button, the grid returns zero records

I will rebuild a new UX, and will post back here later. I have a feeling now that it will work correctly if I just start afresh.

Comment

Well I rebuilt my UX several times, and the exact same thing happened each time.

But I figured out what was going on...

It was OK if I targeted the grid to a Popup window

but it was NOT OK if I targeted the grid to the currently active Panel Card (which is what I wanted)

the solution was target the grid to another Panel Card and then set that Panel Card to be active

I posted about it here to save someone else running into the same problem:
            msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaforum/showthread.php?110508

Comment

Working...
            X