Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Warning: don't open a linked/filtered grid in the same Panel Card using a type-in textbox parameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning: don't open a linked/filtered grid in the same Panel Card using a type-in textbox parameter

Hi,

I discovered an unexpected behaviour I would like to warn people about in advance, because it's taken up a large chunk of my time figuring this out.

It's easy to work around this problem, so long as you are aware of it, hence the reason for me posting this now!

Click here to see the video I made demonstrating the unexpected behaviour

Essentially it comes down to this:

You have a Panel Card on a UX

You want to open a Linked or Filtered Grid

DON'T try and open a linked/filtered grid in the currently active Panel Card
    IF the parameter that you are using to link or filter the grid
    is a textbox on that same Panel Card,
    AND you need to type a value into the textbox.

For some reason, the parameter disappears and is not passed across via the link/filter, as would be reasonably expected.

The workaround is to open the linked/filtered grid in another panel card, and then set that other panel card to be active.

Cheers!
    Last edited by mixter; 05-01-2014, 08:33 AM.

Re: Warning: don't open a linked/filtered grid in the same Panel Card using a type-in textbox parameter

Did you send in a bug report?

It sounds like it may be a bug and if it is, it will get fixed pretty quickly after a report is sent in.

Comment

Re: Warning: don't open a linked/filtered grid in the same Panel Card using a type-in textbox parameter

Bug report submitted.

Whether or not it's a bug, it sure was a bit of a time-sink

Anyway, crisis averted now, I am unstuck and productive again.

Comment

Selwyn emailed back pretty soon after I submitted the report and said he will check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by mixter View Post
          Selwyn emailed back pretty soon after I submitted the report and said he will check it out.
          Selwyn is pretty good about responding to bug reports especially if you give give him good description and repeatable example, as you did!
          BTW, It seems like a bug to me! I will be interested to see what Selwyn comes back with.

Comment

Wouldn't opening anything in the panel card you're currently in destroy that panelcard? I guess that's what you're saying... but I would expect that behaviour.

I'm in... and working in a Panel Card. Why would I want to open a Grid or UX in the Panel Card I'm working in? Just curious?

Comment

That's pretty much what Selwyn said too

In my initial thinking for my use-case it didn't matter blowing away
              the input control values on PanelCard_1 by loading the grid over the
              top in the same panelcard, because if the user wanted to go back they
              would be entering a brand new value anyway.

However, loading the grid in the second panelcard is totally fine, and
              does make more sense now that I am thinking that way.

As a bonus, it actually looks cooler and more "app-like" opening in
              the new panelcard with the animation

Comment

But there'd be nothing to go back to since your original panelcard no longer exists. You'd have to re-load the UX... which means a call back to the server to get the UX. The whole idea is to not go back to the server if you don't have to. If you do... then do as much work there as possible. Once you're back in the client-side, do as much as can there without going back to the server.

Comment

My use-case is the end user only loads that first UX page once a day, so they don't go back to it again (99.9% of the time)

They click today's date (or yesterday's if they forgot to enter something from yesterday, which shouldn't really happen anyway)
                  and that's all they ever do on that UX, the rest of their day's work is spent on the next Grid as their home page.

It's no big deal now, because I am just loading the "homepage" grid in PanelCard_2 which works great, and the page-across animation looks nice too

Comment

Working...
                  X