Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

OneDrive for development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OneDrive for development

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with using OneDrive/iCloud with storing the alpha project files and developing from multiple machines?

My goal is to put all my project files in my Google or OneDrive and then develop from either my desktop or laptop.... As i understand the files are copied locally and then sync'd with the OneDrive....

Before I venture out to do this i'd rather ask if anyone has done this and/or see how it worked. i.e. where/are there any limitations, etc?

Thanks
    Lee

Re: OneDrive for development

Hi Lee

I use ZebraHost and all my development is done having installed my copy of Alpha on the host. Its a little slower than developing locally, but I find it works really well, as I can develop anywhere I have access to a PC and the net.

I use remote desktop protocol to access the server and its then just works like a normal PC.

Hope that helps a bit. Feel free if you have more questions ...

Phil

Comment

Thanks for your input Phil.

I too use ZebraHost. Good idea to develop there. However, my issue then becomes when I'm in an area with no internet access (i.e. a long flight--which seems to be very common for me now) and need to get some work done.

Thanks again

Lee

Comment

Hi Lee,

I use Dropbox both in my dev. computer (W7) and server (Windows VPS).
        I publish my work locally, and in a few seconds it is live on the server as well (Dropbox's excellent delta sync mechanism sends only the changed bits, not whole files)
        If you are a paid Dropbox user, you can optionally have unlimited "old versions" and even "deleted files" of your work so that there is no need to manually backup your files.

Regards..

Cemo

Originally posted by leetv View Post
        Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with using OneDrive/iCloud with storing the alpha project files and developing from multiple machines?

My goal is to put all my project files in my Google or OneDrive and then develop from either my desktop or laptop.... As i understand the files are copied locally and then sync'd with the OneDrive....

Before I venture out to do this i'd rather ask if anyone has done this and/or see how it worked. i.e. where/are there any limitations, etc?

Thanks
        Lee

Comment

Another option if you have access to a remote server is to use some type of source control such as CVS or Git. The advantage of source control is the repositories contain a full history of all changes, so it is easy to roll back.

Comment

Hi,
            I am not 100% sure but it seems in order to run alpha five you need an active internet connection.
            I tried today to run alpha five while being offline and it did not start it gave a message like "licence information not included".....
            So if the purpose is to devellop with alpha while offline you need to double check this...

**Update**
            you can open alpha offline... I rechecked there is no problem it works perfectly offline. I don't know why this morning I had a licensing message but went out alone!
            Paul
            Last edited by PaulAmmoun; 06-17-2014, 11:00 AM.

Comment

BTW, Dropbox, OneDrive, Box.net etc. works only if you are the only developer.
              Because there is no "file locking", check-in/out mechanism which is needed for multi-developer scenarios.

Cemo

Originally posted by cemopolat View Post
              Hi Lee,

I use Dropbox both in my dev. computer (W7) and server (Windows VPS).
              I publish my work locally, and in a few seconds it is live on the server as well (Dropbox's excellent delta sync mechanism sends only the changed bits, not whole files)
              If you are a paid Dropbox user, you can optionally have unlimited "old versions" and even "deleted files" of your work so that there is no need to manually backup your files.

Regards..

Cemo

Comment

Thanks guys, this is some excellent information. I'm the only developer so no conflicts should be created. Again thanks. Now I can fly, work, and sync! --this really is Alpha Anywhere! LOL

Comment

Working...
                X