Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Thoughts on Zebra Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on Zebra Hosting

I received an email from Zebrahost about three weeks ago indicating that the physical server on which my Hyper-V server was located had reached the end of its life and that it was being replaced with a new faster machine. I was requested to schedule a time for the changeover and informed that the IP address would be changing. The email further informed me that in addition to Alpha I was also using MySQL and that my connection strings may need to be changed. Thirty minutes after the scheduled changeover, I was informed by Jason via email that the conversion was complete. I promptly put the URL with the new IP address in my browser and fired up the application. It ran like a champ with no further changes required - no reactivation of the license required and no republishing of the application. I then had to go into Alpha and change the IP address in the publishing profile for future use and also in remote desktop. The Zebrahost service was great - they clearly understood the implications for Alpha hosting during the conversion and made this essentially a non-event for me (other than getting a brand new faster server!). I really would not consider going anywhere else for Alpha hosting.

Terry

Comment

I've been using ZebraHost for, I'm guessing, 10 years, and in all that time I've had my personal sites and all but two of my client's sites on ZebraHost. The best thing about ZebraHost is instant service and an in depth knowledge of how to set up the server to maximize Alpha for any needs. Over the years, every time there was a problem, Clive and Jason learned from it and used that knowledge to help all their customers in the future.

The two that didn't use ZebraHost...not so good. One client was a "host it at a local guy in his garage". Poor performance, lack of understanding about how to configure for alpha, lots of headaches. When I got overwhelmed with business and had to cut back on clients, that was the one I picked. The other client wanted to save money by going to GoDaddy. That is a do-it-yourself site (for dedicated servers, you are on your own ). I knew enough to get it running after a few trial and errors, but eventually we had to go to his parent company in Poland for the server admin. I wouldn't suggest that route unless you are an experienced Server Administrator and Database Administrator.
      Pat Bremkamp
      MindKicks Consulting

Comment

I am in agreement with most here. Like many of you, I don't need to host on ZebraHost; I know enough about the process that I could host anywhere and take care of the server myself, and probably pay a bit less. In fact, although I host with ZebraHost, I structure and maintain the server the way I want to (which is slightly different than how they like to structure installations). But I do host with ZebraHost because of the several times I really needed the support, they were there immediately, and they know what to do. If I go on vacation (it happens) my client's can call Clive and they will do their best to cover me while I am unavailable.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Check your spam folder
          Chad Brown

Comment

I've been with Zebrahost since 2009. Fast server, excellent and highly responsive support from Jason and Clive.

Erich

Comment

I agree with all the others, Zebrahost is the best

Comment

I have used Zebrahost for years and have only great things to say about their service. In my opinion, they are the best.

Comment

I just sign up for 2 dedicated server with them, the speed is great, response is good and responsible. Jason will guide you .

Comment

Sent email to the above address. Got the following:[email protected],

Your email to our support system could not be accepted because it was not recognized as coming from an email address belonging to one of our customers. If you need assistance, please email from the address you registered with us that you use to login to our client area.

Zebrahost L.L.C
                    3800 Merle Hay Road
                    Suite 215
                    Des Moines, IA 50310
                    Serving Webmasters Since 2000

Comment

Jason: I sent the questions to your support address - I posted the reply. Here's my post with the original questions:

Questions about Zebra Hosting ATTN: Jason

[email protected]
                      3:34 AM (1 hour ago)

to support
                      These were the questions I posted on your web site’s contact us page a few weeks ago:

I’m just staring an application that will be web-based. With your experience, are there any “best practices” that should be employed during development that will make the transition to the zebra-hosted environment go smoother.
                      I’m using MySQL for my backend data base. Will I be able to use MySQL Workbench 6.0 on the hosted data base? Will I be using export/import to transfer the schema and data?
                      The application has four separate modules that all work against the same data base. Should each module be placed in a separate sub-directory, or is it better to have a separate tabbed UI but all in the same project. How does this affect my alpha app server license?
                      Is it possible to use the same database for the web based modules and perhaps have a desktop-based application accessing the same data base via a VPN or some other arrangement?

Please forgive the novice-questions. My past experience has been in self-contained systems using Advanced Revelation and other “ancient” development environments.

Mike Tankle
                      (MRTankle on the alpha message board)

Comment

Hi Mike:

We have responded via email. Please check you spam folder. However here is the content of our response since it may be of value to other Alpha developers:

1. There are no particular best practices for publishing to a zebrahost server. When you signup with us we send you 3 emails with specific details on how to publish. If you require more assistance after that we will walk you through the publishing process via a GoToMeeting.

2. Yes you will able to use MySQL Workbench 6.0 on the hosted data base. Yes you will be using export/import to transfer the schema/data. You could also use Navicat for MySQL which is a popular utility amongst our Alpha customers.

3. Will all your users be accessing all the modules? If so the tabbed UI would be the best way to go. If you want to go the 4 module route you will need 4 IP addresses. There is an additional cost of $4.00 per month per IP address. Regarding the Alpha Licensing here is information from their website:

The Application Server License is available as a 4, 8 or 16-Core license.
                        The Application Server is licensed per server, but you can install multiple instances based on the core licensing.
                        A 4-core Application Server license will allow you to run up to 4 instances of the server on a 4-core machine.
                        If you have an 8-core or 16-core machine, you will need an 8 or 16 core server license and again, you will be able to run up to 8 or 16 instances of the server.
                        If you are hosting applications for multiple customers, then each customer requires their own Application Server license (i.e. www.client1.com, www.client2.com, etc...).
                        If you are hosting multiple applications, but all on 1 domain, then you will only need 1 App Server license.

4. Yes you can access the same data from a desktop application via Remote Desktop.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us.
                        Affordable Alpha Five, PHP, MySQL Hosting.
                        Serving Webmasters since 2000.ZebraHost

Comment

Many thanks to all of our customers who have endorsed our service in this thread. As we approach our 14th year in business on July 7th we are grateful to the many loyal customers who have been with for much of that time. Looking forward to meeting with you again in Boston in October.
                          Clive
                          Affordable Alpha Five, PHP, MySQL Hosting.
                          Serving Webmasters since 2000.ZebraHost

Comment

10/10 Clive - a great team to work with, thanks - congratulations on your well earned 14 years.
                            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                            Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                            US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Your email to our support system could not be accepted because it was not recognized as coming from an email address belonging to one of our customers. If you need assistance, please email from the address you registered with us that you use to login to our client area

-Our support ticketing system prevents a ticket from being created unless the address is registered with us, this is to prevent SPAM in our ticketing system. However all members of support do receive a copy of any email sent to [email protected] regardless if the sender is not registered.

We will look into changing the auto response to better explain that

Comment

Nothing but praise from me. The best in the business

Comment

Working...
                                X