Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

{dialog.object}.submit() - is it successful or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{dialog.object}.submit() - is it successful or not

{dialog.object}.submit();
    Is there a flag set that I can check to see if the above command was successful or not?
    I have some extra Javascript code that I need to execute only if the above is successful.
    Appreciate your help! Thanks.

Re: {dialog.object}.submit() - is it successful or not

Presume you have something to save your data to the table in the server-side afterDialogValidate event? The genie for that code gives some suggestions. You can use the e.javascript object there as one option.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Steve, Thanks! I am able to see the Variable exposed by Action, by clicking on the 'ExecuteServerSideAction' and selecting [Action Scripting > Show variables exposed by action] similar navigation as
      [Action Scripting > Edit Action].
      rtc.flagWebSecurityhasGlobalError '.t. or .f. - indicates if the validation process had any error.
      rtc.flagWebSecurityhasFieldError '.t. or .f. - indicates if any specific security field had an error.

Comment

rtc.flagRecordWasSaved is true if saved false if not
        thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
        mysql backend
        http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
        [email protected]
        1 914 924 5171

Comment

JPMPA,
          To expand on what Steve said, if you are saving data in a UX then on the server-side event 'afterDialogValidate', formulate the javascript commands you want to run, if there is a successful save, and return that as a string in "e.javascript". For example:

function afterDialogValidate as v (e as p)
          e.javascript = "myJavaScript( '" + e.dataSubmitted.my_var1 + "', '" + e.rtc.my_New_id_var + "');"
          end function

In the above, I pass a piece of original data back to a custom js function along with a second parameter that tells the function the ID of the newly created record.

I defined 'myJavaScript' in the component's global javascript properties.

But be careful, naming the javascript function like this and putting it in there turns out to be a really bad practice - the function name may clash with a previously loaded version of the function or with a function of the same name from another loaded component. See this post #7 from here: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...om-a-parent-UX

Comment

Thank you so much!

Comment

It seems to hold good for regular Save, but not for security - add user Save.
              Regular:
              ExecuteServerSideAction("Save Data::Save_Submitted_Data_to_Table_s_")
              But when adding user (security registering user) - none of these seems to getting updated
              Security Add User:
              ExecuteServerSideAction("Save Web Security Values::Save_Web_Security_Values")

Comment

Are you sure the "DialogValidate" server side event was successful. Perhaps if that one fails then it never calls the "afterDialogValidate" function?

Comment

Yes, It is reaching the afterDialogValidate. ExecuteServerSideAction("Save Data::Save_Submitted_Data_to_Table_s_") shown here is inserting values - but ExecuteServerSideAction("Save Web Security Values::Save_Web_Security_Values") is not. [the first one is inserting values in my custom table. the second one is not inserting values in the security tables]

dim rtc.flagRecordWasSaved as l

'To edit this action, place insertion point anywhere in the command, then click the 'Action Scripting' button'.
                  if rtc.flagRecordWasSaved
                  'To edit this action, place insertion point anywhere in the command, then click the 'Action Scripting' button'.
                  end if ...
                  I added the following after it, but when I do some logic here - it does not work - does nothing for pass/fail
                  if rtc.flagWebSecurityhasGlobalError = .T. then
                  'Security values NOT ok, inform users.
                  else
                  'Security values ok, do some action allowed if data is valid.
                  end if

Comment

I have not tried this yet. But my first guess would be to check for a mismatch between Alpha the primary key definition for the table. Second, I'd turn on the "Capture debugging information" property in the UX and check for the log file it describes and see if its contents give any clues. Third, click on the action script line in xbasic and click "Action Scripting" in the toolbar and convert it to text so you can see what happens if you put in a debug(1) statement and run in Working Preview.

Comment

Ok Thanks!

Comment

dim rtc.flagRecordWasSaved as l

if rtc.flagRecordWasSaved
                        end if ...
                        1) ExecuteServerSideAction("Save Data::Save_Submitted_Data_to_Table_s_") -- inserts into custom table for additional fields
                        2) ExecuteServerSideAction("Save Web Security Values::Save_Web_Security_Values") -- inserts into Alpha security tables

This is the issue -the first one inserts the value into my custom table [say: RegisteredUsers] (rtc.flagWebSecurityhasGlobalError flags works great to let me know the result)
                        I wanted to see what happens if the security values are not inserted because of some error (field length size exceeds, database size exceed, table locked, table does not exist, etc, etc - the point is if it happens ) in the security table by the 2nd procedure.

I was surprised that if error happened during the execution of the 2nd procedure, the values in my custom tables were committed, even when no values are inserted in the security tables.
                        I created this issue by renaming the security table WebSecurityUsers to WebSecurityUsers_1 temporarily.
                        So I am trying to see how can I capture the error when ExecuteServerSideAction("Save Web Security Values::Save_Web_Security_Values") fails.
                        Thanks!

Comment

The Save_Submitted_Data_to_Table_s_ works for me in alpha anywhere. Like when i fill in the fields of the controls i can submit to an external SQL Database table which I have created. But somehow this does not work on the device which i has installed on, I cant seem to "submit" the data in the controls to my external database on my current workstation. Is there anywhere for this to work?

Comment

Working...
                          X