Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Running Alpha Anywhere Application Server (V12) as a Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Alpha Anywhere Application Server (V12) as a Service

Hi guys,

I've been trying to setup the Alpha Anywhere Application Server (V12) to run as a Service on startup. From what I read there are 2 common techniques for doing this:

a) Use AlwaysUp (a program from running applications as a service)
    b) Set it up yourself using instructions shown here: http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/~alpha...e+as+a+Service

I've tried both methods and successfully got it running as a service in both cases. However, shortly after I'm presented with the below message/error when visiting my site - this implies to me that the Alpha license is not being picked up and authenticated correctly. I have successfully registered my license in the Application Server and so I can only assume that running it as a service is causing it to not send that information through correctly. If I'm to stop the service and run the Application normally, the site begins to work again and the problem ceases to exist.

I'm keen to have Alpha running as a Service for obvious reasons so would appreciate some advice on how to tackle this problem if anyone knows. Thanks!

Alpha Error.png

Re: Running Alpha Anywhere Application Server (V12) as a Service

Hi Jim,

I'm using AlwaysUp to run several instances of AA, and haven't had your problem.
    Are you sure you are loading the correct AA profiles, when starting it through AlwaysUp. And are you also running the AA with a defined user with sufficient access rights.
    AlwaysUp also has a guide for running AA, have you checked this out? Can be found here: http://www.coretechnologies.com/prod...sAService.html
    Kind regards
    David H-S

Using: Alpha Anywhere V12

Comment

Hi Jim,

With Always up you could try restarting the instance in current session (it is an option for the context menu) then you will have access to the Alpha tray icon where you can check licence information and make sure it is configured correctly and activated.

Comment

It has everything to do with where the app server 'configuration' file is. The config file holds the license number. It is possible (although I dont know how) that you are pointing to two different config files depending on whether you are starting the app server from Program or from AlwaysUp. Here is a place to start.

Start the app server from Programs and verify that the license is in place, and the server does not revert to demo after 20 minutes. Then right click on the server icon (system tray bottom left) and select Interactive.

Enter this: ?a5_GetAppServerConfigFile() and get the result. Now, so I don't have to type it all, follow the directions in this Help file to reference the config file in AlwaysUp: http://help.alphatogo.com/alphafive/
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks so much guys. You're all awesome for replying so quickly. I'm based in Hong Kong and it's late here now so I'll take a look as all your suggestions tomorrow and walk through how I've been doing it step by step!

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

Comment

Hi guys,

Just an update on where I'm at with all of this. I've been trying everything and really racking my brains as none of the recommended solutions have worked. We're about to contact Alpha directly as perhaps it could be something to do with the user license being purchased in the UK and used in Hong Kong - and so when they do their checks they might think we're using the license illegitimately. Anyway, lets see, hopefully we'll have the site live by tonight.

Thanks all!

Comment

If you can run the server properly not-as-a-service, and then it times out running as a service then it is just configured wrong. If you are using AlwaysUp, please show us a screenshot of AlwaysUp's main page including the "Application and Arguments" column which shows the program being run and the configuration file if any.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks Steve. I actually tried what you suggested and stopped the service, stopped using AlwaysUp and just ran the application server as normal but the problem persisted. That would suggest to me that I jumped to conclusions a little by thinking it was because I was running the application as a service. I think it's a completely independent problem of that. My dad (who's an experience user of Alpha) told me that he'd been reading a lot about this problem on the message boards and he seemed to think that my license may need reconfiguring/resetting by Alpha because of a location conflict.

We're just about to contact them to ask the question directly. I can't see this being something too difficult as it's pretty fundamental to their system to have the Application Server work smoothly.

Comment

If they don't contact you or you cannot resolve, let me know and I can help. I don't think their license is 'aware' of location. Actually you can test your license status easy -- open the Development copy of Alpha, click Help > About then click to show subscription information. Then enter your Web App Server license to check. It should come back with status.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks again Steve. As it happens they came back to me very quickly and I'm now hugely embarrassed to admit the problem. It turns out the license key I had entered was in fact wrong. It seems storing your keys in Excel is not necessarily the most sensible decision as 'Auto Increment' can get the better of you and in my case added 1 to my License Key.

I want to blame Excel but I should have thought to check. I'm sorry for wasting everybody's time, but am grateful for your help nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                    X