Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Cannot PRINT report.
    Looking at the xbasic error stack I see this occur

Code:
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. <MEMORY>.DDX
    Execution Stack:
    0#1 evaluate_shared_private(           
    0#37 OOhttpdServerClientMIME(ptemp,"AppServerMain")
    0#2 A5WCallResult = evaluate_a5w_to_response(page_contents,Response,quote(" " + eval_settings.global.Request.ScriptName),eval_settings,EVALUATE_A5W_TIMEOUT,RequestBundle.RequestInfo.Filename.Path)
    0#453 _htmlReportContent = a5w_report_html_saveAs(reportName, filter,order,phtml,global_variables(),printOptions,args,options)

when clicking the action button (javascript) in a detail view of a grid.

Again, tried everything I can think of including searching the forum, publishing - republishing.
    This is a layout report that was built from a freeform by converting to layout table via alphas right click menu.

Report does "preview html" locally, so I am sure it is a path issue. I cannot figure out where in the Alpha5 application I would make any significant change related to this issue.

So far my experience with creating a report and displaying one via the web has been a painful experience. From an absolute layout (couldnt figure out how to make a field growable (defys logic if its an absolute layout?) to a free-form report you can select to add to a grid - even though you cannot display them as they have to be a layout table - to finally converting that free-form to a layout and having it converted into something that visually I did not intend...

To me this whole report thing needs to be taken out back and shot - OR I need to learn how to use it.
    Not sure which but I am hoping for the latter....

If anyone has some thoughts or tips I could use to actually get a report to display on the web and actually work, please let me know!
    and yes after a couple of weeks of working with a single report, I am perturbed, lol.
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Re: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

I guess the bars are full of Alpha-pediacs tonight...
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

How are you calling the report? And yes, you're 100% right.. The whole reporting thing is ..... difficult! But I just went through this and was able to preview and even email a report now from my web app, so, maybe I can help, pants and all!

Comment

haha, yeah pants good.
        Ok so I created a free form report in the web projects panel. Looked great ( i thought anyways)
        second I tried to embed it into a grid via the detail view, action button. Created a button, selected the report selected initial view as HTML.
        Uploaded it tested, first message was a security issue ( of course) fixed that uploaded security setting after I selected always allowed.
        Tested - error, a layout table was not created!
        Ok back to the drawing board
        slightly irritated that I was able to select a free form in the first place via an action button in a grid from the web publishing control panel that can't display one in the first place! aack.

Converted the free form to a layout table, set my sql filter to basically open the report filtered to the invoice_id by an argument. That way it opens the report with the selected record. I am certain that the sql select statement and the arguments are not causing this problem as I have worked through similar before.
        I uploaded the report. window opens via the action button but it is blank.
        So I tested it locally - oh it all works as expected.

Checked the xbasic error stack on teh server and see the error i listed above.
        If you right click on the report and select preview html - it works so I am stumped.
        I tried to eliminate the sql filter, the argument either way it is the same error.

I created some great reports via the control panel but no matter which one I use I run into some sort of snag that is a show stopper.
        so far nobody has shown me a reasonable explanation - other than after I just reinstalled the full version of alpha.

At thsi point I know I have a clean install both of Alpha and all else in my application works as expected. I am very interested in being able to create what would amount to a printable invoice from my invoice table and the two additional joined tables, line items and payments.

Also of note I eliminated the second joined table of payments as I could not get the payments table to group correctly without affecting the items table. seemed easy in logic impossible in practice. regardless as it stands I have the invoices table, and the line items table joined by the invoice_id and as stated locally it runs as expected and prints as intended.
        Upload it and the call fails.
        I think the sql is good as I used a named connection.
        I am not sure of what else is called to create the HTML
        but I do know it errs.

thoughts????

Comment

I am using the following code to get my report to run:

Code:
          	interactionID = e.datasubmitted.interactions_id
          	dim recordfilter as c
          	recordfilter = "interactions_id="+ interactionID
          	dim fileReport as c
          	fileReport = "c:\Reports\rptClientNotes_"+interactionID+"_"+date_format(date(),"yyyMMdd")+"_"+time("0h0m0s")+".pdf"
          	report.saveas("Client_SessionNotes@c:\a5webroot\cct_internal.alb","PDF",recordfilter,"",fileReport)
          I have that in an ajax callback. I created the report in the control panel area .... haven't done the HTML report yet (honestly, didn't realize it existed).

On the Wiki, there is a lot of information about the reports for the older way of doing it (like I did).

Comment

I just created a layout report in the control panel, used the same methods sql statement and arguments. It works fine.
            I can't figure out two things.
            1 Why Alpha allows you to select a free-form when it cannot display it via html or the web in a UX
            2 Why creating a report via the web control panel does NOT work. Personally I think it is a path issue during the report selection.

Comment

Hi Charles, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, have been busy at the conference.

#1 : No idea
              #2 : It could very well be a bug... Can you find any examples from Alpha that you would be to try out and see if the examples work in a separate project to determine if it is a bug vs programming issue?

Comment

In regards to number 2# (an appropriate numeral) I think if it is a bug they should be able to reproduce this easily. If an Alpha employee is able to create a layout report in the web control panel, upload it to an alpha server in V12 and display it using a javascript action button, then it's not a bug it's something stupid on my end.
                Is anyone else doing this using V12 2128? If so let me know.

In regards to number one that has to be a bug, regardless Alpha has moved on to V3 and I cannot see them fixing anything going backwards...the year has past sooooooo fast learning and building things - too quickly!

Comment

Ok, so I created a quick report under Web Control Panel -> Reports.

I then created a UX component with a button that simply opened a report, in HTML format to display. I put that component in an a5w page. I uploaded to local web host. I opened up web browser on another PC and was able to run the report without any problem.

Can you create a sample project and upload so we can test? I am running the latest pre-release, so I'm not sure if that will differ than you.

Comment

I'm also getting the same error showing up in my logging. I have no users reporting a problem at this time. Any info on how to track this one down?

Charles did you find a solution?

Execution Stack:
                    0#1 evaluate_shared_private(
                    0#37 OOhttpdServerClientMIME(ptemp,"AppServerMain")
                    0#2 A5WCallResult = evaluate_a5w_to_response(page_contents,Response,quote(" " + eval_settings.global.Request.ScriptName),eval_settings,EVALUATE_A5W_TIMEOUT,RequestBundle.RequestInfo.Filename.Path)
                    0#62 x_out = a5_ajax_grid(tmpl)
                    0#144 pFlagSent = email_send_noprofile(pEmailSettings,pMessageSettings,SSLOption,flagAutowrap,flagUseDotNetLibrary)

Comment

Working...
                    X