Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Guidance on using multiple keys for embedded UX Components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guidance on using multiple keys for embedded UX Components

I have an aggregate data model (see image siteSales.png) that I want to create a simple mobile app...

1) Sales by Year (main List)
    2) Sales by Type when a year in (1) is selected the Embedded UX List is filtered by year (this is doable)
    3) Sales By Customer when a type in (2) is selected the Embedded UX List is filtered by year AND Type

How would one approach item (3) as there is only 1 return field in the list UX that can be used.

The data will be available via views from a MSSQL 2005 database

Thanks
    Last edited by atlterry; 11-02-2014, 08:35 AM.

Re: Guidance on using multiple keys for embedded UX Components

I hope this will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BamxuF3FeVI

Also, when dealing with mobile there are some other options you may want to look at. E.g. If you're looking at an offline scenario, then the Parent List properties section has a pre-load data property you could use. Lots of flexibility with this stuff.

Comment

David; that was a very appropriate video - I learned some new things - thanks.

What I started doing was have the salesType & salesByCustomers as separate UX's and then embedding them in the main UX component - I like the modular approach!

The Year list driving the 1st embedded Type UX works fine; but the Type list in the 1st embedded component does not seem to be passing the args to the 2nd embedded customer UX.

main.pngonClick.png

It is hard to explain... but I hope you got the gist of the flows. In your video the 2nd and 3rd UX would be embedded components with the type pushing arguments of year & type to customer

Thanks

Comment

So funny... I read "embedded" and thought... interesting... then completely forgot about it.

Here's another process that will synchronize the 3 lists with the 2nd and 3rd Lists being embedded

Something I didn't mention in the video... and which won't make sense until watched, the currType textbox can be hidden using it's Hide property.

It looks like you're using an Action to open a UX component... I don't think you need to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DihRSAvwHZA

Comment

David; I was not expecting such a quick response - on a Sunday night of all days !!!

Thank you - I can't say how appreciative I am of what you have demonstrated; This is day 12 of my evaluation and getting the components and SQL configured were the easy part - the app architecture (embedded UX's) and subsequent wiring of them was what I was struggling with. The 2 videos you put together showed me some key concepts that I can apply to my work flows.

Excellent and helpful - Thanks again!

Comment

Another structure for this could be...

Parent UX, hosting an embedded Child UX.

Child UX, hosting an embedded Grandchild UX.

By getting pointers to the embedded UX Objects, key data can to sent to those objects. When the embedded UX Objects are synchronized, the key data (sent by the Parent) can be used to filter the List data.

This is very powerful stuff.

I wonder if sharing the load of the components would make much of a difference... rather than the Parent hosting all embedded objects.

Comment

David I thought about hat approach but the one you worked on is by far more practical and less confusing from an organization standpoint.

Cheers!

Comment

David; I published my app in iOS as a test and the first panel shows data but the 2 & 3 panels don't... everything looks fine on the desktop. I tried using breaks & no-breaks after the label text at the top of the panel.

Also, the header goes right into the iOS info area at the very top.

Do you have any insights into this? Attached are the images.

IMG_1303.PNGIMG_1304.PNGUX.png

Comment

For the data... do you have your PhoneGap Build Project "URL for all Ajax Callbacks" property set?

For the header, I usually put

Code:
                  padding-top: 15px;
                  into the Header "Container style" property in order to skooch it down a bit.

Comment

Thanks David; I had the URL but I forgot I had changed the forwarding ports on my router !!!!

The skooh down CSS worked great too - I had the hardest time getting my certificate created and deployed - but that's just another learning experience. Next challenge is sales chart UX's - have you had any need to integrate a 3rd party charting library like fusion or kendo charts?

Thanks as always!

Comment

I know this is an older post, but running into a situation where this is a very possible solution. My short question is how (or can this) work in offline? My initial thought is that it cannot since the child lists are argument driven. In other words, if I am creating a new record in the parent list, how are my child lists going to synchronize correctly if there is no parent list?

Comment

Working...
                      X