Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Disconnected Warehouse and Sales Application Question (Disconnected)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disconnected Warehouse and Sales Application Question (Disconnected)

I am planning to create a web application to be used by a business that has a warehouse and 5 or more branches. Problem is that Internet connection is too slow and some areas dont have any access to the internet, and I think this is where Alpha Anywhere Disconnected feature comes into play. I just want to confirm if this would be possible to create and How does it upload sales to the server so that managers can see live data, in other branches of the business, they will do the sales offline, transfers and receiving of stocks(hopefully this is possible) , then after doing the sales, transfers and receiving offline, the user will now travel to a location where he/she has internet access then upload the data/transactions. Is this possible? What specific mobile device will be used or what is the specific specification of a certain device so that it would be capable of handling the said scenario? Thanks!

Re: Disconnected Warehouse and Sales Application Question (Disconnected)

Hi again,
    for the devices if you are looking for enterprise devices and not phones you can check the "MOTORLO MC40" it is android and very heavy duty.
    I am not an expert but I worked with alpha disconnected features.
    To answer your question: The short answer is YES it is doable.
    for the long answer :):)
    you have to use lists with details view then add a synchronize button that will check if there is a connection and if so synchronize the list (s).
    If the connection gets slow and disconnect for some time during the day there should be no problem at all.
    But if you are planing to load the information in the morning then stay all day with no connection at all and synchronize in the afternoon I don't know if you will run into problem.
    I think to make it robust You will then have to add a lot of code.

I would also like to hear the answer of the "real experts"

Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul for sharing your idea, on using the list, I think it is only for single table, what if I want to have 3 tables on one page, I am basically doing an invoice app with inventory management.
      For the long answer of yours, since internet connection is always slow on one place, we will deliberately be loading the info in the morning then do all the sales offline then upload in the afternoon after closing time.
      by the way, you mentioned downloading the info in the morning, is it automatic if I connect the device online or I have to code something on a button to download all info on the "MOTORLO M0C40" ?

Comment

Hi Jetson ,
        You can have as many list as needed. It can be linked together.
        As an example:
        List1 contains the invoices. (Invoice No,Date,Customer Etc..)
        List2 (Joined on invoiceno) Contains Items (ItemCode,Description,Qty,Price Etc..)
        List3 (Joined on items) Contains the serial No of the sold items (ItemCode,SerialNo Etc..)

I have done a small Application used on the warehouse. Where the warehouse user scan the serial no of the items to be delivered.
        The first list contains the invoices (The user search for the customer that is being delivered).
        Then a list of all items is displayed (For that invoice). He click on an items and scans the serial No. (If the Qty is 5 he needs to scan 5 serial No). etc..
        It is working ok and it is disconnected since not all the warehouse is covered with wifi. Nevertheless it does not stay all day without connection. It stays for 1h max.
        The big draw back is that for no apparent reason the user is logged out and needs to login again thus requiring internet connection. This is a major drawback for entrepreise disconnected app.
        I did not try it with phonegap yet. It just open in a browser I am using android with 2 machines (Having a barcode scanner integrated motorola MC40 and motorola TC55).

Whenever the list open it loads with the default list. Then you can add a "REFRESH" button that will re-load/refresh the list. Then you should also have another "synchronize" button that will commit the info to the server.
        Before issuing the command you can check there is an internet connection then inform the user.

I work a lot on invoicing / ERP applications.

Let me know if can be of any help (Within my "limited" knowledge of alpha).

Have a nice sunday

Paul

Comment

The other issue that may come into play (which I learned from the Alpha conference) is how much data will need to be stored in between internet and no internet. I believe they said the limit is 5MB (but I could be wrong on the amount). I have not used disconnected model yet so I can't give further advice, but I would recommend creating a quick mock up of the application and try it out for a day or at least simulate the amount of data that they will be collecting and see what happens... unless others weigh in.

Comment

How I wish it is not limited to 5MB only, Anyway I dont know yet how many sales or invoice records will 5MB contain. In some places, Internet connection may be lost for even a week, especially in third world countries. In the US , of course it will only take a second for Internet connection to resume, and that is how disconnected feature of alpha comes into play.

Some Developers Suggested http://visualwebgui.com , its free and has offline feature for Visual Studio Developers
            Last edited by JetLi; 11-09-2014, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Also not an expert but I've been working on a disconnected app this week. Just Googleing, there are a variety of answers to the local storage limits questions (http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutoria...uota-research/) depending on storage type, the browser, and some browsers/devices allow the user to allow more than the protocols call for, etc.

What I can say is that for the disconnected lists, Alpha is using "local storage" (as opposed to WebSQL or IndexedDB, etc). I've been working to figure out storing my page with UX component itself (panels for the lists with detail views, everything for this project in one UX) in App Cache, which is a different local storage type and Googling around I'm not finding clear answers on those limits either. I do see that there's usually a good 10MB in the answers given but this is usually shared at least in part by the various local storage options.

I am curious from "the experts" as well, though, how this translates to native apps. I assume the HTML5 storage limits are similar but do the components themselves cut into those limits or are they stored differently in the file systems so as to be separate?

Comment

Originally posted by pettechservices View Post
                The other issue that may come into play (which I learned from the Alpha conference) is how much data will need to be stored in between internet and no internet. I believe they said the limit is 5MB (but I could be wrong on the amount). I have not used disconnected model yet so I can't give further advice, but I would recommend creating a quick mock up of the application and try it out for a day or at least simulate the amount of data that they will be collecting and see what happens... unless others weigh in.
                I think the 5MB limit refers to the JSON object created to persist the record data (and cache local changes). Images, I believe, are stored in a separate space. Unless you encode them into the json object. .js, .css, and .html files live somewhere else.
                Alpha Anywhere latest pre-release

Comment

The images, js and css files, etc are stored in the App Cache I mentioned. What I can't get clarity on is if the App Cache and localStorage share that 5MB of local storage.

Comment

Local Storage is independent of App Cache.

App Cache is where the HTML, CSS, and JS files will be stored. The size of app cache is browser dependent. Some limit to 5MB or less. Others have no limit.

Local Storage is where you store data for your web application in the form of key-value pairs. Limited to 5MB.
                    Alpha Anywhere latest pre-release

Comment

Working...
                    X