Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Searchable Filtered List (PLEASE HELP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searchable Filtered List (PLEASE HELP)

I need to have a text box with a look-up or a drop-down based off a field that pulls an ID from a table to filter a UX list control. This filter will happen immediately when the user loads the page or when they select an option form the drop-down or text box. That list must then have a search box (preferably a keyword search, AKA onmibox) that further filters the records. This search will probably be triggered with a button, but the clear on this search field will be done from an in-control button.

In the future the drop-down box will have a default value of the location that is associated with the user who logged in, in case that helps you help me.

I have tried everything I can think of, but I must admit that there was quite a bit of combinations that I had to try so I may have missed that few things.

Re: Searchable Filtered List (PLEASE HELP)

Hey Jack,

I've read the post but I don't really understand it. Could you try explaining it again? Maybe include a screenshot of the UX with notes about what you're trying to do.

Comment

Absolutely. Please take a look at the attached picture and then the following explanation should make sense.

When they pull up that screen, I want it to automatically tell what "Branch" they are an employee of and filter the list underneath appropriately. This first part will be done somehow by linking an employees table to the registerdusers table, and I'll figure that out later. The second part, the filter, is what I am asking about. That drop-down (or lookup) will have a list of locations that it pulls from the Branches table. Now, the other filter would come from an optional (but almost-always used) search box, the one that currently has "jack" in it. Ideally, that box would be a a keyword search that looks for the inputted value in every field except Branch, that way a contact can be found by using a company name, phone number, last name, etc...

This should be easy, but I just cant figure it out.

2015-01-02 14_05_51-Alpha Anywhere.png

Comment

The way this is accomplished depends, so some degree, on how many records are in your List... and... if this is a mobile app.

You don't want to load thousands of records in your list if you're just going to go filter that list when rendered.

In your List Properties, set up an Argument that points to a session variable you've created when you log in. Then you create a filter in the List Properties that uses that argument.

Now your list is rendered with a filter already applied. The only records in the list are those for the user.

For the searches I wasn't sure if you want to search on Branches and text. Here's how to search for text.

On your search button put something like this...

Code:
        var searchValue = {dialog.Object}.getValue('txtSearch');
        var lObj = {dialog.object}.getControl('list1');
        lObj.filterListClientSide(searchValue);
        This code gets the value of your txtSearch textbox control, then gets the List control Object, and then performs a .filterListClientSide filter on the list.

This method searches all the columns in your List... even columns that are not displayed.

To have more control over which columns get filtered have a look at the list object .setFilter method.

Hope that helps a bit.

Comment

It does help a lot. Thanks so much.

To clarify on the Branches, that will be the alternative to the session variable. For example, the session variable notices that I am listed as an OKC employee so it renders the list pre-filtered for only OKC Branches when I load the page, but upon me clicking the drop-down and selecting "Tulsa", it would then instead filter the list for all Tulsa Branches. not sure if this manual Branch filter should be executed from the text's search button or from an onSelect event within the drop-down itself. I am thinking that it should be on the onSelect event and on the text button, and both of them uses both the text box search and the drop-down as the filter. Should probably use the session variable as the default value in the dropdown box to simplify things, but doing this is a whole different story because I am new to coding.

Comment

How many rows, in total, might be in the list... if the list were not filtered?

Comment

currently about 500, but in the future, thousands to tens of thousands. We are talking about a complete contact list for a construction company with multiple locations.

Comment

With that number of row I would use an Ajax Callback, selecting the rows needed, and then loading the list through code.

Comment

Yeah, I was just wondering that as well. I was initially making this application with the mindset of minimizing the load on the server any way possible, but after watching load times on mobile devices grow and grow, I am starting to question that.

Thank you again for all of your help. I especially appreciate the insight that is going to save me headaches in the future.

Comment

Working...
                  X