Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Admin to reset any user password WITHOUT "Old Password"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Admin to reset any user password WITHOUT "Old Password"

Thank you David. The UX should be attached to this post. AA 12.4.6.1.6 build 6348admin_add_edit_users.zip

Comment

How are you running your UX? Is security turned on and you're publishing and running the UX through an A5W page?

Comment

TabbedUI is on an a5w page. PageLayout running on TabbedUI. Frame on PL has security. UX runs without security inside that frame.

Comment

This is a common problem with Alpha users when posting issues. The post is usually "I have this problem" and contains about 10% of required information. You have a UX in Frame in a PageLayout in a TabbedUI in an A5W page.

Does the UX work when run in it's own A5W page, with security set to Always Allowed, published and run in either Local Webroot or on a remote server?

Your table "extendeduserinfo" is a web security table and should be named appropriately. Keep these things together. It should be websecurityextendeduserinfo.

In the XBasic function "getUserInfo", is a5ws_GetUsersWithDialog(e , rtc) running properly?

In my example, the UX is only data bound to websecurityextendedinfo. Why is your UX data bound, in a hierarchy, to multiple web security tables?

Comment

This may be a common problem to only post 10% of the needed info, but frankly, if I knew everything you needed to help me diagnose the issue, I would have included it. I am not deliberately keeping anything secret. Also, if I had all of your knowledge in the matter, I wouldn't be asking you for assistance. If you ask me a question in my quest to fix my issue, I promise to give you everything you ask to the best of my ability. I have not been involved in AA since you joined this forum in 2008; I've been doing this for about 3 months, so my lack of information is not deliberate.

When I created the "extendeduserinfo" table, I named it based on examples I found with AA. I have now changed it as you suggested. I changed it in Web Security and in the data binding for this UX. I also renamed the table in MySQL of course. Your suggestion definitely makes sense.

I created an a5w page as you suggested, and I put this UX in it. Both have security of "Always Allowed."

I have been testing this in Local Webroot, and when I published and went to that page, it gives me the same error.

As far as running properly, when I debug(1) the code, "e" and "rtc" both give plenty if information, however I am not sure what I should be specifically looking for. a5ws_GetUsersWithDialog does not give any errors, but to look at that in debug(1) it has nothing to display. Just e and rtc do.

I suppose the problem could be in the data binding hierarchy. I have to map ddUser, firstname, lastname, phone, UserName, UserPassowrd, UserConfirmPassword, UserRoles and UserGuid to unique fields. Many are in the extended table, however not all are. I can easily create these fields in the extendeduserinfo, however I am not sure how to map Guid or reference the passwords to the websecurityusers table. I was not sure how else to bind all of the fields without this hierarchy.

I do appreciate your guidance, and again, I apologize if I am not providing you some information that you need. It is not deliberate.

Comment

David,

I removed every table from the hierarchy, and I left the fields that don't have a connection to that table unbound. It seems to be working now. It was all about the binding. That does make sense. I appreciate your guidance in this. This UX component, as you modified, is absolutely awesome and about exactly what I was looking for. Thank you again.

Comment

I'm not saying you deliberately withheld information. What I'm trying to do, and this is for the majority of users on this forum as well, is allow you to understand the basics of a well posted question.
                If your UX is buried in 4 layers of gunk then you need to post that. It's not just the UX at work, but the TabbedUI etc. working against it for the most part. That TabbedUI is one old, buggy, badly coded, horribly patched component... and is one of the biggest time wasters in Alpha. You wouldn't know that... but any added complexity needs to be reported. More often than not, it's the complexity that causes an issue... and not just in Alpha.

Next is Alpha build #. There's no way to count how many times Alpha has broken something, then fixed it, then broke it, then fixed it... all the same thing over a course of multiple releases. It's important to know which bag of bugs we're dealing with.

You included multiple web security tables in binding, but, the UX already takes care of updating security fields in the Server-side afterDialogValidate event. You only need to worry about the extra stuff... which is the only binding you need.

Glad it's now working for you. Overall, don't make stuff complex (e.g adding security table binding) unless you need to.

Comment

It's important to know which bag of bugs we're dealing with.
                  Yeah, but how do you keep track of which bug is in which bag?
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                  https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Well, that's true. About a 10th of the bugs that are fixed are listed. The pre-releases that come out with no new notes are the ones that scare me the most. Something's been added or fixed and not a word about what it is. Sometimes knowing the build will help because a bug fix is listed for it, but most of the time it's a free for all. I can't believe that Alpha can continue living in such a mess.

Comment

I agree with David that it would be fantastic if Alpha would list ALL the bugs a particular pre-release addresses.

I totally understand Alpha is busy adding new features and fixing those bugs, but having a comprehensive list of fixes would really come in handy.

It would allow developer to validate that the bug has been fixed. It would also allow them to see if a particular bug they are experiencing has NOT been addressed.... so they can provide Alpha with a test case and bug report to help Alpha in its quest to continue to improve the product in all regards.

Comment

Working...
                      X