Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Navigation Problem With Linked Grids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navigation Problem With Linked Grids

I have an issue with record navigation while using linked grids. I have 2 grids. Grid1 is a vendor list, Grid2 is a list of inventory items. When you choose a vendor in Grid1, the inventory items associated with that vendor are displayed in Grid2. I created the grid components independently of each other, and linked Grid2 to Grid1 by using the linked content definition property of Grid1. I used the Master Template approach rather than using Freeform Edit Region.

The problem I am having is that if you select a record in Grid2, and then try to navigate to the next record in Grid2 by using the up or down arrow keys, both Grid1 and Grid2 react to the use of the arrow keys simultaneously. I move to the next inventory item in Grid2, but, immediately afterward, the next vendor in Grid1 becomes the active record, and the display in Grid2 is refreshed to display the inventory items associated with the newly selected vendor.

I do not have the problem if, when the preview first loads, I leave the vendor that is initially selected in Grid1 alone, and selected an inventory record in Grid2 using the mouse. I can then navigate through all the inventory items in Grid2 using the arrow keys with no issues. As soon as I selected a different vendor in Grid1, the problem begins.

I also frequently get a script error if I continue to press an arrow key once the problem begins.

I hope there is something basic I am doing wrong here as it is essential to the application I am developing that this work properly. I have tried everything I can think of.

Any advice??

Re: Navigation Problem With Linked Grids

Can you attach a small example so we can see what is happening. It's difficult to guess at a solution with the limited information you provided., especially since there are many ways to link grids. I know of at least 3 without using the Freeform approach and that does not include linked grids in a UX.
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
      Can you attach a small example so we can see what is happening. It's difficult to guess at a solution with the limited information you provided., especially since there are many ways to link grids. I know of at least 3 without using the Freeform approach and that does not include linked grids in a UX.
      What form would you like the example in? Video?

Comment

Videos are not good because we can see what's going on behind the scenes. Attach a small zip file so it can be open in order to see what is happening.

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
          Videos are not good because we can see what's going on behind the scenes. Attach a small zip file so it can be open in order to see what is happening.
          I sincerely appreciate your willingness to help me.

Please be patient with my silly questions: Exactly what should be included in the zip?

Comment

The zip file must contain the tables involved with only a small amount of data. Also include a complete description of what is happening, meaning a step by step list of what to do to observe the problem..

Comment

I have attached a zip file containing the information you requested. Within the folder is a word document describing how to observe the behavior I am trying to correct.

Thank you for helping me out with this!
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay, I had to re-install windows on my computer as well as install all the programs, Still not complete but it's usable.

I looked at the grids and no matter how I set up a linking, the problem as you describe persisted. I then created two tables and a set (linked 1:M) for your tables and one for mine. Then I created a default form for both sets, putting a browse on each table for the vendor tables. I made the vendor browse read only so the tab order is Vendorid, vendorname and then the items browse. Using your tables/set, I clicked on a vendor and then clicked on one of that vendor's items. It takes 2 clicks to gain focus to the item. (It should be one) I am able to move up and down the items browse with no problem. Now do the same procedure with my form. You will see the difference.

I also created 2 grids and linked them as you did but did not use the Custom Template. I think that would work OK but to chase down the problem, I used the Edit Free Form Region and placed it on the bottom. Look at my forms and grids. They behave just as they're supposed to behave.

The problem is in your tables, either one or both. I have no idea what the problem is but at least one of them is corrupted because there is an issue with the way tour items browse behaves. Try this.

1. If you have the latest patch, roll back to the previous one by simply re-installing that patch. If you don't have the latest, then download and install the latest.
                2.Then try your grids, did that solve the problem?
                3. If not create new tables, indexes, etc. Stay away from the field rules except for the auto increment field which doesn't need to be set right away.
                4. Create new grids and link them either as a linked grid or expanding row. (a few rows below the Linked Grid )
                5. Keep track of all that you do, each step of the way. Take the time to write down "exactly" what you do. If the problem persists, we will need that information.

Attached is your zip file with my additions. Hopefully, this will solve your problem.

Ken
                Attached Files

Comment

I am working on a V11 app that has this same problem. I searched and found that it exists here and there in other non-Alpha web apps. I just started to address the problem but appear to be fixing it by switching from a linked grid to a button that opens a grid component in a DIV below my parent grid. It looks just like a linked grid as long as I am only "linking" one grid, not multiple in tabs.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Looks like the issue may have been around for awhile. The big question is, why does it occur on some computers/developers and not all. Perhaps it has to do with the browser? I use Chrome.

Comment

I have yet to check out forskare's files (thank you Ken!); hope to get to it tonight. I would be surprised to find that it has anything to do with the tables. I created the native tables and data just for your testing. I actually discovered the problem hooking up to the tables of a functioning Access desktop application that has a similar navigation scheme. Just for kicks, I will also try hooking up to MS SQL Server tables, as that is what I ultimately intended to use as the back end. I don't remember if I tried different browsers. I will experiment with that too.

Comment

I created the native tables and data just for your testing.
                        Then I would:
                        1. Remove AA from your computer.
                        2. Download fresh files from Alpha.
                        3. Re-install AA.
                        4. Create a couple of tables and grids. see if the issue persists. If so, the issue is probably with Alpha. If no further issue, have at it.

Comment

This problem exists on all browsers (tested FF, IE, Chrome), and at least on V11 and V12, and has been around for many years. I have this problem across all Alpha apps where I have a Linked Grid with an editable text box in the child record. It only shows itself if you first select something other than the first parent record, and then click in a child record textbox and use the up/down arrows to navigate. Since it is across V11 and V12 and at least the dozens of install I have done, it cannot be resolved by uninstalling/reinstalling Alpha.

I turned in a bug report. I think it is actually a normal behavior for the browser and the up/down keys, but we need a solution of some kind.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thank you for submitting a bug report, Steve.

This is a very big issue for me. I am developing my app to provide extended functionality to a large company's inventory management system that is surprisingly lacking. I've done a ton of data entry, so I know it's all the subtle navigational details that ultimately make an app contribute towards productivity. This issue is practically an out of the gate project killer.

I have an Access desktop app that has filled the gap for years, but it is definitely time to take it to the web.

I seem to have a gift/curse for discovering bugs in systems. This one was particularly disheartening as I just got involved with Alpha, and was dealt a kick in the groin in short order.

How long does it usually take for reported bugs to be fixed?

Comment

Chris, it depends on the bug. But if you browse this forum you find that very commonly Alpha responds and fixes a bug during the same day. I tried to see if this bug existed outside of Alpha an only found a few not-very-similar references. I am nearly positive it has to do with how Alpha uses IFrames in their parent-child linked grids.
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                              X