Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

JSTree - getting database table into JSON format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JSTree - getting database table into JSON format

Hi,

DavidK was helping me out and had recommended JSTree, which is a jQuery tree control.

I can perform an AJAX callback to get JSON data from the database. I'm really lost on how to properly format the JSON data from the table.

I have basically done the following in my XBasic Function for the callback:

Function cbGetCats as c (e as p)
    dim cn as sql::connection
    cn.Open("::Name::dbConn")
    cn.Execute("select cfgcat_id as id,cfgcat_parentnode as parent, cfgcat_desc as text from cfg_categories")
    rs=cn.ResultSet
    txt=rs.ToJSONObjectSyntax()
    cbGetCats = txt

end Function

I thought this would be enough in my callback but nothing is appearing in JStree, and I cannot figure out how to use FireBug to see what is actually returning, if anything.

I have JSTree being called as:

function doJSTree() {
    jQuery('#jstree_div').jstree({
    'core' : {
    'data' : {
    'url' : {dialog.object}.runAction('getTD')
    }
    }
    });
    }

getTD is my JavaScript Action, which performs the callback. The callback runs, and I have tested that the database is returning the data properly, because I'll output it to a label.... but it doesn't appear in the totally proper JSON format (it has come back in a variety of ways..sometimes with everything delimited such as \"ID\" etc.. I can't even recall all the ways at this point.

If I manually add the data in the doJSTree function, without using an Ajax callback, the tree populates correctly. I have even taken my database output from the interactive window before (that appeared to be formatted properly) and placed in manually into the doJSTree function, and it worked...

Any hints on how to get the data from the table into JSON format????? THANK YOU

Re: JSTree - getting database table into JSON format

Ok, maybe I can get some further help...

I have figured out how to get JStree on the page, and figured out (I think?) how to return JSON data..

My issue is this:

JSTree is asking for a URL for the Ajax callback.... what would that be???? Do I need to publish the whole application first?

My XBasic function is called: cbGetCats and is in the code section of the project (I moved it from within the component).

Do I need to somehow create a a5w page to receive the callback, and if so, what do I put in the page??

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by pettechservices View Post
      Ok, maybe I can get some further help...

I have figured out how to get JStree on the page, and figured out (I think?) how to return JSON data..

My issue is this:

JSTree is asking for a URL for the Ajax callback.... what would that be???? Do I need to publish the whole application first?

My XBasic function is called: cbGetCats and is in the code section of the project (I moved it from within the component).

Do I need to somehow create a a5w page to receive the callback, and if so, what do I put in the page??

Thank you
      I don't know how to make a callback to the current page. I think it's possible, but not knowing how, you'll have to put your code in a separate file.

The return from your callback needs to be JSON data. Use ? to return data. EG:

Code:
      'some file called mycallback.ajax.a5w

? "['Root1','Root2']"

It looks like you can also use a function to populate the data instead (which might be easier than a separate .ajax file. User preference, I suppose.) If you don't want to have to put your code in separate files, you could use a function. I encountered something similar in Full Calendar. The function takes two parameters. The second is a function you need to call after you've finished doing whatever you need to do. The first is the node that's being loaded.
      Code:
      $('#tree').jstree({
              'data' : function (obj, cb) {
                  {dialog.object}._functions.jstreecb = function (t) { return function (data) { cb.call(t,data); }; }(this);
                  {dialog.object}.runAction('getTD');
              }
          }});
      This line: {dialog.object}._functions.jstreecb = function (t) { return function (data) { cb.call(t,data); }; }(this);

If you're not familiar with this pattern, it's a closure. Since you want to make a callback to the server to get your data, "this" is going to be something completely when it comes time to call it. To ensure you have "this", you can put it in a closure to generate a new function. "this" gets stored in t so it can be referenced in the cb call. Data is still unknown, so the function that's returned by function (t) still requires a parameter, data.

If you store the function in {dialog.object}._functions.jstreecb (or whatever you want to call it), you can call the function later:

Code:
      var someOtherFunction = function () {
        if ({dialog.object}._functions.jstreecb) {
          {dialog.object}._functions.jstreecb(['Root1','Root2']);
        }
      }
      Or call it from an ajax callback:
      Code:
      function getData as c (e as p)
        getData = "if ({dialog.object}._functions.jstreecb) { {dialog.object}._functions.jstreecb(['Root1','Root2']); }"
      end function
      Using the function instead of the callback changes what you're xbasic function will have to return. It'll need to call the callback function, {dialog.object}._functions.jstreecb, with the JSON data you generated.

Hope this gives you options?
      ---
      Sarah
      Last edited by TheSmitchell; 03-11-2015, 01:51 PM. Reason: spacing issue?
      Alpha Anywhere latest pre-release

Comment

Sarah, thank you so much! Can't wait to try this!!!! Thank you again.

Comment

Sarah, thank you so much! Can't wait to try this!!!! Thank you again.
          You're welcome! With any luck, I didn't write bugs into my example.

Comment

Hi Sarah,

Thank you! I'm still lost here.... getting into all this is just very new for me - jQuery and JavaScript and Ajax and everything else just seems to be such a large learning curve for me for some reason...

Here is my Xbasic Function (callback?) defined in my UX:

Code:
            function cbGetCats as c (e as p)

dim txt as C
            dim ntxt as C

cn.Execute("select cfgcat_id as id,cfgcat_parentnode as parent, cfgcat_desc as text from cfg_categories")
            rs=cn.ResultSet
            ntxt = json_reformat_safe(txt,.t.)

' for now, skip the database because I can't get that to format properly and force manual JSON 
            ' just to test 

dim abc as C

abc =  <<%json% 
            [
            	{"id":1,"text":"Root Node 1"},
            	{"id":2,"text":"Root Node 2"}
                ]
            %json%

cbGetCats = abc
            End function
            Here is my code to load JSTree initially (I'm find with loading all the children also, which in my mind is better... but I can probably figure that part out once I understand the order of how things go...

Code:
            function doJSTree() {
            	jQuery('#jstree_div').jstree(
            	{
                   	 		{dialog.object}._functions.jstreecb = function (t) { return function (data) {cb.call(t,data); }; }(this);
            	 	 	},
                   	 	 'error' : function (jqXHR, textStatus, errorThrown) { 
                  			alert('error: ' + jqXHR.responseText); 
                  			}
                  	      	 }
                 });

}
            I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to define: {dialog.object}._functions.jstreecb....? I was using cbGetCats to get the tree information... do I need 2 functions (in xbasic?) for that? Do I still need my runaction of "getTD", which is simply my ajax callback Action JavaScript? I'm assuming that would be redundant.

sorry for being so confused. I did read the link about closures but I'm still lost.

Comment

Hi Sarah,

Thank you! I'm still lost here.... getting into all this is just very new for me - jQuery and JavaScript and Ajax and everything else just seems to be such a large learning curve for me for some reason...

Here is my Xbasic Function (callback?) defined in my UX:

Code:

dim txt as C
              dim ntxt as C

rs=cn.ResultSet
              ntxt = json_reformat_safe(txt,.t.)

' for now, skip the database because I can't get that to format properly and force manual JSON 
              ' just to test 

dim abc as C

abc =  <<%json% 
              [
                  ]
              %json%

cbGetCats = abc
              End function
              Here is my code to load JSTree initially (I'm find with loading all the children also, which in my mind is better... but I can probably figure that part out once I understand the order of how things go...

Code:
              function doJSTree() {
              	{
                     	 		{dialog.object}._functions.jstreecb = function (t) { return function (data) {cb.call(t,data); }; }(this);
              	 	 	},
                     	 	 'error' : function (jqXHR, textStatus, errorThrown) { 
                    			alert('error: ' + jqXHR.responseText); 
                    			}
                    	      	 }
                   });

}
              I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to define: {dialog.object}._functions.jstreecb....? I was using cbGetCats to get the tree information... do I need 2 functions (in xbasic?) for that? Do I still need my runaction of "getTD", which is simply my ajax callback Action JavaScript? I'm assuming that would be redundant.

sorry for being so confused. I did read the link about closures but I'm still lost.
              Confusion is totally expected. I still go cross-eyed trying to understand how ajax callbacks work.

Basically, with the function method, what I'm proposing is doing a basic ajax callback to calculate your data and then calling a javascript function to update your JSTree when the callback completes.

**Alpha's ajax callbacks return javascript to execute in the browser.**

SO

What you need to do to utilize the function method of populating the data with an ajax callback to the server IS call the callback function at the end of your ajax callback that JSTree wants you to call.

Because you can't really pass all of the javascript that implements the function callback JSTree wants you to use, you need to save it somewhere. This is where {dialog.object}._functions comes in very handy.

You squirrel away your callback in a function stored in {dialog.object}._functions. You save the callback function in your 'data' function. 'data' is where jsTree gives you the callback you need to call. This is where you need to save it. (BTW: I did some testing and found that the closure is not needed - huzzah!):
              Code:
              function doJSTree() {
              	{
                     	 	'data' : function (node, nut) {
              [B][COLOR="#0000FF"]                        // Save this 'nut' for later:
                     	 		{dialog.object}._functions.jstreecb = nut;
              [/COLOR][/B]  	 	}
                           }
                   });
              }
              NEXT, you need to perform the ajax callback to get the JSON data from database:
              Code:
              function doJSTree() {
              	{
                     	 	'data' : function (node, nut) {
                                      // Save this 'nut' for later:
              [B][COLOR="#0000FF"]
                                      {dialog.object}.ajaxCallback('','','cbGetCats');
              [/COLOR][/B]  	 	}
                           }
                   });
              }
              In your xbasic function, you need to (1) get the data from the database (I leave this as a challenge for you to solve) and (2) return javascript to call the callback function you saved.
              Code:
                dim abc as c =<<%json% 
              [
                  ]
              %json%

dim js as c =<<%js%
                {dialog.object}._functions.jstreecb(abc);
              }
              %js%
                js = "var abc = " + abc + ";" + js;
                cbGetCats = js

end function
              And that should get you half way there.

I worked out a working example with a simple xbasic function and a call in a Client-Side event. It includes handling a child.

Here's my xbasic:
              Code:

dim node as c = e.node

dim a1 as c =<<%json% 
              [
              	{"id":"p1","parent":"#","text":"Root Node 1"},
              	{"id":"p2","parent":"#","text":"Root Node 2","children":true}
              ]
              %json%
                dim a2 as c=<<%json%
              [
              	{"id":"p3","parent":"p2","text":"Child Node 1"}
              ]
              %json%
                dim js as c =<<%js%
                {dialog.object}._functions.jstreecb(node);
              }
              %js%
                dim node_json as c = if(node="parent",a1,a2);
                js = "var node = " + node_json + ";" + js;
                cbGetCats = js

end function
              And here is the code I placed in onInitializeComplete (client-side event):
              Code:
              A5.loadJavascriptFile('javascript/dist/jstree.min.js',function () {jQuery('#jstree_demo_div').jstree( {
                     	 	'data' : function (node, cb) {
                              	// Save this 'nut' for later:
                     	 		{dialog.object}.ajaxCallback('','','cbGetCats','','node='+((node.id==="#")?'parent':'child'));
                     	 	}
                	 	}
                   });});
              I created a <div> element inside a Static text control with the id "jstree_demo_div" and included the .css file in the UX properties. I did not include the jQuery file that ships with jsTree.

In testing all this, I could only get it to really work after publishing locally. Live Preview & Working Preview didn't want to play ball. "fun"
              Last edited by TheSmitchell; 03-11-2015, 09:04 PM. Reason: badness

Comment

PS: I read somewhere that your node id cannot start with a number.

UPDATE: And then I tested that theory and it's total bunk. Number away.

Comment

Also, if you're still confused, ask more questions and I'll try to answer them.

Comment

Hahaha thank you! :) Trying to figure it out now!!

Comment

OH MY GOSH! THIS TOTALLY WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!!

I am sending you a PM...

Comment

jsTree is a really nice jQuery plugin... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV4NwFD86Ws

Comment

Yes, I found it to be really easy to figure out once I figured out the Javascript and getting the data into the tree... Sarah was right on with her help and I was easily able to connect the database table to it, return which checkboxes are checked, etc. I'd love to make it into a learning example for others to understand how to actually incorporate it into their own projects.

Comment

Working...
                          X