Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Git, Alpha, Team Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Git, Alpha, Team Development

Looking for some guidance for using Alpha with Git with a team on a single large project.

1) I open the Alpha project and enable git using the "git" button on the Alpha web projects control panel. This creates the .git folder within the "workspace" folder for the workspace I have selected. This happens to be my "default" workspace and currently the only workspace I have in this project.

2) I created a git folder on a network share and added a sub-folder with the same name as my project I use this as my shared remote repository. No workspace files, just the git tracking folders. I don't want to use github/bitbucket, I'd rather keep this all on our internal servers. Creating this folder, I then initialize it from the local repository (i.e. the default.webproject folder of my Alpha project)

3) Now I want to allow developers to work on this project, so I plan on using branches where each developer will get their own branch.

Here's where I need some guidance.....
    1) Are all of us opening the same project on a network folder or should each developer make a local copy of the project and each have their own local project?

If we share a common project I think it will get confusing to see the untracked/modified file counts changing in the project as we all work on things throughout the day, but it seems wasteful to make local copies of the entire project for each developer. It also seems more error prone to have multiple copies of the project that need to be updated from the remote repository as opposed to a single shared project kept in sync with the remote repository.

If I have each developer do a clone to clone the remote repository to a local repository, this doesn't contain all the files needed to work on the project locally. For example, based on where Alpha places the .git folder in a single workspace of the project the only folder tracked is that single workspace folder. So cloning, clones the shared remote repository to a local copy but that clone does not contain the alpha project file and so you can't open the local copy of the cloned remote repository based on this. If I move the .git folder to the root of the folder alpha creates when you generate a new project will this cause other issues if it tries to sync the project file or other files contained in the root folder as opposed to a single workspace folder?

Thanks for any ideas on how to best implement this

Jeremy

All I can say is, do whatever the the documentation tells you, if you have difficulty then report it and ask AA for assistance.
    https://documentation.alphasoftware....ntegration.xml
    Pete
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Thanks Pete. The documentation is great for installing git, adding git to a project but my question is not related to that. How does Alpha want you to use git in a team environment? Does every team member open the same project or does each team member create a local copy of the project. The git part is all setup.

Comment

Maybe this would be helpful but it does cost some $:

GiantKillerTraining is pleased to announce the addition of the Alpha 507 - Alpha Anywhere Version Control course to our training platform.

Alpha Anywhere has built in version control using the GIT version control system. Find out how to leverage this technology to dramatically improve your software development process with Alpha Anywhere. GIT is an industry standard system will help you take your Alpha Anywhere development process to the next level. Version control is the heart of a successful development process. Here are some of the great topics in the course:
        • How to install and configure the GIT system on your development environment.
        • Creating your first local repository.
        • What is a repository and how it is structured on your development system.
        • Using the GIT commit system to manage your development process.
        • Using GIT to roll back changes in your system.
        • GIT branching - the powerful tool for making your development life much easier.
        • Remote repositories - Both public and Private
        • And lots of other great information about how to use the GIT system.

You can learn more about the course by clicking on this link.

Course Description

As a valued part of the GiantKillerTraining platform, you can add this course to your dashboard by using the following enclosed link:

https://courses.giantkillertraining....ha507/s/5AHRDD

David Weinstein
        Best Tech
        [email protected]t

Comment

I am willing to pay for this training if it contains what I need but I've asked the author and haven't received a response yet.
          • How to install and configure the GIT system on your development environment. (done)
          • Creating your first local repository. (done)
          • What is a repository and how it is structured on your development system. (done)
          • Using the GIT commit system to manage your development process. (done)
          • Using GIT to roll back changes in your system. (done)
          • GIT branching - the powerful tool for making your development life much easier. (done)
          • Remote repositories - Both public and Private (done)
          • And lots of other great information about how to use the GIT system. (the unknown)
          My question is very specific and unrelated to git. Let's take git out of the equation. If you have a team of developers working on a project, does each developer work in the shared project folder or does each developer create a local copy of the project and then handle pushing and pulling to ensure their project is up to date with the server and that the changes they make don't conflict with other updates.

I don't feel like I'm phrasing the question well enough to be answered. Many of the answers I'm getting are using local and remote repositories interchangeably with the Alpha files. From what I'm sensing, each developer creates their own "local" cloned repository of the "remote master" repository. If that's the case, which makes perfect sense then my follow up question is the following:

When you git enable an Alpha project it creates a .git folder in the workspace folder of the project you are working on. If I then create the initial remote repository from this scenario, my repository only contains the "workspace" folder. The parent of that folder is the project folder and in that project folder is the .adb alpha project file used to open a project to work on. Since this parent folder is not part of the .git folder then when a developer clones the remote repository to a local repository it is lacking the project files and thus there is no file for Alpha to open. I know the answer will be simple when I am able to properly relay the question but that seems to be the big sticking point at this time.

Thanks..

Comment

Sorry, I just am not familiar enough with GIT to speak to any of your question but maybe you should speak to Alpha Sales about Alpha Cloud. Cloud gives you a lot of control with development, testing and then production. You can have developers publishing to the cloud and then after testing move those changes into production.
            David Weinstein
            Best Tech
            [email protected]t

Comment

Jeremy,

Your top level alpha folder - the one with the adb file should be where you git folder resides - see attached image. I have obscured certain file names as my client is hyper-paranoid.

It seems to me the whole point of git is for everyone to have their own version of the db. If everyone is using the same "team' folder doesn't that necessarily conflict? You need to have your .gitignore file with the following content:

Code:
              # Ignore adb, alb, alm, aex, wcp_settings, webpublishhistory, recent_files
              *.ADB
              *.ALB
              *.ALM
              *.MUF
              *.AEX
              *.wcp_settings
              *.backup
              *.a5hist
              *.WebPublishHistory
              *.recent_files
              lastSelectedProfile
              __staging.staging/
              __iispublishhistory.iispublishhistory/
              /backup
              # /Uncomment next line and set to projectname_History
              /wXXXXXXXXXX-PR_History
              componentTypeCache
              We don't use Alpha's built in git functionality as a member of our team evaluated it and found it doesn't play well in teams.

Good luck!

Alpha no longer lets you upload images so here is a link:

Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Excellent. Thanks Peter. I thought it made more sense at the workspace folder level than at the project folder level but Alpha chose not to take that route and I was even told that it didn't need make sense putting it there. Without it at the parent level and having those extra files in the git repository then when someone clones a local copy they don't have the workspace, connection strings, etc that are all part of that parent folder. Yes you only need those once, but I see you added them to the gitignore so problem solved..

One follow up question for you. If you put the git folder in the parent folder then Alpha no longer includes the git functionality within the program, correct? At that point you are coding in Alpha as normal and all git related functionality is performed outside of Alpha?

Thanks,
                Jeremy

Comment

Peter - what are you doing instead of using the built-in GIT functionality? Are you just using GIT desktop and checking in/out that way, etc. or using something totally different? I have started using GIT but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired - there is no check-out/in functionality and i think that is important.

Comment

Sorry guys. I guess this forum still doesn't work right as I never received notification that anyone responded to my post. Anyway...

Jeremy,

Right, we are not using Alpha's built-in Git functionality. Yes, we code in Alpha normally.

pettechservices,

We are using GitHub as our repository and Git Gui as our client.

--

We have been using Git for three years now on a very large Alpha Five web project with great success.
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
                    X