Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Absolute Layout Container – Create .PDF fails to download Background Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you looked into the log files on the server to see if any errors are reported there? Crazy that it worked for me without error.
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

I turned on logging. There are no entries that indicate anything amiss.

Comment

Hey folks,

Not sure if this will help you. We ran into a similar issue with generating a PDF report with images. They werent background images, but just images related to data and so we would have several images, one for each record. We were using a UX with list controls and using the Open a Report, Label or Letter layout action javascript. No matter what we did, the image would not show up on the PDF....UNTIL...we did the following:

1. In the Print Report as PDF File dialog select iniitial view as HTML
        2. When you open the report choose "Print HTML"
        3. A little window opens (maximize it)
        4. Print as PDF

See images below.
        image-issue.png

image-issue1.png

We feel there is a definite bug in the system.

Comment

Hi Pizzadude
          Do you have a link to the Jay Talbot's solution you mention earlier? I too need to have my users fill in a few fields then sign pdf documents...

Thanks
          Jaime

Comment

At the start of all this Selwyn said this.

but regardless of what Peter Conway says, I don't agree that it is not working.
            It seems we are all wrong.
            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
            Albert Einstein, (attributed)
            US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Do you have a link to the Jay Talbot's solution you mention earlier? I too need to have my users fill in a few fields then sign pdf documents...
              Jay's solution uses PDF_merge() https://documentation.alphasoftware....20Function.xml

To do this you will need to start with a fillable pdf. You can create or edit one if you have the paid version of Acrobat or Nitro Pro, or something similar.

One problem I've run into is adding a digital signature. I can add a digital signature field to a fillable pfd, but after PDF_merge() processes the pdf, the digital signature field no longer functions.
              I would like to know if anyone knows how to produce a pdf from a report in Alpha that contains a similar functioning digital signature field.
              Even better would be a solution to preserve or add a digital signature when using PDF_merge().

Here is a sample I created with Nitro Pro.
              mergeWithSignature.pdf

You will need to put the sample file in C:\MyFolder\mergeWithSignature.pdf.

This will perform the merge:

Code:
              function mergeWithSignature as c (e as p)

DIM jsonData AS c = ""
              DIM fnIn AS c = ""
              DIM fnOut AS c = ""

fnIn = "C:\MyFolder\mergeWithSignature.pdf"

fnOut = "C:\MyFolder\TestMergeWithSignature.pdf"

jsonData = <<%str%
              {
              "Filltext": "Fill from Xbasic function mergeWithSignature"
              }
              %str%

pdf_fillinfields_merge(fnIn,fnOut,jsonData)

mergeWithSignature = ""

end function
              The second problem I've seen is with fonts. PDF_merge() does not preserve fonts assigned to the fillable fields. So to display a font as intended that particular font must be installed on the client device. This limits the use fonts to those that are common to both windows and mobile devices.
              I'd like to find a way to over come this.
              Last edited by Pizzadude; 01-13-2021, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Many thanks for the explanation, will play with it
                Jaime

Comment

Solved!

Email from Selwyn...

I just figured out why generating a PDF for an absolute layout container was probably not working for you and why it was working for me.

I have phantomjs installed on my machine. You probably don't

in your case, because you don't have phantomjs installed, AAA uses webkittohtml - this library appears to have a bug

phantomjs is an optional install.

watch video for instructions.

http://aapatches.s3.amazonaws.com/ji...lphantomjs.mp4

Comment

dam - Selwyn is awesome.
                    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

I have phantomjs installed on my machine. You probably don't
                      Nice to have the answer - I don't have phantomjs either, maybe it needs to be part of the install. Anyhow nice to see he engaged and shared toe answer.
                      Pete
                      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

After following the instructions in the video to set up the PhantomJS as an installed package (for working preview) and in the Project Properties > Referenced Packages, it works as expected on the development server, but not on my production WAS.

There are various PhamtomJS files found on my production server, so it appears to bee published, but the result is that the background image is still missing from the pdf.

Is there a step i am missing to get PhamtomJS to work with the Web Application Server?

Comment

Well if you followed the instructions from Selwyn, and it doesn't work then I need to direct you back to the observation I made in this post on page one. Below is your application, 'displayPermissionDenied Msg' = yes in your browser but not in Selwyns, so again - why does that happen? Ask Selwyn.
                          2021-01-27_11-38-05.png

Comment

I think there is a problem with PhantomJS. Not sure if it is because it did not install correctly, or it is how Alpha uses it. Here is what I am seeing:

I started to see the the development was shutting down while I was testing this UX. The UX is the same as the first example I posted, but it now uses PhantomJS.

To run it you must install the PhantomJS package as described in Selwyn's video. See post 38 in this thread.

Build 7295-5448

Run the attached UX in a browser on your development machine.

Click the Download button, and it downloads the file, including the background image.

Shut down the dev server.

Restart the dev server and Alpha returns the message Port xxx is already in use.

Close and re-open Alpha and the dev server does not start.

Close and re-open Alpha again and the dev server starts.

TestAbsoluteLayout.zip

I would like to see if anyone (Pete?) can re-create this.

Comment

Working...
                            X