Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Create a Login using a UX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create a Login using a UX

I can't believe I am having problems with this.
    I have always used the built in login function/component but now I want to create a login utilizing a UX component, but seem to be having endless issues.
    I want to log in, set some session variables and redirect to the application page or to another panel.
    I don't need two factor authentication or a perpetual login, just a simple secure login in a UX.
    J.R.
    Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
    http://www.epigate.com
    sigpic

Tr 2020-10-14_19-12-42.png y this.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Thank you Pete, I'll do that. This seems like a much better solution. I knew the TabbedUI had this option, but honestly I missed this on the UX.
      J.R.
      Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
      sigpic

Comment

Alpha has a plain UX login template. It includes the two-factor auth, but, it's not enabled in the template unless you enable it. Meaning you could just delete those containers and voila instant login component.
        Mike Brown - Contact Me
        Programmatic Technologies, LLC
        Programmatic-Technologies.com
        Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

Thank you Mike. I had apparently made this much more difficult than it actually is. I appreciate the help from you and Pete.
          J.R.
          Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
          sigpic

Comment

Then you can take control. Watch this - as I say Security are just tables.

https://www.screencast.com/t/ewMbdmeIQHPJ
            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
            Albert Einstein, (attributed)
            US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Thanks for your input on changing to a UX for login functionality! Was just about to post a question about how the security tables were messed up after moving a website to Alpha Cloud. We originally used the Login component, which was working just fine on our own server for the past several years. However, after publishing to Alpha Cloud, only users stored in the "WebSecurityUsers" table could login, instead of the correct ones stored in "my_aspnet_users". Not sure why, but after logging in as administrator and resaving everyone's record based on our actual user table, they can now login properly. Rather than try to figure it out, looks like it would be best to switch to a UX login going forward...

Comment

I found out, once you move to the cloud, the security tables are no longer accessible. They are in the Alpha Cloud and the only way to interact is through the app.
                J.R.
                Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
                sigpic

Comment

I created a UX login and it works great, HOWEVER, i just found an issue. If I log in and close the browser without logging out, the next time the login page is displayed it somehow thinks I am still logged in and goes right to the dashboard, as if I hit the login button. I have this code in the server side onlogin event, e.url = "dashboard.a5w" and that's about it. Is there a setting I am missing. I didn't have this issue with the built in logging component, only since I created the login UX.
                  J.R.
                  Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
                  sigpic

Comment

On my login components I use a5ws_logoutuser() in the server-side onDialogInitialize event.
                    Mike Brown - Contact Me
                    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
                    Programmatic-Technologies.com
                    Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

I did that Mike, and it still loaded the Dashboard, but without any permissions. So it was just a dashboard with items that had no security.
                      J.R.
                      Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
                      sigpic

Comment

Have the page check to see if the user is logged in. If so, they continue otherwise go to the login page. Here is a sample from the wiki...

dim userName as C = Context.Security.CurrentUser
                        if .not. Context.Security.CallResult.Success then
                        error_generate(Context.Security.CallResult.Text)
                        end if
                        if alltrim(userName) = "" then
                        'Display "no user is logged in."
                        else 'Display user name
                        end if

just a thought
                        Mike Reed
                        Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Thanks Mike, but that is what it is doing and I do not want it to. Supervisors share two computers in the office, when one closes the tab without logging out and the next supervisor opens the app on the same computer it will go straight to the dashboard, BUT they will be logged in under the previous supervisors account. I think i have resolved it by putting this in the UX login Server Side onDialogInitialize: a5ws_logoutuser() AND this on the server side onLogin:
                          if e.flagUserWasAlreadyLoggedIn = .t.
                          response.redirect("logout.a5w")
                          else
                          e.url = "dashboard.a5w"
                          end if

Seems to be working fine now.
                          J.R.
                          Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
                          sigpic

Comment

I just wanted to comment on the security user/roles aspect when converting to the cloud. Since IIS is the security manager it must have all security data moved over at one time - initially. So, when you first deploy your app you need to select "Replace" (User and Role Publication setting) so that it pushes everything over. Also, I think your onLogin code may have a hole in it. Are you sure the user is actually being logged out each time?

Comment

The user is apparently NOT being logged out each time. If they "Log Out" then everything is fine, BUT if they just close the browser tab and not the entire browser, then they are apparently NOT being logged out. I don't know of a way to log out a user when the browser tab is closed. If they close the entire browser then everything is fine too. The above code will log out whoever was logged in when the login page is opened back up. That seems to catch it on the front side, which is better than nothing. Let me know what the hole is, i am nowhere near the level of most on here. I appreciate any input. Thank you.
                              J.R.
                              Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X