Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Page security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Page security

Hi, A basic problem...

For some obscure reason I now can't alter my page security. When I right click and open the dialogue box, the tick is always on the 'denied', even for the pages that are already marked as 'allowed' - see below. I don't recollect it being like this. Anyway, if I select a red 'denied' page, when I tick the 'allowed' line, the dialogue box closes, but the page remains red and 'denied'.

Have I lost my marbles....

Security.png

Works here for me, are you actually left clicking on the file first to make sure it is selected?

Comment

Yes, definitely. It's definitely faulty. If for example I then select an already green item and then change it to requires login, it then asks me to select the allowed groups - in the normal way - and then when I close it, it is still green. On re-selecting it has wrongly reverted to always denied, when it is in fact still green.

I am on the latest version, so I suppose the only thing I can do is re-install Alpha...

Comment

What if you try it by right-clicking the a5w page from list in the developer window instead?

Page Security.jpg
        Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Thanks for the advice. A hadn't tried that. On the face of it, it appears to work, i.e. it lets me change the page security to always allowed. Then when I publish the page it shows the security update being published - but I still get 403 Forbidden when I try to view the page in my browser. If I then check the page security status it has reverted back to 'Always denied'. Strange that accessing the page security a different way shows a different result... But I still cannot publish any new pages, so I guess I will have to re-install Alpha

Comment

I have re-installed Alpha and I regret that all of the above still applies - which sadly means that I cannot publish new pages

Comment

If I create a brand new page and go to the security dialogue box and set it to 'always allowed', I can then publish and see the new page. However, when I right click that page it claims to be 'always denied'! Something very wrong somewhere. I even tried rolling back to prior version of Alpha - no result. Help...

I see that in the latest Alpha, when you create a new page you now get prompted to set page security. So I think someone has obviously been meddling in this area..... But why is it only affecting me? Won't even work on my old PC

Comment

It gets worse... If I create a brand new .a5w page, I can initially state that it is 'always allowed' and then it will publish OK. I can then copy the HTML etc from the page that I cannot publish and paste it into the new page, and it publishes ok. But if I now look at that pages security, it states 'always denied' - even though it has published and I can see it in my browser. If I go the security dialogue box and make any changes, the page will then not be publishable. At least I have found a work-around, but I obviously have a serious problem

Comment

Have you tried doing a full publish. I am now in the habit of doing a full publish after changing page security as sometimes the incremental doesn't get the change. I also never use the page security tool but rather I use the shortcut on the right click as iRadiate showed.
                  David Weinstein
                  Best Tech
                  [email protected]t

Comment

Thanks for the input. Yes, I did try publishing all files. Same result. There is a glitch somewhere, because I can now see my new page online yet it is shown as 'always denied'. I'll just have to make sure I keep out of page security - but its not a long term solution. Maybe something will come up...

Comment

Try deleting your publishing history and publish everything, including security.
                      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                      Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                      US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Thanks very much for that, Pete. It's made a difference, i.e. the colours are now correct in the list - see below. The Blog00054.a5w was showing red prior to deleting the publishing history. However, as you can see, it still claims to be 'always denied' in spite of the fact that it is showing green and is definitely visible in any browser. But its a step in the right direction. Many thanks

Secure.png

Comment

Copy the page to new name - delete the original, ensure the newly names page is set to green then publish it. The go to the webroot and delete the original.
                          Then copy to the original name, ensure its green then publish it - then cross your fingers.
                          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                          Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                          US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

In the Nightly Build notes there is a bug that they fixed with this note, maybe it applies:

Build 7184

Web Applications - Fixed an issue in setting page or component security if the Workspace was opened from a network share.

David Weinstein
                            Best Tech
                            [email protected]t

Comment

Hopefully the new build will resolve the issue...

I have tried your suggestion Pete, i.e. including deleting the original file in the webroot, but I still get a 403 if I try to view the page with its previous name. (Which also remains red in the page security). It appears that I can only publish new pages at this time, and they will remain green and be updateable. Yet page security still shows it as 'always denied'.

I don't know if it makes a difference that my A5webroot is on an internal server on our network - as opposed to being on the same PC as my Developer.

Comment

Working...
                              X