Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

script:json_parse() line 46 Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

script:json_parse() line 46 Error

I just updated my laptop to 7295_5548 (using the Universal Installer, ugh, but that's another issue) to work on a mobile project. I opened the Workspace and tried to Preview a Form and got the error message below:

Capture.PNG

I've experimented in various ways trying to isolate the issue but it occurs with all Forms in the UX; even if I add a totally new Form and try to Preview it I get the error. So clearly it's not a FormView issue, it's something in the component itself, but I have no idea where to look (I've tried everywhere javascript and json objects appear but no go). The odd thing is that this problem does NOT occur if I use build 6699_5464. It also doesn't occur if I try a new Workspace so it's got to be something in the component itself but I really don't want to have to rebuild everything just to be able to use the latest Alpha build.

I've even tried "downgrading" (again, with the Universal Installer) to 6699_5464 but it's almost impossible: Every time I try I get all sorts of component errors just opening Alpha (independent of any specific Workspace). I COULD use the old installers to downgrade but I also don't want to run into any issues down the road.

I realize this can be an almost impossible problem to diagnose, mainly because it doesn't happen in a "clean" environment, but I'm hoping someone has run into it before and found the solution.

Thanks all in advance for any assistance.

Norman

Somehow I seem to have narrowed it down to a sub-theme tweak, with the following json object
    Code:
    {
    "spinList": {
    "sideBySide": {
    "className": "iOS7SpinList",
    "item": {
    "className": "iOS7SpinListItem"
    },
    "disabledClassName": "",
    "groupClassName": "iOS7SpinListGroup"
    }
    }
    }
    V 7295_5548 doesn't like it when I try to preview it, throws up the above error dialog. I can't figure out what's wrong, although maybe there's something more insidious going on as the dialog references "line 46" and this object doesn't have 46 lines. I just don't like giving up (which doesn't really apply to my golf game as I've reconciled myself to my inability to solve THAT).

Comment

What I do when trying to figure out an issue like this is create a new UX, using the same style. Put in a text box and preview it. This of course should work fine with no errors. Next I recreate the panelcards and panel layouts/navigators, etc and make sure the layout works as expected, then I copy some (not all) of the controls. test until it breaks OR I start removing controls until it works starting with any of the more complex controls such as lists or viewboxs - again testing to see which control is part of, or responsible for the issue. Dev tools in chrome can sometimes help you locate the control with the issue
      NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

I agree with Charles. Create a new component and start adding things until it breaks. Sometimes you'll just kill your productivity trying to find an error in a complex component.

Comment

Well yes, thank you both, I DO kill a lot of time but I think what I've done "boils down" to what you suggest; i.e. try to find what "breaks" the component. And, as I say, it's that sub-theme. If I remove it (and do nothing else to the component) then 7295_5548 doesn't complain. If I add it back in (and apply it to the spin list group) then I get that error. In theory I suppose there COULD be something else which occurs jointly with the sub-theme tweak, but as a practical matter that sub-theme is what's doing it.

Now if I wanted to see if it's actually a bug, then I agree: I would start with a clean UX, create a FormView with a spin-list editor and then apply the sub-theme. Since this is for a client and time is of the essence, I just use the 6699_5464 version. As a matter of fact, I'm in the middle of debugging why my component immediately upon invoking Working Preview tries to find a text editor in an Editor Set. But I digress.

Again, I appreciate the posts.

Comment

As a followup, I'm still keeping a bunch of applications on 6699 because they are stable. No need to upset the apple cart unless I need to.

Comment

Myself as well, I find the latest build causes all sorts of errors in my grids (my definition of "causes"). I can't afford to fool around with it when modifying an application on which my client relies.

Comment

I think 6699 (May 19 2020) is a good idea for now as it works for you, unfortunately I moved to official release 7382 as released on 06 JAN 2021 - I can't begin to describe the issues I've had since that day, they are just to numerous to list or ever report as as always the deal is 'send a test case'. Worth noting there has night been a nightly build for a month now to the day, this scary as we know there are always issues will new official releases followed up by a scurry of fixes in nightly builds, anyhow on the current build I stay as going backwards after making substantial development never ends well. Here just a few, the new cards control is incomplete and appears (getting the name of the control advised not yet available) untested as crashing your server is as simple as looping through cards, then after looping through the final card then loop forward it's all over, the edit to the javascript to the control mostly don't stick, this is also evident more in the Viewbox control e.g. cut and paste etc do not dirty the editor, I've noticed when I save a UX, publish it view it in the browser, use it - how ever when it is reopened it's an older version of the UX, none of these things need a test case they just need testing. Also note the added controls in the new official release are not compatible with pre-existing controls in a UX. If I persit I can get doe what I design, but it is taking a long time to get there.Fortunately I am working on a new control for a client and it is not yet in production - could have been a disaster if it were live.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Pete what your saying is something I have been experiencing too. I have edited - saved & published a UX only to find in the developer that the UX is NOT what I had saved when I opened it to make further edits. I have also had my AA server on port 443 ( I have two instances running) crash and when you try to connect you cannot. I go into my server - see the instance up and running fine. I then restart it and users can connect again. So the end result is I have users saying the site is down. I check the AA server and it's running with no issue - so I restart it and then magically its running again and users can connect. this is the first time I have seen an issue like this.
                  NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Yes, this has been my general experience with anything beyond 6699_5464. It's a pointless exercise to figure out who's "to blame". I've got my hands full right now with developing and modifying code as it is, I prefer to "reduce the number of variables" involved.

Comment

Well glad to hear it from you - I was begging to think I was going crazy. Today I created a new UX with two empty vb controls this is what happened.

2021-01-08_16-28-28.png2021-01-08_16-31-59.png
                      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                      Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                      US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Working...
                      X