Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Web NEWBIE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web NEWBIE

So I am working on "converting" our existing Desktop database to Web-based by recreating everything and trying to achieve similar functionality. Teaching myself as I go along, and scouring the forums for advice where needed.

This may be a dumb question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere (or at least I don't speak the language of web apps well enough to know what I'm searching for)

Current set up:
    Converted my DBF tables to SQL tables. Setting up a grid with detail view to use as the editing form for our contacts database.

Desired behavior:
    Would like to be able to open another form (UX?) from a particular record to modify data on a connected table (the equivalent of a one-to-one set in Desktop) and not sure how to ensure it is linked to the same record.

Used the SQL statement to emulate the set structure we used in desktop:

SELECT
    FROM records records
    LEFT OUTER JOIN volunteer volunteer
    ON records.ID_NUMBER = volunteer.RECORD_ID

Tried creating a new grid that lets me include the needed fields from both tables, but it'd be great to be able to click directly to the new form(ux?) and it be already queried to the same record.

I am not sure that is making any sense. Some guidance of a direction would be much appreciated.

Your courage to convert everything is admirable.
    I can help, but my abilities vary depending on which sql you use.
    With that said, I think I do a lot of what you're wanting to do.
    The image attached is a simple grid to keep of our vehicle assignments.
    A dispatch simply clicks on UnAssigned on the far left, which brings up a UX to choose the driver,
    which then records the information , including the time and ip address it was done at to the appropriate tables.
    To un-assign the driver from the vehicle, the dispatcher clicks on the driver number, and is presented a UX to
    confirm the information.
    Let me know if my thinking is right.

On a side note, assigning an alias to the table is not required, but often done for usability and to make the code easier to read.
    You are allowed to do something like the code shown below, although hopefully you will be a bit more selective about the columns
    you select.

Gregg
    Code:
    select d.*, v.*
    from records d
    left join  volunteer v on v.userid = d.whodoneit
    2021-02-18_18-30-18.png
    Attached Files
    Gregg
    https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

A word of advice, ditch grids. Start your web journey by learning lists, or if you are a bit more confident with some programming viewboxes

Comment

Another word of advice (and remember free advice is sometimes worth what it costs you, but in this case, it will be worth much more).
        Join IADN ( https://iadn.com/ )and listen in on the Friday webinars.
        You will be glad you did.

Jay
        Jay Talbott
        Lexington, KY

Comment

What would be your recommendation on handling sets? We used quite a few in our desktop application, and thus far trying to recreate that functionality in SQL terms has been the most confounding. I keep seeing people mention "Views" and SQL Joins, and I have dabbled with this, but I am not get the desired outcome.

Comment

My opinion is that SQL handles the functionality of sets much easier and faster.
            As I thought about, I didn't give much of an answer.

A set is the combination of 2 or more tables that have some kind of relationship (Customers of salespeople, orders placed by customers, supervisors of employees). where you use/display the data based on your requirements. SQL views do this very well. The code you initially showed is basically as a set.
            Last edited by madtowng; 02-19-2021, 11:32 AM.
            Gregg

Comment

Let's say I have a one-to-many set in Desktop.

Donor->Contributions

One particular donor can have many contributions. In Desktop, I had a one-to many set. What do I do in web? (Keep it basic for me, I am still new to this)

Comment

I can do this, but can you supply some sample data. It would make it much easier for me to create an example that hopefully makes sense to you.
                Gregg

Comment

I second the ditching of grids and converting to lists.
                  I also second the joining of IADN.
                  If you need some help with creating lists, detail views, and search options. I can offer a little time this weekend to quickly get you going.

Comment

Hi Russell,
                    I haven't been pushing the list or viewbox control because (at least in my opinion) they take longer to create and are not as easy
                    to create the functionality of a grid.

I will admit this is partially due to several failed attempts to produce a list in under 5 minutes that displays my data and gives me basic
                    search functionality.

If your offer for help with lists is open to participants here, I can certainly use some of that myself.

Thanks for reading.

Gregg
                    Gregg

Comment

madtowng,
                      I can certainly help you with setting up a basic list. Do you have Skype or Zoom?

You can email me at [email protected] if you'd prefer.

Comment

I am lucky because I was late to the Alpha party, and came in during the "Lists are good, Grids are bad" movement, and also the "Don't use TabbedUI's, use UXs and PanelCards". Now I am familiar with TabbedUI now, but agree they are not ideal.

Comment

I'm not new to alpha, but I'm new to lists and to sql. I second Jay's advice, to join IADN and attend the Friday webinars, and I also recommend an online sql course. I used udemy, but i look at w3 schools frequently. IADN has videos of the Friday webinars, that are helpful, as are swylens (sp) videos, which are in the alpha help system. It's a journey. Good luck.

Comment

I actually joined earlier this week and already the webinar videos have been extremely helpful!

Comment

No bs, down and dirty sql youtube videos...(My favorite)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWyy...F1U90Ee1Ecb5tt

Comment

Working...
                              X