Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

a5w page blows up when I try to open it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a5w page blows up when I try to open it

I have an a5w page which is basically a lot of script. The script is tasked with opening an XML file and then importing the data into a bunch of SQL tables.

But when I got to open it, A5 blows up.

This has happened twice before to the same script.

If I open up the file in a text editor, copy the text and put it into a new a5w page, it will work fine. I can save it and reopen it.

But if I then go away from the code for a few days, when I try to reopen the a5w page it all starts again.

I try to open it to edit it or even just too look at the code and blam - I get blown out of Alpha.

Create new a5w page, copy code, repeat.

Any idea what might be going on?

The page is an import page. I am using the function get_from_file to pull in an XML file and then *property_from_xml

This is the only script where I am doing that, so I'm kind of concerned that the "property from xml" might be the issue.

Re: a5w page blows up when I try to open it

Sounds like a bug. Try sending this to Alpha's bug email along with a working and non-working a5w page file: [email protected]
    Mike Brown - Contact Me
    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
    Programmatic-Technologies.com
    Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

it is possible that it might be a bug, but i actually think it unlikely that it is a bug in alpha and more likely an issue in your custom xbasic that is parsing your xml file.

you should put a debug(1) in your xbasic code and then run the page in the html editor - live preview pane -- so that you can debug into your code and see which xbasic line is causing a problem.

if you can't debug into the code, then put debugging code into your xbasic script that keeps track of each line of xbasic that code executed.

for example you can add code to your xbasic that follows this pattern

save_to_file("step x just executed" + crlf(),"c:\debug\debug.txt",.t.)

you would need to create a folder on your server called c:\debug

then after the first line in your script you would add

save_to_file("step 1 just executed" + crlf(),"c:\debug\debug.txt",.t.)

after the second line you would add

save_to_file("step 2 just executed" + crlf(),"c:\debug\debug.txt",.t.)

etc.

your debug.txt file will then give you some idea of where your xbasic code is failing.

Comment

Originally posted by lgrupido View Post
        I have an a5w page which is basically a lot of script. The script is tasked with opening an XML file and then importing the data into a bunch of SQL tables.

But when I got to open it, A5 blows up.
        When you open the new A5W page, are you clicking the <%5 Insert Xbasic button and inserting your code into there?

Comment

Selwyn,

The problem is that the code runs perfectly. I can run it all day and never have an error.

Then I let it sit a bit, try to open the page in Alpha and BLAM. I can't open it any longer.

And since I can't open it, I can't debug it.

I'm totally willing to admit that there could be something wrong in the code - but it doesn't turn up while I'm actually executing it.

I sent you the script, I could send you the XML file and the tables it uses if you need me to!

I do have a theory that it might be related to upgrading Alpha, but I'm not 100% sure.

It's possible that the times I tried to open it when it blew up were after I had upgraded alpha to a new version. But even in a case like that, I would hope Alpha could deal with it more gracefully than that. That is just a theory that I won't be able to test properly until the next version comes out.

Comment

I have a page like that too. Runs fine, but when I try to edit it in A5 throws Windows an error that it's no longer working --- all I can do is close A5 and start again. Then, I needed to edit it a while ago. So Larry, you can right-click on the page and choose "Open With" Notepad. I've done this a bunch of times with this page, published it, it works fine. But still can't edit. I haven't taken the time yet to start chopping out pieces of code until it stops crashing like that. And until I get into it I can't say that it's not my problem -- just haven't yet but the description fits my problem.

Like Larry's page, this is mostly A5 code -- in this case it's a key part of my integration with another web service and another A5 component.
            -Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Yes, that is exactly what I do, open it with notepad, create a new a5w page, and copy the code from one to the other.

I end up with the exact same code in both places, only one blows me out of Alpha and the other doesn't.

I haven't gone as far as actually editing it in notepad but I can see how that would work.

Are you using *property_from_xml in your page by any chance?

Comment

Are you using *property_from_xml in your page by any chance?
                No
                -Steve
                sigpic

Comment

I sent three files to Alpha as a bug report. One currently does not blow up when I open it, the other two do. After I sent those, Selwyn replied to this thread, but I don't know if he's following it.

If I get a resolution, I'll let you know, otherwise, it's not that hard to deal with, just kind of a pita.

I also considered moving some of the code into an xbasic function, so it won't all be encapsulated in an a5w page, but I've had other priorities ...

Comment

Working...
                  X