Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

V10 App server to AA app server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V10 App server to AA app server

Is it possible to just upgrade the application server from the older version to the newer with out any interruption in service? Or do I need to create a new server complete then migrate all the apps over and rename all the url links as well as the pointers in the SQL server?

Re: V10 App server to AA app server

In theory you should just be able to install the new server then publish everything again and go. In practice, you probably shouldn't do that. There have been a lot of changes over that period of time, and you should test each app in the new environment before releasing it to your users. While I've had relatively smooth upgrades for almost everything over the years, the testing is strongly advised.

One of the big stumbling blocks is that in V10 many of us set and used session variables of different types. Now, session variables MUST be character-type. Anything else can or will lead to unpredictable behavior. For more, you should review this:

http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/Server+Enhancements+V11

While this pertains to version 11, it also, of course, pertains to version 12, or AA.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Steve,
      Thank you for that link, I already started on the session variables was just hoping for a painless upgrade but we press on

Comment

I made changes to the application following the information listed on the link I am able to open the applications Login page but it does not let me login past the login page

Comment

Details, screenshots, error messages, log results, clues, more information...
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

I converted a bunch of the not used pieces from V10 as directed to from the links to the V11 changes. After making the changes When published the the login screen would come up but It is not redirecting to the home page. The home page is set up with any number of links to different applications based on what is given to the individual user the links as well as the users logins are stored on a SQL Data Base. My problem is I am not getting the userid from the SQL database or at least that it was it seems like. I get redirect back to the login after entering my user information. The access log show the system calling for login page first -> Homepage -> login page I attach the Access and error Logs (Would have posted yesterday but DBA was not in to get to them) I attached the logs and the code for the login and the home page I know I am missing something simple so I appreciate the extra Eyes
            One last piece both pages open fine in live preview the login states "Web security: Security is not active" not sure if that is from live preview or not but in the web security area security is on and the pages have the rights as follows Login is always, home is needs login
            thank you
            Attached Files

Comment

OK, a couple things and we will see if it gets somewhere. You cannot test security in Live Preview so always publish to local host or a remote server to test the full system. Next, your code looks fine on the login page but you don't need the redirect code around line 46 on the Home page. If you have properly set the home page security to require login, it will automatically go back to the login page if they are not logged in. Lastly there is an odd error code in the error log I don't recognise, maybe someone else here does "AcceptResult.Code 16003 AcceptResult.Text: WSAENOTSOCK - Socket operation on nonsocket while accept. - - Detailed Description: - An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket. - Either the socket handle parameter did not reference a valid socket, or for select, - a member of an fd_set was not valid. ".
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve I found another post where you talked about a GUID error someone else had and how the two versions 10 and 12 set the external identifier differently so I went into my application and erased the current GUID from the server and then republished after that I was able to log in.. Not sure why erasing the file then publishing makes a difference I figured it would be copied over in an all file publish but I guess not.

Comment

I don't know if this applies but fact is that the Publishing Profile generates the GUID file (starting with v10.5) AND the GUID value must be unique for a given app. If you are running two or more apps with the same guid value on the same machine, then only one of them is going to behave properly in terms of security, even if you closed all but one after ope ing them. If you copied a project and plan to run both, you have to destroy then recreate your profile to ensure it generates a unique guid.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Is there a resource other then the wiki or the document finder in V12 that explains the a5w functions
                    my app uses on that I have been unable to locate and I am sure it is where my code is losing the the session variable by losing I mean the following error message:
                    (Bad Request: D:\Alpha 5\A5Webroot\nnh\pag_New_Hire.a5w) Unsafe Session variable syntax. Session variables cannot be created or assigned from either the Query String or POST body.
                    The code in question is : a5w_resolveVariablesInOverrideSettings(tmpl_GRD_NEWHIRE,session,local_variables())

I believe it references this code:
                    dim sel as c = "Select * from Users Where UserName = '" + Request.Variables.Session.userid + "'"
                    that is a query assigning a session variable
                    Last edited by jcurtacci; 06-17-2015, 10:09 AM.

Comment

"Request.Variables.Session.userid" does not make any sense and also is not the source of your error. You must be appending something like "pag_New_Hire.a5w?session.userid=1234". That is illegal as of Alpha v10.5, you cannot put session vars in the URL.

You can set session.userid="something" elsewhere in your application so it exists and is populated, and then call pag_New_Hire.a5w. Then on that page you can get the contents of the session var with just

vuserid = session.userid
                      dim sel as c = "Select * from Users Where UserName = '" + vuserid + "'"
                      or
                      dim sel as c = "Select * from Users Where UserName = '{vuserid}'
                      sel = evaluate_string(sel)
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                      X