Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Server hosting and performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Server hosting and performance

Hi there

I was wondering what sort of performance people are getting on servers and what sort of cost for hosting. If you host for about 20 concurrent users what would be your typical cost and would performance be acceptable?
    Is anyone happy to assist on consulting rate with setup (sql server. alpha anywhere. and android setup)?
    I have been out of alpha for a while.

thanks

Couple things first: What version of Alpha are you working with currently? ...and is your app using the standard app server or IIS? Is this a web app, mobile, both?

That said, I have had a lot of success with Amazon's AWS platform. It's rock solid and their support, for me anyways, has been second to none. There are other developers on here using other hosting vendors, Google, Zebra Host, and then of course there is Alpha Cloud.
    Mike Brown - Contact Me
    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
    Programmatic-Technologies.com
    Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

I use a VPS provider "CONTABO",
      I use the application server, not IIS.
      it hosts a multi-tenant application, mainly mobile.
      There is not huge traffic to the server, but around 80 mobile device hits the server when they save a record (not simultaneously).
      From the beginning of the month till now, around 3500 records were added to the main table.

Ther performance is acceptable, but at least once a week the WAS will freeze and I have to manually restart it.
      the VPS I rent is 10 core, and 50gb ram with SSD
      I have on the same machine MS SQL server (express edition)

Comment

We host our own IIS server and with about 100 Alpha users, there are no major issues with Alpha performance. I can get server ping replies anywhere from <50ms to over 300ms depending on times.
        Our biggest bottleneck seems to be the overall internal network traffic (non-Alpha users) which sees 1,000's of users and sometimes makes things slow around peak times (lunch hour and shift changes).
        Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Originally posted by iRadiate View Post
          We host our own IIS server and with about 100 Alpha users, there are no major issues with Alpha performance. I can get server ping replies anywhere from <50ms to over 300ms depending on times.
          Our biggest bottleneck seems to be the overall internal network traffic (non-Alpha users) which sees 1,000's of users and sometimes makes things slow around peak times (lunch hour and shift changes).
          May I ask what the specs of the server you use are and do you have 2 application servers or just one?
          thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Shuttleworth View Post

May I ask what the specs of the server you use are and do you have 2 application servers or just one?
            thank you!
            The physical server is HP Synergy 480 Gen 10 with 16-core 2.30 GHz CPU and 512 GB RAM
            Windows Server 2019 Std x64
            Running Microsoft Hyper-V Manager 10.0

The Virtual server is allocated 8-core 2.30 GHz CPU and 32GB RAM
            Running Windows server 2019 Std x64

We are just running one virtual IIS application server.
            Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Originally posted by iRadiate View Post

The physical server is HP Synergy 480 Gen 10 with 16-core 2.30 GHz CPU and 512 GB RAM
              Windows Server 2019 Std x64
              Running Microsoft Hyper-V Manager 10.0

The Virtual server is allocated 8-core 2.30 GHz CPU and 32GB RAM
              Running Windows server 2019 Std x64

We are just running one virtual IIS application server.
              thank you

Comment

AWS maybe 'rock solid" but very expensive.
                Just setting up cost us $457 in 5 days before even one app was loaded. Based on their charges, we estimated it would cost us $3000 - $6000pm, too much for a start-up NFP NGO.
                Now looking to go back to Build 5581, and find someone to work with us in opening up in the USA. Our methodologies are patented and very useful - will change the way people will find, buy and sell food. We are in Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by ctmacquet View Post
                  AWS maybe 'rock solid" but very expensive.
                  Pricing depends on configuration. I have several clients on AWS: SQL Web, Load Balancer, etc for under $1000 a month. These clients of mine service hundreds of individual users a piece. Reserved instances are even cheaper. Using MySQL instead of MS SQL even cheaper. AWS can be expensive if it's over configured for an apps needs.

Mike Brown - Contact Me
                  Programmatic Technologies, LLC
                  Programmatic-Technologies.com
                  Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

We have a pretty large setup.....over 5,000 registered users and a public facing website that does not require login. The site is mobile friendly but we do not have an app.

Our biggest challenge is event registrations that require about 40,000 entries per year, each with their own deadline. Because of user's tendency to wait until the last second, we often see concurrent user counts of around 400 to 500 registered users with registration processes that require multiple trips to the server. Design is critical to keep things humming along.

In order to accomplish this we have 16 instances of the site (Classic Server) with a load balancer....hosted by Zebrahost. We have used them for about 12 years with an annual cost of the front end and back end for under 10k per year since we pay a year at a time for a discount. Clive has been very gracious with the price because we are a non-profit and have used them for over a decade. My guess is this pricing would be hard for a new customer to acquire, but maybe not? With this setup there are additional costs with the WAS license with Alpha due to the # of cores (16).

During the COVID lockdown we pivoted to virtual performance festivals where performance videos were uploaded to s3 (about 7 TBs of video data) and they were streamed by the judges so that the performance could be evaluated. Rather unusual process for Alpha but it worked incredibly well. I chose to use view boxes for that process to keep things light. That would be something to consider in your app design if you need to scale. We certainly use list controls but sometimes it is essential to consider other options if the traffic will be heavy

So it is possible to scale pretty well with Alpha with a combination of design and server setup. I have not tried AWS for hosting since I have been happy with the service and pricing with Zebrahost. I know the IIS server would provide some benefit but for us, this setup works perfectly at a reasonable price point so I don't see a need to change.

Comment

Agree with gregcolombus about Clive / Zebrahost. As a NFP NGO we were with them of 3-4 years pre-COVID when every shut down in Australia, so we did.
                      Now, Zebra won't have us back, even at triple the price of 2019, as it appears they are down-scaling their ops from about 15 AA servers around the world to 2., so no space for us, I guess.

Anyone using AlphaToGo Framework on AA in the Cloud? Seems to be a clash between ATG's Security setup and AA Cloud. Is this because of IIS? any opinions?

Comment

The other thing about AWS which was extremely frustrating : You cannot speak to / email anyone, except their Technical Support Chatline.
                        They have no CRM, but I guess that means just the opposite of what it was 20-30 years ago, perhaps Customer Restriction Management?

Anyway, I had a brilliant idea in the bath last night, where data storage / hosting is only going to cost me $3.28 pm, as opposed to the $3-6000 pm with AWS. Will let you know if it works, But only if you are a struggling NFP NGO, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by ctmacquet View Post
                          Agree with gregcolombus about Clive / Zebrahost. As a NFP NGO we were with them of 3-4 years pre-COVID when every shut down in Australia, so we did.
                          Now, Zebra won't have us back, even at triple the price of 2019, as it appears they are down-scaling their ops from about 15 AA servers around the world to 2., so no space for us, I guess.

Anyone using AlphaToGo Framework on AA in the Cloud? Seems to be a clash between ATG's Security setup and AA Cloud. Is this because of IIS? any opinions?
                          I am sorry that we could not help with your project. As I said in the other thread where you relayed false information - everyone has different needs, budgets and requirements.

We are absolutely not "down-scaling" - in fact we have increased our infrastructure in Des Moines and Kansas City and also added infrastructure in Ede, Netherlands.

Comment

What false info are you talking about?

Comment

Working...
                            X