Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Windev 20 vs alpha v12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windev 20 vs alpha v12

� Code sharing /desktop/web / mobile
    Available in Alpha Anywhere

� HFSQL database engine for /desktop /web / mobile
    � HFSQL control center
    � HFSQL database management tool /analysis
    � Native accesses to many databases
    HFSQL is a proprietary system (would you really want that?) , Alpha integrates with industry standard database systems

� Offline applications building

� SAAS
    � IIS
    Available in Alpha Anywhere (IIS to be released real soon now

� Multi-lingual application development

� Apple Watch
    Available "in" Alpha Anywhere see http://www.alphasoftware.com/blog/fi...ha-watchbench/

There's more stuff you are referring to that is also available in Alpha Anywhere, I just picked a few.

Linux applications for sure is not but the whole world is going mobile & web; if you find yourself in some niche then maybe yes that could be interesting

They have a very loyal customer base in europe but as pointed out earlier by Kotin; bonne chance si vous ne parlez pas fran�ais. Je vous conseille de d'abord evaluer Alpha Anywhere � fond; vous allez �tre surpris.

Cordialement,
    Frank
    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

One thing that has had surprisingly little attention is Alpha Anywheres ability to run server side javascript.
      This is just amazing feature. This feature makes also possible to run javascript directly in web page template.

Little Example template

Code:
      <!doctype html>
      <html lang="en">
       <head>
        <meta charset="UTF-8">
        <title>Little Example</title>
       [B] <%= new Date() %>[/B]
       </head>
       <body>
       <h1>My Little Example Template</h1>
       </body>
      </html>

In bold above is pure javascript function inside <% %> tags that renderes date when page is loaded.( Note that no library is loaded ).

This is possible because Alpha Anywhere has integrated Nodejs. What is interesting is that above page is rendered in Nodejs server not in Alpha Anywhere server so if you are running AA server in port 80 you can for example make above page available at port 3000 ( or any other port).

This opens endless possibility's to developers point of view.

Here is example to get started.

1. Find in Alphas install directory node_services directory and put this file expressown.js to it.

Code:
      exports.handler = function(packet,response,sendResponse) {

var express = require('express');
      	var path = require('path');
      	var app = express();
      	app.set('view engine', 'ejs');
      	app.set('views', path.join(__dirname, 'views'));
      	// Start the app

app.get('/', function(req, res) {
      	res.render('index');
      	});

app.listen(3000, function() {
      	console.log('Express app started on port 3000');
      	});

response.result = 'Server is running on port 3000'
      		sendResponse(response);
      };
      2. Make new folder in node_services folder and name it as views and put in it the little example template and name it index.ejs

3. Make normally in your Developer dateejs.a5w page and put inside:

Code:
      <%a5 
      dim n as Helper::V8
      dim p as p
      p._id = api_uuidcreate()
      p._command = "expressown"
      dim jsoncmd as c
      jsoncmd = json_generate(p)
      ? n.NodeRequest(jsoncmd)
      ? p._command
      %>
      4. Publish dateejs.a5w and open it in browser and then open new tab and go to http://localhost:3000 and you see the little example template rendered. Note this is Nodejs server not Alpha server running.

This is just little example. Developers heaven is in javascript and it is available in Alpha Anywhere.

Note: expressown.js is running in server and user will never see the code in client side so you can protect your own code.
      Last edited by kkfin; 06-19-2015, 05:44 AM. Reason: Note

Comment

Originally posted by Ferenju View Post
        Frank,
        These are some of my pick's from documentation that are found here http://www.windev.com/pcsoft/documentations.html .
        You will find things that alpha doesn't give you out of the box, or extra charge, check-it-out!

• Code sharing /desktop/web / mobile
        • HFSQL database engine for /desktop /web / mobile
        • HFSQL control center
        • HFSQL database management tool /analysis
        • Native accesses to many databases
        • Offline applications building
        • Pvt” cube control
        • Sunburst chart
        • Video conference” control – automatic
        • Spreadsheet control
        • SAAS
        • IIS
        • LDAP
        • Develop Linux applications
        • Project document generator
        • Project Code comparison
        • PHP development / generator
        • Table control ZOOM
        • Automatic Application generator
        • EXE generator, 32-bit and 64-bit.
        • Installations without UAC
        • Touch ID technology
        • Android Wear
        • Apple Watch
        • Google Glass
        • Dashboard control
        • Project monitoring center
        • Source code management
        • Multiple developers’ management
        • Multi-lingual application development
        • more....
        Ferenju,

Have you actually developed with any of these components/features?
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter,
          I never used Windev, webdev or windev -mobile. I develop applications using multiple tools and programing languages to build what i am looking for. I have a list of developer tools to watch for and Windev is one of them.
          {

Comment

Here is my problem with Alpha.

The best information I can get is that Alpha web side slows down at 10 concurrent users and grinds to a halt at 30. You may get more users if you use some supper high end server that cost an arm and a leg each month.

I have never been able to get a straight answer on this, not even from Alpha but if you need to pop for a WAS every 10 users plus additional server cost then I will never see how Alpha can be a viable solution.

For me to move on using Alpha for anything but desktop it would need to handle at least 200 concurrent users per WAS on a standard run of the mill server.

As for Windev, I tried it a year or so back and hated it. Never could get anything to work right. Even following a tutorial exactly I would get errors in french that made no sense. I also did not like the developers console. As for the databases it uses, as far as I can remember it can use them all just as Alpha does but they also include the HFSQL Engine which I believe makes it easier to deploy desktop applications without requiring the end user to install a SQL server or the like.

Comment

There are few things that in my opinion are bottlenecks in Alphas performance.

I think the major problem is the design pattern in Alpha and the server.

I am personally not using any components in my development. Put I have tested them. I did a most simple UX-component two columns of data five static records loaded from json and a button that echoes selected row in two text box. The result in browser is 1209 lines of html and inline javascript(so no catching) + external js library. I have read from this forum that it is normally to have hundred components in ready application.
              I did same functionality with Angularjs and it was less than 50 lines of code + external js.

Also the built in security makes everything again slower so I do not use it anymore. The problem is that also the directory security goes in hand with built in security so this makes all much more difficult.

Also the current design pattern loves to redirect. This is not good design patter from the point of view server performance.

One problem is also ugly urls but again for example with angularjs you can use hashbang urls with Alpha. This makes you also forget redirecting(from server) totally which has big influence to performance. But you can not use hashbang urls if you use built in security.

Selwyn in last roadmap did bring up the possibility to run server side javascript in Alpha Anywhere. But the reaction from developers was just the concern of xbasic. Can we still use it! Now they are happy that they can use it. Same time they are not satisfied to the performance?

As I explained in post #17 you can already in Alpha run separate server (nodejs + expressjs) and serve data from it to the end user and it has 1000 times better performance.
              So why we still want to use xbasic?

Comment

As I explained in post #17 you can already in Alpha run separate server (nodejs + expressjs) and serve data from it to the end user and it has 1000 times better performance.
                So why we still want to use xbasic?
                - ken

you are still in alpha. to get the free nodeJs and express why anyone need to spend all the money in version 12 alpha, you can serve (broadcast) the data via JSON and get the data in angularJS with $http calls and make it look nice with css and deploy anywhere literally anywhere not in specialized hosting service,
                For me to move on using Alpha for anything but desktop it would need to handle at least 200 concurrent users per WAS on a standard run of the mill server.
                -preston
                this calls will not load up the server and i am sure you can have as many concurrent users you want and not even bother with version 12 for mobile presence and will run on run of the mill server in any hosting company and you can run the alpha server in your den or garage.

i am rewriting my jQuery codes in angularJS, looks like lots of fun.
                thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                mysql backend
                http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                [email protected]
                1 914 924 5171

Comment

Originally posted by GGandhi View Post
                  -
                  -preston
                  this calls will not load up the server and i am sure you can have as many concurrent users you want and not even bother with version 12 for mobile presence and will run on run of the mill server in any hosting company and you can run the alpha server in your den or garage.

i am rewriting my jQuery codes in angularJS, looks like lots of fun.
                  So are you saying to not use version 12 at all or use it for web except for mobile devices?

Right now I am learning InDe as their full featured developer is free to use for development. I can then buy it when I am ready to deploy. Plus side is there is no WAS and your apps can run on a Windows server or Linux server.

Comment

you can do with angularJS or jQuery to present the data and alpha to broadcast the data via JSON and you do not need version 12 for mobile presence. i have jQuery working well for me with version 11. i am playing with angularJS and it seems lot useful and you don't need WAS to serve the pages just the data for $http calls in JSON format. (in jQuery i use JSONP, soon i will be using JSONP for angular once i iron out some growing pains) and you can host your jQuery or angularJS in any run of the mill host service provider.
                    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                    mysql backend
                    [email protected]
                    1 914 924 5171

Comment

Ferenju, my point is that a list of great features is one thing. How it all works in development and the real world is another. What Preston says about WinDev echos what others have told me. Looks good from the outside, not so much from the inside.

Preston, as you know, InDe is $$$ these days. I worked with it for a month. Went through the tutorial, began to learn how to apply (code) security. InDe is an interesting product, but not at all intuitive. I felt the learning curve was too steep given all the Alpha work I have to support.

Ken, I'm really curious how, or even why, you use Alpha? You don't use components, you don't use security, you don't use xbasic. So what part of Alpha do you use?
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Talk of lacklustre performance is very worrying indeed for the like of me who doesn't know how to pipe up an infrastructure with other solution offerings. Is my worry misplaced? My usage scenario will be up to 500 users at a time, not doing a lot of heavy lifting work like reports but just accessing data they filtered to see. Should I still invest more time in AA in the building of the app? Solutions offering explicit concurrent user counts are way expensive, thought the 'unlimited' nature of AA license was more like the sol, but if there is this virtual limitation regardless, then I need to be aware of as early as possible.

For those who are using other solutions alongside AA, please share the how's so we can also make some headway in understanding it.
                        Regards,

Kotin Karwak
                        Developer Edition
                        Version 12.3 Build 2684
                        System Addins: Build 4438
                        Build machine Windows Vista

Comment

@ Gandhi So why use Alpha at all?

Comment

@ Gandhi So why use Alpha at all?
                            it is up to you, and I don't know how to answer that question.
                            if you have web with alpha or desktop with alpha and want to have mobile then just use alpha to broadcast the data and jQuery or angularJs to use it in mobile area.
                            not much to learn as in inde developer. and not much to pay as in version 12 of alpha.

also you need something to serve up the data and process the data like php or asp or alpha right?
                            Last edited by GGandhi; 06-21-2015, 12:08 PM.
                            thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                            mysql backend
                            [email protected]
                            1 914 924 5171

Comment

Originally posted by kotinkarwak View Post
                              Talk of lacklustre performance is very worrying indeed for the like of me who doesn't know how to pipe up an infrastructure with other solution offerings. Is my worry misplaced? My usage scenario will be up to 500 users at a time, not doing a lot of heavy lifting work like reports but just accessing data they filtered to see. Should I still invest more time in AA in the building of the app? Solutions offering explicit concurrent user counts are way expensive, thought the 'unlimited' nature of AA license was more like the sol, but if there is this virtual limitation regardless, then I need to be aware of as early as possible.

For those who are using other solutions alongside AA, please share the how's so we can also make some headway in understanding it.
                              Each webapp with 500 concurrent you need a BIG FAST machine no matter what script language your using.
                              There is the option to run multiple instance or wait for the IIS plugin

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
                                Also the built in security makes everything again slower so I do not use it anymore. The problem is that also the directory security goes in hand with built in security so this makes all much more difficult.
                                If you can provide an example of the security causing a slowdown, we would certainly like to see it. While every request goes through the security check, extensive testing has shown the security check takes between 7 and 11 milliseconds, while some could actually be less.

Comment

Working...
                                X