Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

UX Components - Fix Duplicate GUIDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UX Components - Fix Duplicate GUIDS

In recent nightly build notes you will see this:
    UX Components - Fix Duplicate GUIDS - Each component has a unique GUID. This GUID is assigned when a new component is created. The GUID is used to keep track of the component's backups. A new menu option (select Edit, Bulk operationswhen the Web Control Panelhas focus) allows you to find components with duplicate GUIDS. To change a component's GUID, edit the component and then click the More... button and select the menu option to change the GUID.

NOTE One way in which duplicate GUIDS can occur is if you use Windows Explorer to duplicate an existing component.
    Apparently it is possible to have two or more different UXs that have the same GUID. This has serious implications.
    It is not clear what causes this. I have never duplicated a component using Windows Explorer. I have used the duplicate action within Alpha to create new components.

I installed the development version of the nightly build and ran the test. I recommend everyone does this. And until you run the test, do not restore a backup of any UX.
    If it finds no duplicates, you are in the clear.
    If it finds duplicates, you can fix them, but it can be tricky.

I found that I have 9 groups of duplicates involving 24 components! One group contains 5 UXs that have the same guid.
    I found that the original files remain unaffected by this, but while every time you save a component it is probably creating a backup file, the restore function does not see the backup file.

The bad part is that if you restore a backup version of a UX, it may actually restore a different UX, and you would not know it.

Disclaimer: this is my experience and what I did. Your situation may not be the same. Proceed at your own risk.

For example, I have UX_1 and UX_2 that have identical guids.
    Both show the same list of backup backup files, but the list only belongs to one UX. But which one?
    Assume the list belongs to UX_2.
    Now restore a backup of UX_1.
    What I found is that UX_1 remains unaffected, and a backup of UX_2 is restored.
    And unless you actually know they have the same guid, you have no idea what happened, and would not even suspect that UX_2 had changed.

Here is what I did:
    Install the latest nightly build developer version, in a new folder.
    Run the utility to find the UXs with duplicate IDs, and copy the list to a text file or somewhere you can reference it.
    BACK UP every file in the list, just in case.

For each file in each group, ONE of them is the one that the backup files belong to.
    If you want to keep the correct backup files, you must determine which UX is the correct one.
    I put a static control on each UX that shows the correct name for that UX.
    Then I experimented by restoring a backup version for one UX.
    The UX that owns the backup files is the one where the static text control is no longer there. Apply the "fix" as described above to only the other UXs in that group.
    Of course any UX that you fix will no longer have any backups.

If you don't care about keeping the backup files for any of the UXs, just apply the fix to all UXs in the list.

After you process all groups, run the utility to find duplicates and it should return "No duplicates found".

You can now go back to the Alpha build you have been using and Test Every Component. In my case I am on build 7902.
    I have no idea about earlier builds, but as far as I know the only thing changed in the components is the GUID.

For anyone that does this, please post your experience here. I would be interested to know if you find any duplicates, or no duplicates.

I reported this many times, I discovered it in June 2021 - The first few replies were like - don't see a problem, then no replies, I can't imaging how many weeks of I work I lost and had to redo because of it. Here are some of the images I sent over the time?

Save issue 2.pngthumbnail_2021-08-25_13-17-36.pngSave issue 1.png2021-07-31_13-57-43.png Pete
    Attached Files
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

This video was posted here showing the issue and that backups were overwriting originals and sent to AA in August.

www.screencast.com/t/Cn6rnrxvQ6g
      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

Pete, I remember your original post, but I can't find it now. And the link to the video does not work.

About 10 days ago I stumbled across two UXs that had identical lists of backup files. I sent screen shots to Selwyn, and he asked me to send him the components. This is what led to the discovery that they had duplicate GUIDs.

I still don't know what causes this, or how long it has been happening, or if it is still happening. I hope Alpha is investigating.

Comment

Yep - looks like the post was taken down - so sad if true, and AA think they have to do that. - I'm thinking of throwing in the towel to be honest.
          Here's my link.

https://www.screencast.com/t/Cn6rnrxvQ6g

Pete

Comment

Just my 3 pennyworth, but I suspect GUID is only sacrosanct - well as unique as you are likely to get - in ine instance of anything.
            In the old days, we always checked for uniqueness. Perhaps excepting that GUID is not necessarily unique you need to take other measures.

Cancelling posts which help people is not the way foreward, nor cancelling videos. But maybe Pete busted his video allowance?
            See our Hybrid Option here;
            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Ted, from reading the posts, it doesn't look like the issue was even caused by Alpha's GUID function. It's when you make a copy of a component in Windows instead of using duplicate within Alpha. Then you are simply copying the file, GUID and all.

I would hope that when Alpha sees a new file copied in, that it would now think to change the GUID just to be sure.

Comment

Copying a component in Windows might cause it, but that is only one possible cause. There are causes that have not been pinned down. That is why it is important to run the utility.

Comment

I agree Larry, however the notes in post#1 suggest that using explorer is "one way" of getting duplicate GUIDS.
                  Setting the field to being Unique will test for this.
                  Joe has said he doesn't use Explorer to create backups, so using Alpha Processing for backups and restore, I would expect the tables GUID data to be unique.
                  Problem may be a design issue.
                  Joe, what does your table design/linking look like?

Comment

table design/linking? Not sure what you're asking. I use a lot of UX components and list controls, bound to MySQL tables.

Comment

Sorry, I misunderstood your use of the GUID process. I only use those for transaction processing.
                      In the toolkit I use, backups are cycled and identified by unique labels. These are visible so the correct one gets restored, and if that is an incorrect restore, the correct one can be found if it is within the backup cycle.
                      Maybe try a different backup identification method?

Comment

Working...
                      X