Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Does the number of panels impact offline mobile performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the number of panels impact offline mobile performance?

Hi,
    I have a slow-running mobile application.
    I noticed that when I remove features (panel cards) it runs faster.
    Since it is an offline builder with cordova why should It be faster? any logic behind it?
    I did a small search on the net and they say that the application size does not impact performance.
    The UX size was 11.1 MB the smaller one is 6.5mb
    the APK size was : 7.58mb the smaller one is : 7.68mb (I don't know why it is bigger; maybe because of the name of the app of info)
    Last edited by PaulAmmoun; 03-13-2022, 05:33 AM.

Offline typically has the overhead of refreshing the SQLLITE Db - or similar - on the user device.
    That's why off line is such a pita.
    If you can keep the offline data to be as small as possible, that may help.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

re 'I did a small search on the net and they say that the application size does not impact performance.
      The UX size was 11.1 MB the smaller one is 6.5mbI did a small search on the net and they say that the application size does not impact performance.
      The UX size was 11.1 MB the smaller one is 6.5mb'

I have to tell you size does matter in AA, that's a big UX, what's in it, what does it do?

Pete

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
      Albert Einstein, (attributed)
      US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Hi Pete,
        in 2 words it is used to record visits to customers.
        but there is a lot of functionality in it.
        the users can:
        1-View the route (customers that needs to be visited today)
        2-View all the customer
        3-make a direct invoice
        4-place an order
        5-give sample
        6-make receipts
        7-view the location of the customer on the map with the direction
        8-punch feedback of customers for specific products
        9-send receive messages from the office
        10-punch the customer that needs to visited in the future
        11-see previous visit history
        etc..

if I divide it in multiple UX can it still be offline?

I am on the latest official release 8000 (it worked well for me)

Thank you

Comment

Hi Paul, couple of question/comments:
          - what build are you using? I don't know how many lists you have, but I know that there was an improvement last year on build 7704 for Android. Prior to that all the lists (even on non-visiable panels) were refreshing (client-side, not server-side) when the Android keyboard was activated, and they changed it to just refresh the visible lists.
          - I found that the client-side show/hide and enable/disable was firing constantly. I moved that kind of functionality to my own javascript to call them intentinoally, but at the end of the day I probably have just as much Javascript running. Still, if you've got a lot of client-side stuff going on, it could slow things down.
          - you can split it into more than one UX and still work offline. You just have to embed the child UX and set it to Precomputed. Selwyn seems to think that performance improves with more smaller UXs than fewer large UXs. I can confirm nor deny. What you can't do is put child lists in a separate UX from the parent list if you're using that functionality. You also can't put detail views in a separate UX than a list unless you want to write the Javascript yourself that handles that.

Comment

So Paul, it looks like it does plenty, what I wanted to know was how many lists, grids, data fields etc. UX control carry quite a high xbasic count in them, especially if you are using s lot of AA javascript Actions, these are all getting processed in the DOM in the browser of the device. (The DOM (Document Object Model) is an interface that represents how your HTML and XML documents are read by the browser. It allows a language (JavaScript) to manipulate, structure, and style your website.)
            You need to be working on using as much javascript in the javascript functions area as possible, without xbasic involved in my view..
            Pete
            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

All due respect, Pete, I believe just the opposite. On a mobile app, all of the HTML and xbasic that is usually generated on the fly in a web app, is pre-packaged as an HTML file that the mobile app just has to open locally. So the only xbasic that executes is when a list is synced with the server, or a list is refreshed from the server, etc. You obviously need enough JavaScript to accomplish what needs to happen in the UI, but the execution of the JavaScript is the only thing that's happening in real time on a mobile app.

If you have any list events, I would test your assumptions on them. I find that events like onListReady fire even if I'm nowhere near that list or interacting with it. Or they fire three or four times instead of the one time you expect. So you can quickly start running way more JavaScript code than you think you are.

I know Pete is an advocate of the view box, and I haven't used it much but those are far lighter weight on the xbasic and JavaScript side then list controls. So if you don't need editable, persisted data to a particular list, that would improve performance to switch to a view box.

Comment

Yes - I use Viewboxes now exclusively, I don't use AA Javascript Actions where they can be avoided, I have full CRUD control, I only have one callback function, ever. I only have one transient message type function ever , what I don't have is 20 Transient Javascript Actions for 20 messages. I have one panel function ever, I have one print function ever, I have one map function ever, I have one of everything, not one for everything I want to do, times the the numbers of times I want to do it, this is where applications in the DOM (in the device) gets slow as it juggles the volume of controls, which is Paul's issue he said 'I have a slow-running mobile application' - I'm saying this is possibly why. It's the downside on no-code option convenience.
                Just saying
                Pete

Comment

Hi Pete,
                  Sorry I misunderstood.
                  It is 29 lists, 58-panel cards, and 1 map and 1 javascript chart it also has 9 embedded components (not needed for offline that contains lists also.
                  I know it is a big UX.
                  I have heard a lot about view boxes, I never used them. But since the data needs to be offline I believe for the majority of my app it can't be used.

Comment

That's way to heavy Paul, how many of the list controls perform Create, Update, and Delete functions?
                    re 'But since the data needs to be offline I believe for the majority of my app it can't be used' - how is the data stored in local storage of the device?
                    Pete

Comment

Hi Pete,
                      thank you for your time.
                      Yes I use local storage and some Client side data cache.
                      Around 10 lists are needed for data entry.

Comment

Paul, question.
                        Can you use the phone as a Hotspot? You mention Cordova so I presume you are using phones.
                        Reason for asking.
                        Tablets can have more processing power than a phone, and piggy backing a phone as a Hotspot can make use of that.
                        It means thinking a bit differently, but your app is, as Pete suggests, a bit large for a mobile.
                        Also depends on 3/4/5G coverage where you are.

In the UK, off line is rare nowadays as nearly everywhere has 4G as a minimum.
                        See our Hybrid Option here;
                        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Paul, first, I'm jealous, because I have a UX that's 12MB, but it only has 6 lists and I have no idea how you got that many lists into an 11MB UX.

I don't know the particular needs, but I would look for ways to combine the lists and the data caches being used for lookups, etc. For example, I've got a single list that holds all the values for my dropdown options. The query is a SQL view with a bunch of UNION joins and one of the columns is the name of the option list. So I could click on a gender field with an onClick event to flter the list by list == 'gender' and then only the options from the gender table are displayed. Or filter by list == 'fee' and see just the fee options. Data caches don't have the baggage of a list, but if lots of data caches are combined into a list you may see increased performance?

Again, I don't know much about list boxes, but they appear to be much lighter; lists just have a whole lot of boilerplate included even at the javascript level. So anywhere you have static data in a list I would definitely look toward a view box.

Comment

Thank you for the responses.
                            On fast devices the application is performance is acceptable. (the newer devices have 4gb and more ram with a good processing speed).
                            The issue is on older or budget devices.
                            From my testing the client sidr data cache do not impact performance. But lists does.
                            I didn't test if a list without details (read only lists) does impact performance.
                            The main issue is to explain that to the client :)
                            It is a replacement of another app(native).
                            When developing I did the testing on my mobile which is fast (it is a new huawei phone 6gb ram).
                            When i started implementing on the customers devices he has old devices (2gb ram) on it the application is not responsive at all.
                            So i need to explain why the new app does not perform as the older one :(
                            I can try to change some lists into viewboxes but this will take time and not sure about the outcome.
                            Ps: i have multiple lists but the lists do not have vr many fields.
                            Thank again for the replies

Comment

Wow very informative posts. Thanks all for sharing. I have a 14 MB ux with about 50 lists running on Android tablet with only 2 GB of RAM. Needless to say it is slow, but does perform a little better of faster tablets. Many decisions we made with this app were when we were first starting with Alpha and didn’t know any better. I now know that View boxes are lighter alternatives to lists, just haven’t had time to convert them.

I did suspect the client-side show/hide and enable/disable firing constantly might be a resource hog, and now that I have heard someone else mention it I will try to move away from using these. Also, I was aware of the “every list gets refreshed” change by Alpha. Luckily, Selwyn had gave me a work around, but good to know it has been fixed.

We also would do things like put code behind a button and then programmatically press the button instead of using JavaScript Actions (hey we were beginners). I am a little confused as to why to try to avoid them Pete. I know Dion recommended them at DevCon as an way to keep all your code in one place as opposed to putting them behind controls that you have to find in your app. They seem like they would be pretty lightweight.

Comment

Working...
                              X