Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Problems deploying updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems deploying updates

Hi guys, good day to y'all !

So, I have a client where I have deployed an application. The customer runs a runtime install. Versions of the runtime and the used development application are equal, build numbers are equal (checked!).
    The developed application runs smoothly on the customers' computer.
    When I want to deploy some upgrades/updates to the app, this is were the horror experience starts.

What I do is create a backup on the development machine with the latest statusquo, and make sure I only select application files in the files tab of the backup window. So, no data will be overwritten. And in itself, that works perfectly so that is not the problem. Next, I go to the client, and first make a total backup of the latest status of the customers application and data, and secure that backup for possible later use. I create 2 backups, 1 total, and 1 only the data files for possible use later if needed.
    Next, I restore the backup I made on the development machine with the latest software (app files only!).

What happens is, that I get error messages telling me that stuff is missing, messages that there are ajax problems, and messages that some stuff on the webcomponents can not be loaded. I have no clue why that is the case. I have a hunch though, and I would like to run that hunch through this community so someone can confirm or, maybe, have better ideas on what's going wrong here.

The customer runs a Windows 11 machine, where the database is located on the c: drive in an application map. In order to share the database with other users on the customers "network" (which in fact is only a windows group!) I have assigned a drive letter to the database directory so other machines can point to that drive easily. This assigned drive letter is Z:
    I have set this drive Z: to allow sharing of files, and I can approach it from other machines where also Runtimes are running. I have not pulled a shadow until now, so it is not yet "network optimized". As the traffic over that shared node is not that heavy, it seems not yet needed and it is a bit easier to update the main database.

However, something is not going right. I constantly get these errors. At first, I thought maybe my backup from the development machine wasn't right, and went and made a new one, checked it thoroughly, went back to the customer where I experienced exactly the same problems with these errors. I suspect, the backup I made also takes into account my own drive letter and file locations? So when I open the customers database from Z: and then run the restore, will it write the restored files back to the original c: location? I have no clue, since this drive letter Z: ofcourse is nothing more than a link to the c: drive on the customers machine. So the files end up there anyways. Looking outside the designated drive letter Z: I can find the database on c: as well.

Bottom line: I am flabbergasted on what goes wrong here. This should be a flawless procedure in order to make it work. If I have to invest 4 hours per update this is not going to work.
    Ofcourse, I am doing something wrong. I know that. I am not blaming the software in any way, shape or form. It's me. Something is going wrong, and the problem is that I simply do not grasp what it is exactly.

I already have pinpointed issues with the automatically generated autoexec file from the Alpha Anywhere menu. That function incorporates a hard link to the database which demands a 100 procent equal location of files on development/customer machines. So I found out I have to manually adjust that in the generated autoexec. file after creation. And that solves that problem. So, my first thoughts were that there was something similar going on here.

Somebody have an idea ?

So, I am thinking there is a "sync error" in settings somewhere where stuff is located. For instance, grids use standard icons in some parts, that are located "somewhere" in that Alpha must be able to find. I can imagine, that somewhere in your app, these locations are stored. Now if you install an app on your customers pc in a different setup, is it the case that those settings do no longer match with what Alpha has stored somewhere. If that is the case, I assume it can be helped by changing these settings somewhere. However, they are not in the "project properties" menu. Is this where (maybe?) "Aliases" come in? How to use those in this situation? I am puzzled.
    It is stated, that using Aliases can help make your app "portable".

Comment

Dont think an Alias will help you.
      If your problem is missing icon images you need to make sure that they are embedded into your app.
      Have a look at the documentation regarding this.
      See our Hybrid Option here;
      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Working...
      X