Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

iis setup problem(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iis setup problem(s)

I have set up the server according to the instructions however I get this error

HTTP Error 500.21 - Internal Server Error

Handler "A5HandlerFactory_A5W" has a bad module "ManagedPipelineHandler" in its module list

Anyone have a clue as to what that means? (beyond the obvious)

I can browse an html page so I am sure IIS is running OK otherwise.
    Last edited by frankbicknell; 07-19-2015, 12:33 AM.
    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Re: iis setup problem(s)

OK I got over that hurdle. Somehow the application pool for the a5 iis app got set to No Managed Code I set it to asp.net 4 and my index page loaded. My index page has login controls After I login I get another error.
    Internal Error 500

Thread was being aborted.
    System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.
    at A5DotNetReentry.?A0xe3730617.A5MakeSystemFunctionCall(CA5CallResult* , CA5RpStack* , CA5DataStringCaseInsensitive* , CA5DataString* )
    at A5DotNetReentry.XBasicSession.Invoke(String Name, Object[] Arguments)
    at A5IISManagedPlugin.A5WWorker.ExecuteEvaluateA5W(String PageDirectory, String PageName, String PageContents, HttpContext Context, HttpResponse Response, HttpRequest Request)
    at A5IISManagedPlugin.A5WWorker.ExecuteRequestImpl()

should a tabbed ui page load in iis? Is there another step that I am missing?
    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

It seems that the issue is how I have the security set. When I set the pages to always allowed and don't load the login page they open OK. I have got to sort out how the security works now.

Comment

Frank - security right now expects that you have enabled component security. A new build is imminent (Monday maybe?) that will not require this. Don't know if this affects you or not, but do watch for another build and try that.
        -Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks Steve. I am going to tinker some more today. I was asked to send my problems as bug reports. It seems like I can work around them. I am just not sure if they are bugs and I don't have spare time to build test cases so I don't know useful they will be. I thought the iis server was further along.

Comment

And the good news is.... The parts I have been able to get to work are loading much much faster. As a matter of fact it is working so fast that I am afraid I might blow some leds in my monitor
            Last edited by frankbicknell; 07-19-2015, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Now for the really good news. I have been able to work out most of the problems I was having with the IIS server. Most of the issues I had were with my lack of experience with the product. It is clearly further along than I am. Almost all of my intranet application runs under IIS just as it does under the Alpha server.

The only remaining issue I have is with Jim Coltz JQCalendar add in. In chrome I get a message 'Fatal error: oninitialRender event not found'. In Firefox and IE the calendar renders but I get no data. If anybody has this sorted out and will share please do r if it is working for you under IIS please let me know. Under the alpha server it runs fine with all three browsers.

Comment

Frank,

You need to make sure you have the latest version of my calendar. There were some changes that needed to be made to make it work under IIS. With the latest version make sure that the updated jqcalendar.aex file and the support page jqcal_datafeed.a5w are published to the server. The latest released versions of A5JQCalendar, ACDS DHX Gantt, and ACDS DXH Scheduler are all working under the IIS plugin on my test platforms.
                Jim Coltz
                Alpha Custom Database Solutions, LLC
                A5CustomSolutions.com
                [email protected]

Comment

Frank,

We are seriously considering upgrading to IIS as well, so thanks for providing feedback on your experience.
                  Given that I have zero experience with IIS, the entire process seems a little daunting, especially since I am dealing with a live system.

Ideally, we would like to port over from Microsoft Server 2008 R2 to Microsoft Server 2012, which brings with it another set of issues such as project migration and keeping the current system live up to the swap over (I'm not sure how the licensing would work).

I also have Jim's calendar component, so will have to upgrade that too.

Stephen
                  Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Thanks for the good news Jim, How do I get the updates?

Hi Stephen, I too am using a live system. Some people may say that is dangerous but so far I have had only a few minor issues that have caused down time. The thing that I do is backup and backup and backup so that I can easily restore my system should something go awry. I have the IIS server and Alpha server on the same machine. I host my own servers. I have the live system running under the alpha web server while I am testing the IIS server both are using the same database, I know, but I backup several times a day so any loss would be minimal. The other advantage I have is security is not a major concern for me since my app is intranet only. I know many can't do it that way. As soon as I get the jqcalendar app working I am going to switch over to IIS. The increase in speed is worth the small risk for me. Another advantage of the iis server is that even though I don't use always up and my server machine has never crashed if something did happen the server would be back up without my intervention.

ps If you follow the instructions you will probably have a much smoother transition than I did.
                    Last edited by frankbicknell; 07-21-2015, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Hi Frank,

We also host our own servers, Dev and App Servers are running as VM's on the same physical machine. Can't argue with any of your logic ... there are 2 kinds of users: those who make backups and those who have never had a system crash. Still, I'd feel better if I could somehow run the IIS in parallel

Originally posted by frankbicknell View Post
                      ps If you follow the instructions you will probably have a much smoother transition than I did.
                      You mean I gotta read???
                      Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Originally posted by frankbicknell View Post
                        Thanks for the good news Jim, How do I get the updates?
                        Also Jim, I have a fairly old version (not sure which), is the upgrade path to IIS compliant version possible & straight forward?

Comment

For those who are playing along at home, I'll add in here that I'm working with Zebrahost to test IIS - it gets them familiar with the setup and allows them to leverage that knowledge if you don't want to do the setup and management yourself.

So far the server setup from Zebrahost seems to have not been a problem, but I am going through some issues with Alpha, so I don't have much to report yet.
                          -Steve
                          sigpic

Comment

Frank,
                            Did you checked if you can run an AA component inside .html page through IIS ?
                            {

Comment

No - AA will have to run in .a5w pages

Comment

Working...
                              X