Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

crop photo for user image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crop photo for user image

Hi there I have a mobile app I'm building, good functionality so far but I am stuck on uploading a user image. The issue I am having is that the photo needs to be cropped. In (for example) my android phone if I want to take a photo of a user for my contacts I...
    1) Open the app
    2) select the option to take a photo
    3) take the photo
    4) crop the photo
    5) done in one app

In A5 I can't find a user friendly way to do this instead I have to:

1) use the camera and take a photo of the user (before I open my app)
    2) open up google photos (or some photo editing software)
    3) navigate to the menu
    4) find the crop function
    5) crop the photo and save it (rotate if necessary too)
    6) open up my app, navigate to the photo upload component I've built
    7) click the upload btn which gives me access to the file system
    8) select google photos
    9) navigate to the cropped photo and select it
    10) done using three different apps

I have had to build instructions to help users understand what they need to do if they want a nice square image orientated the right way but they are ridiculously long and android and iPhone have different photo editing apps and options which becomes ridiculously complex to train users easily.

If I just take a photo I get all sorts of sizing and orientation issues, the end result is poor and users complain it looks cheap.

Any ideas out there in A5 land please?
    Last edited by [email protected]; 07-29-2015, 05:48 AM.

Re: crop photo for user image

Hi Brad,

Look at this thread
    http://www.alphasoftware.com/alphafo...highlight=crop
    Wiki link
    http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/a5_run...mmand+Function
    http://www.imagemagick.org/script/co...ne-options.php
    Not sure this is exactly what you were wanting as this is very much code based no GUI so I am guessing not wxactly what you wanted... but interesting never the less.

If you are wanting a GUI cropping experience then I suggest you will need to use a JQuery tool or some other java-script add-in/tool from the likes of Code Canyon.
    something like this http://codecanyon.net/item/-imagesel...review/4745700

Bruce

Comment

Something like this? http://fengyuanchen.github.io/cropper/

Comment

Hi Bruce,

Mate the http://fengyuanchen.github.io/cropper/ page looks brilliant, but how do I integrate it with the image upload action?

At the moment I have it so you click a btn which fires off the image upload action javascript. In the app this accesses the phones camera and you take a photo then it asks you to save it. At that point when it asks you to save we need the ability to (and the link you provided enables me to articulate my requirement better thanks) to manipulate a cropping container with a fixed aspect ratio of 1:1 that can be expanded or shrunk on the canvas to highlight the face and then save this cropped portion of the photo only.

This was I can get consistent looking images into the app that force the user to download images that conform to a standard ratio of 1:1.

When I try and use the scaling options in A5 I get all sort of image outcomes, wide, short and squished or stretched if you think of a contact list with images all down the left hand side they end up looking like a dogs breakfast, you want them all the same ratio so it looks professional (don't you?).

What would be the steps from here to apply the code in the link you pointed me to? (bear in mind I bought A5 as a no code then later a low code environment I was attracted to the genies so my coding ability for HTML and Javascript is rudimentary at best.

Appreciate your thoughts/ideas. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          Hi Bruce,
          What would be the steps from here to apply the code in the link you pointed me to? (bear in mind I bought A5 as a no code then later a low code environment I was attracted to the genies so my coding ability for HTML and Javascript is rudimentary at best.
          Appreciate your thoughts/ideas. Cheers
          heh heh it's above my pay grade (I am just good at using Google) I don't know know how to integrate it, let me chat with Mike as this is more his gig.

Bruce

Comment

he he he he

Comment

Did you ever find an answer for this? I have a need now myself!

Comment

There are a number of plugins that help with cropping. What, specifically, are the requirements?

Comment

Cropping and resizing after uploading the image.

The user will be creating a custom membership card with several options, so there will be no way to know exactly what will look good until they try it out.

Telling the user to crop it to certain requirements beforehand won't work.

And these will be general public users, so it has to work easily without any training needed.

Comment

Working...
                  X