Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Getting Chinese characters out of MS SQL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Chinese characters out of MS SQL

Anyone outside of China have any success at getting Chinese characters out of MS SQL?

I'm trying to write Xbasic routines or, do something simple such as set up a report data source. And, the data is in field type nvarchar(). And, yes, I've tried a UTF8 SQL connection property.

Selwyn says it's because the server doesn't have the correct code page. But I've added a couple Chinese languages and still no dice (did not re-start the SQL server -- might it be as simple as that?)

An Xbasic retrieval just gets lots of garbage like this: 外场称重并

A report data source definition just returns lots of question marks like ????????

Any successful experience welcomed here.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Re: Getting Chinese characters out of MS SQL

I don't have any experience with this - but here are my suggestions:

How did the Chinese characters get into the data? You'll want to use the same language code, I would think.

Can you see the data properly in MS SQL management studio? If you can't see it in a query window there, you will never see it in Alpha.

Also, it could be a FONT issue. If your computer can't display the proper font to render the characters, it's going to substitute.

Comment

How did the Chinese characters get into the data? You'll want to use the same language code, I would think.
      Typed by users, stored in NVarchar(max) fields.

Can you see the data properly in MS SQL management studio?
      Yes

Also, it could be a FONT issue. If your computer can't display the proper font to render the characters, it's going to substitute.
      Selwyn suggested the server (in Singapore) doesn't have correct code pages. See my original message here - I've added what I believe to be the correct ones, still no joy.
      -Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Have you tried just showing the data in a grid?

I realize that is not the end result you want, but being able to see the data in a grid (or not) might provide some clues.

Also, do you have a local copy or are you doing all the work on the server?

I wonder if - in a grid - you might be able to see the data in working preview, whereas trying to see it in an a5w page (and thus in a browser) might be different.

It is certainly different than seeing it in Management studio.

Further: You could trying setting up an active table over the data. It would be interesting whether you can see the correct data in an Alpha Table view.

These different views might give you some insight into what is happening with the character sets.

Last thought: Take Alpha out of the equation. Can you view the data in Excel or Access?

Comment

Have you tried just showing the data in a grid?
          Yes, works fine.

Also, do you have a local copy or are you doing all the work on the server?
          Working on the production server

I wonder if - in a grid - you might be able to see the data in working preview, whereas trying to see it in an a5w page (and thus in a browser) might be different.
          This works. I have an "input" form and an "Edit" form for the particular instance I need first, and users can see and edit their data in the grid (obviously on the a5w page)

Haven't tried the other suggestions, will see if I can at least run out an Excel copy of a few records later today. But because I can get the Chinese characters with Xbasic, and with Grids (and UX), I sure don't understand why such problems getting it as a data source for reports.
          -Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Well, keep in mind, the reports are not actually running directly from the data. The reports are copied from the SQL tables into a local DB - then the report is run from the report db. If something is happening in translation ....

I'm not sure how - but there has to be a way to see what is actually in the local Alpha DB that the report creates.

Comment

OK, chased that down. No luck. The temporary .dbf created for the report data also contains the same "???????????????" where I should see Chinese characters.
              -Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Well, just tried your suggestion to export from Management Studio to Excel. The Wizard gives me this error referring to the pertinent field:

The conversion returned status value 4 and status text "Text was truncated or one or more characters had no match in the target code page.".
                This lends further credence to Selwyn's assertion that the server probably doesn't have the correct code page (was there ever any doubt?) but so far -- see previous messages -- I haven't figured out how to add it.

I've added a couple what I believe to be the correct code pages. Is it necessary to re-start the SQL server to load 'em? I haven't because this is a 24-hour production machine.
                -Steve
                sigpic

Comment

i have no knowledge of the problem or any insight in solving, but this page seems interesting.
                  http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/~alpha...UTF-8+Data+V10
                  i liked the few sentences in the second paragraph so i am thinking this might be of use.
                  there seems to be a function converting the data to ascii format.
                  do you think there is any use for it?
                  thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                  mysql backend
                  http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                  [email protected]
                  1 914 924 5171

Comment

The text was truncated error could just be that the fields are too big to fit into excel. That happens all the time. It may not have had anything to do with the code page. Try the export again without the longtext fields - just use fields under 255 characters.

I wasn't actually thinking of exporting from MSSQL to excel anyway. I was thinking you could point excel directly at the table using odbc.

But based on what you've said - I think something is happening when Alpha is copying the data from MS SQL into the report DB. Things are getting lost in translation.

I don't know if you have to restart a server when loading code pages, sorry. Even 24/7 servers go down occasionally for maintenance though - and this seems like maintenance to me!

Comment

Gandhi - I'm using a names SQL connection that specifies with UFT-8 conversion (and, I've tried without of course too). But the notes you point to still aren't what I need to use SQL as a report's datasource when the datasource contains Chinese characters. Everything else I've resolved (so far) -- and it is this specific problem that leaves my newest client in Shanghai without full use of the 100 or so reports that they expect.
                      -Steve
                      sigpic

Comment

Hi Steve,

Since you could not make it working try using MS SQL Report services which is quite easy. Create a simple report and see how the Chinese characters are coming out. Try this link: http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2013/07...report-wizard/

Regards,

Doron
                        The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.

Main Web Site: http://www.dFarber.com
                        MS SQL Blog: http://www.dfarber.com/computer-consulting-blog.aspx
                        Convert Ms Access to Web
                        Custom Software Development
                        Alpha Five Development
                        No Interest Loans Application
                        MS SQL Remote DBA

Comment

Thanks Doron, but I don't know how to be clearer: I have 100 EXISTING reports that I need to work with Chinese characters. All these other/new/alternative methods ya'll are so kindly suggesting don't address my problem. I really don't want to completely re-write all these reports (or the majority of them). It just seems to me that since so many other parts of Alpha are working just fine with the Chinese characters there ought to be a way to make EXISTING reports work as well.
                          -Steve
                          sigpic

Comment

I have a bit of confidence that COLLATE can work, but I can't quite figure out how to use it.

For instance, this obviously works:

SELECT S_ID, FAC_ID, Animal_Name, Comments COLLATE Latin1_General_CI_AI as Comments_Chinese

But what would I use to COLLATE to Simplified Chinese, which I think uses code page 936?
                            https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...ql.105%29.aspx

UPDATE
                            Crap. You can do this to find the code pages in your SQL

Code:
                            SELECT [Name], [Description], [CodePage] = COLLATIONPROPERTY([Name], 'CodePage')
                            This verifies for me that the particular COLLATE I want is there. So, this works in Management Studio:

Code:
                            SELECT S_ID, FAC_ID, Animal_Name, Comments COLLATE Chinese_Simplified_Pinyin_100_CI_AI as Comments_Chinese
                            But, sadly, returns the same ???????? in Alpha's report datasource query.
                            Last edited by Steve Workings; 10-05-2015, 08:06 PM.
                            -Steve
                            sigpic

Comment

Hi Steve,

Here is another one for you....

Simplified Chinese - Chinese_PRC_CI_AS
                              Traditional Chinese can be either: Chinese_Taiwan_Stroke_CI_AS ,
                              or Chinese_Hong_Kong_Stroke_90_CI_AS

Simplified Chinese collate:

Code:
                              CREATE TABLE [Steve] (
                              [Name] [nvarchar] (50) COLLATE Chinese_PRC_CI_AS NULL ,
                              [FullName] [nvarchar] (50) COLLATE Chinese_PRC_CI_AS NULL ,
                              [Dep] [nvarchar] (50) COLLATE Chinese_PRC_CI_AS NULL ,
                              [Remarks] [nvarchar] (100) COLLATE Chinese_PRC_CI_AS NULL)
                              Let me know

Regards,

Doron
                              The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.

Main Web Site: http://www.dFarber.com
                              MS SQL Blog: http://www.dfarber.com/computer-consulting-blog.aspx
                              Convert Ms Access to Web
                              Custom Software Development
                              Alpha Five Development
                              No Interest Loans Application
                              MS SQL Remote DBA

Comment

Working...
                              X