Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Web Server Stopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lenny,

This happened to one of my alpha web servers again today. I wasn't in the office to check everything you mention above, so to fix the issue for my customer I contacted the server host provider to restart the VM, knowing that AlwaysUp would then take care of starting the alpha web server.
    I use AlwaysUp because without it I have always found the alpha web server to be unreliable, needing restarting at least once per week.

The best I can ascertain in this instance is that the alpha server was hanging. I asked my host provider to navigate to my app's url (this wouldn't be cached for them) and they said it loaded. I asked them to enter random login credentials and on submission the cursor just showed the spinning wheel and Alpha never returned a message saying that the login was incorrect, which would normally be expected.

This has been an intermittent but ongoing issue for me over the past couple of months, affecting the 2 alpha servers that I have, each on a different VM but with the same hosting company. Prior to that I rarely had any issues.

Alpha Web Server build for both of my servers is 8565-5671.

I have logged a bug report and attached logs.

Comment

Thank you for the details, Richard. I am doing a detailed review of the logs you submitted.

Lenny Forziati
      Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
      Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

For me , it is option #3.

The server appears to be running fine. I can click on the icon in the system tray and it pulls up the server console.

But it won't talk to the internet.

Right click on the server icon and quit Alpha completely, that works fine also.

Then I turn it back on and everything works fine until the next time.

I can also use the restart button in the server, but it seems to shut down more quickly when I do that than if I quit completely.

You should know that I have 4 instances running on different ports. It is only port 443 that exhibits this issue. The other ports/instances continue working as expected.

All instances are currently running 8867,

I will make sure the appropriate logging is turned on and submit a report with this information next time it happens.

it is truly random - I have had it happen twice in one day and I have had it run fine for a week or two before it stops working.

Comment

I am wondering if this issue has been resolved or if any suggestions can be offered.

Also, if AlwaysUp is not supported, is there another way to cause the server to reboot and restart any number of instances on a daily basis?
          Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

I am still working through this with Richard. If anyone else experiencing this problem could submit the requested details, iot would be very helpful.

Lenny Forziati

Comment

Is anyone on this thread having trouble with IIS, or is it just the standard application server? Last week I installed the new Alpha version 9179 for IIS. I installed in its own directory like always, but perhaps it installed some common files uses by my current Application Pools (mostly running on version 8722). I have had three instances since last week where an Application Pool was completely stopped and I had to start it again. The XBasic log has no errors. There are a bunch of Windows Errors. I suppose I can try to send these to Lenny.

Comment

We were experiencing the ‘hanging’ issue several random times a week.

Once this thread was started, we enabled log files and it hasn’t happened again, of course.

Was hoping something was tweaked at Alpha correcting it, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

Also, we are not using IIS, just the regular Application Server.

Comment

We ran into this 'hanging' issue again yesterday and have submitted the log files.

Hopefully, they will show something of value.

Thanks

Comment

This is still happening for to me on my 2 servers running the Alpha WAS (build 9192). It was happening before I upgraded to this build too. Servers hang 1-2 times a week. Only running 1 AA application per server and would never have more than 3 concurrent connections.

I first raised the issue almost 2 months ago. I have noted other posts started for the same issue. Really need a fix.

P.S. I'm operating under a new forum account now as my prior one was inexplicably locked out and pwd resets didn't help. Contacted the site admin by no response.

Regards, Richard.

Comment

Jacko6 - We created a free account with CloudFlare and set up some rules for a WAF. We then had our host, Zebrahost, implement IP restriction to CloudFlare's IP addresses and this seems to have stopped the issue we are having. I submitted our log files to Lenny @ Alpha Software and this was his suggestion. In addition, Alpha is running some tests to see if they can duplicate the issue we all seem to be having and they are looking to root out the problem and fix it. You may want to collect your log files and send them to Alpha -- [email protected]

Comment

Thanks eswindhauser. I actually started this thread under the username rjackson (no longer letting me login) and submitted logs. I didn't get the same advice though.

Perhaps Lenny/Alpha could update everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by rjackson View Post
                          Did anyone who was similarly affected happen to find a cause?
                          We are still having the same issue. It happens about once a week randomly.

I have shared log files and received the same response as others.

Alpha is looking into it but is recommending trying Cloudfare in the meantime. I haven’t had the time or ambition to pursue Cloudfare on our internal server.

Comment

We are having the same issue. As it happens, we are sending Alpha the log files. About once a week, sometimes twice.
                            I know the Lenny and crew are working on it. I appreciate their efforts.

Does anyone have the steps needed to set up Cloudfare and the steps for the Alpha server? I'm not familiar with how to do that?

Thanks,
                            Mike
                            Mike Reed
                            Phoenix, AZ

Comment

I have the issue, but I'm trying to use a runtime app to check if the app server is functional every 5 minutes.
                              If it's not, the app kills the app server program, then restarts it.
                              I should be notified anytime the app restarts the appserver, but I put that code in the wrong part of the script the first time.
                              Now it's just a matter of wait for the app server to stop functioning agan.
                              Gregg
                              https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

We are continuing to investigate this issue as a high priority item. We have built a new test lab where we are continuously running traffic generation and scripted hacking tools in an attempt to duplicate the issue, but to date we have not been able to provoke any unexpected behavior in the Application Server. Recent user-submitted logs have also raised a new potential lead which we are investigating in parallel.

Without being able to duplicate the behavior, it is extremely difficult for us to identify and address the cause of what users are experiencing - but our efforts will be ongoing until we can fully address this. Continued submission of logs and other details is helpful, and greatly appreciated.

Logs that we have reviewed show very high levels of malicious traffic being sent to the affected servers, which is what seems to be provoking the reported problem. As at least a partial mitigation, we are suggesting the use of a Web Application Firewall (WAF). This is a best-practice for any web application server anyway, and it can help protect your server from these malicious connections and requests. We believe that implementing a WAF is very worthwhile, even if the root cause ends up being unrelated to malicious clients, as currently suspected.

Cloudflare is one specific WAF service, but there are others services and products available as well. We are not making a specific recommendation or endorsement of any particular product or service, and we do not officially support any third-party product or service. We will attempt to guide and assist you in working with any WAF, however, we do have the most familiarity with Cloudflare in particular, so we will be able to offer more specific assistance if you choose to use that service.

Lenny Forziati

Comment

Working...
                                X